Royal Air Force [RAF] discussions and updates

neil

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Quote:Neil

Yes, you moderators are saying line after another line, please do not repeat
and repeat already expressed opinions and comments, so pardon when
beg to differ as a columnist.

23801 lines written; " I do think this is not considerable sell-off year 2001
tyre-parts" is looking not yet desirable for us all.

And this time your choice to give one of us a point(s) to consider.

A minor point already written previously, quoting predator
exercise multinationally with (not hoping sadly) predator/reaper/etc.,
jointly and severally; good or not and when the costs are asking attention
what can you say ? Not one joyless mission reduction again in sight.

Thank You for valuation.
What??!? :confused:

Never mind.

ASFC wrote:
As far as I am aware the RAF does not 'pool' its Reapers with the USAF. I have always been led to believe that we base our operators in Nevada because it is cheaper to than to set up the facilities in the UK to run what is currently a fairly small force. (We own three outright.)

BTW, do we have a link that states the UK buy is in danger from budget cuts, or are we just speculating based on the fact that the military is at the moment working under the fear of Whitehall induced cuts across all three services?

I suspect the leasing of River Joint (is it still going ahead?) would be short term, and that once the budget is better, we will probably build replacements for the R1 fleet.

Edit: just delving into the realms of politics quickly. RAF Brass do not roll over. However, as they are supposed to be apolitical, you will never find any of the Armed Forces top brass having a major public argument with the Govt in the UK papers (although retired ones do). No doubt behind the scenes you will find them working hard to stop any cuts.
16 Hours Ago 10:51 PM
There is indeed a link that states the RAF Reaper request was in some doubt due to budget cuts. Perhaps I shouldn't have brought it up since I don't have the link any more.(Can't remember what site it was on.)

As for the credibility of that particular fear, we'll have to wait and see. The MoD says it is wrapping up the next planning round, so maybe all will be revealed soon.

As for the report on the RAF leasing the Rivet Joint, that was from a respected UK aviation magazine. No official word regarding this has been released from the MoD as far as I know.

There seems to be a geniune effort to by the UK to increase its ISTAR capabilities in spite of huge budget difficulties. (ASTOR,Watchkeeper,Reaper,Predator..)

ASFC

RAF Reaper crashes in the Sand pit.

http://defensenews.com/story.php?i=3487241&c=MID&s=AIR

Woops :shudder

Although the crash itself will probably turn out to be insignificant inthe grand scheme of things, I'm interested to know whether the '4-6 Reapers' the MOD was looking at buying before the crash is on top of the first request of 10 or was part of a plan to get around the budget shortfall by buying the UAV's in batches. It also looks like an MOD 'source' has confirmed that the UK is arming its Reapers in the 'near future'.

Last edited:

ASFC

Yep, for Airbus. Although the article did not state which C-130s, i presume they meant the older C1,2&3 variants. As their continued use is down to A-400 delays, if there are more delays, I see Airbus losing the contract and Britain runing back to the US for more C-130's or C17's.

swerve

Super Moderator
Yep, for Airbus. Although the article did not state which C-130s, i presume they meant the older C1,2&3 variants. As their continued use is down to A-400 delays, if there are more delays, I see Airbus losing the contract and Britain runing back to the US for more C-130's or C17's.
Naah. The RAF would just ask for, and get, the extra couple of C-17s it wants anyway, to tide it over until the A400M start arriving. Cancelling the A400M order would probably cost the RAF money, but it gets compensation from Airbus for delays.

Super Nimrod

Agree with Swerve, various sources have suggested that they wanted 8 C-17's all along so they would order a couple more to fill the gap. They are proving so useful I don't see them selling them once the A400 gets into service either.

ASFC

Originally, they were stop gaps. However the need to have more (in the 8-12 region) came about because they proved their usefulnes and the RAF and MOD saw it as an opportunity to replace a long lost capability by buying the at the end of the lease regardless of the A-400's progress. If they were going to dispose of them when the A-400 came on line, they would have just continued the lease rather than buy them.

swerve

Super Moderator
Originally, they were stop gaps. However the need to have more (in the 8-12 region) came about because they proved their usefulnes and the RAF and MOD saw it as an opportunity to replace a long lost capability by buying the at the end of the lease regardless of the A-400's progress. If they were going to dispose of them when the A-400 came on line, they would have just continued the lease rather than buy them.
Agreed, entirely. I see now that when I said "tide it over", it could have been interpreted as a temporary acquisition, but that isn't what I meant.

Pingu

Can someone clarify the UK Predator and Reaper procurement for me, please?

How many Reapers and Predators does the RAF operate and are they actual property of the RAF? I can't tell whether the RAF purchased the UAVs or are just operating US owned UAVs.

Wasn't the Nimrod R.1 supposed to be undergoing an upgrade program called "Project Helix"? I heard that the Nimrod R.1 was supposed to be an excellent asset that was superior in some ways to US equivalent (RC-135s if i'm right). I don't understand why the MoD hasn't decided remanufacture the R.1s in a parellel program to the MRA4. It makes no sense to update the R.1 if the airframe is coming to the end of its days.

I also wonder what will fill the boots of the now retired Canberra PR9. IMINT has lately been carried out by the Nimrod MR2 but what about the future when the smaller MRA4 fleet will no doubt be tied up with Maritime survelience commitments?

I wonder if the Predator and Reaper are essentially going to be seen as a replacement to the Canberra or whether the UK may look into buying Global Hawks. I also wonder whether the UK may decide to go a for something developed from the CORAX with a large wing as a Canberra replacement and alternative to the Global Hawk.

ASFC

The Predators will be owned by the RAF. As to where the personal will be based, I have no idea.

Originally we bought 3 Predators, and 1 Crashed, and we have requested 10 more to buy. Providing no more crash we will have 12 based on current orders (unless we buy a replacement for the crashed one).

swerve

Super Moderator
Wasn't the Nimrod R.1 supposed to be undergoing an upgrade program called "Project Helix"? I heard that the Nimrod R.1 was supposed to be an excellent asset that was superior in some ways to US equivalent (RC-135s if i'm right). I don't understand why the MoD hasn't decided remanufacture the R.1s in a parellel program to the MRA4. It makes no sense to update the R.1 if the airframe is coming to the end of its days.....
Yes, but AFAIK that's purely a systems upgrade. Given the state of the airframes, it would appear to make sense to add a few MRA4 airframes to the build programme & install the kit from the Helix upgraded R.1s, but I fear it will fall foul of funding.

Super Nimrod

From what I have read it is still the intention to upgrade the R1's eventually, but they are at the end of the queue until all the MRA4's are done. However, the UK government may also have half an eye on the progress of UAV technology to see it the really do need a manned platform rather than a stealthy unmanned one with remote sensors. Regardless a decision is probably 8-10 years away so don't bet on anything soon, indeed don't bet on any announcement at all as it will all be done in secret just like the original development of the R1

ASFC

The problem when asking about the R1 is that large parts of it are secret due to the jobs that it is expected to do. What I do know from a source within the RAF is that the Airframes will be replaced, not tagged on to the end of the MRA4 program, but what they replace it I have no idea (apart from those reports on the Joint Rivet lease thing). You will hear very little about the systems they use onboard any replacement either.

neil

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think we will have a better idea of what to expect when the MoD's planning round 08 is done. Since funding from the comprehensive spending review has been released earlier to enable the procurement of the new Royal Navy carriers, it remains unclear what effect this will have on other equipment programmes. (Future Lynx, Typhoon, Nimrod R.1 replacement etc.) It is clear however, that something will have to go.

Hopefully the MoD will realise the importance of having an independant ISTAR capability and will somehow make it happen.

On a different subject.. it's going to be really interesting seeing what the RAF decides to do about its combat forces Afghanistan.

Some reports say they are concidering a joint Tornado GR.4\Typhoon FGR.4 deployment to replace Joint Force Harrier in theatre, using Typhoons as bomb trucks, with the Tornado's 'spiking' targets for them.

harryriedl

Verified Defense Pro
I think we will have a better idea of what to expect when the MoD's planning round 08 is done. Since funding from the comprehensive spending review has been released earlier to enable the procurement of the new Royal Navy carriers, it remains unclear what effect this will have on other equipment programmes. (Future Lynx, Typhoon, Nimrod R.1 replacement etc.) It is clear however, that something will have to go.

Hopefully the MoD will realise the importance of having an independant ISTAR capability and will somehow make it happen.

On a different subject.. it's going to be really interesting seeing what the RAF decides to do about its combat forces Afghanistan.

Some reports say they are concidering a joint Tornado GR.4Typhoon FGR.4 deployment to replace Joint Force Harrier in theatre, using Typhoons as bomb trucks, with the Tornado's 'spiking' targets for them.
according to DID the FLynx is entering full scale production http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/britains-billionpound-future-lynx-helicopter-program-02384/
'The latest developments include the beginning of full airframe production, following a successful design-to-cost program that had better than expected result' so the FLynx is safe

windscorpion

Thats excellent news, the reports earlier in the year about FutureLynx possibly being for the chop were very worrying considering it's potential.

riksavage

Banned Member
A couple of 'good news' milestones have just been reached, which brings or will bring much improved capabilities to the RAF, firstly the UK Reaper UAV used its weapons system for the first time in A-Stan rather than restricting activity to purely surveillance operations, and secondly Typhoons from XI Squadron dropped Paveway 2 munitions and fired their cannons during exercise Green Flag in the US resulting in them being declared combat ready for the target date of 1 July 2008. Thank god the UK finally fronted-up and purchased ammo for the cannons!!!!

Lets Hope the GR9's can now be replaced in A-Stan and be seen gracing the decks of the carriers once more. Hopefully more Reapers will also be purchased on a UOR basis, another eight at least.

harryriedl

Verified Defense Pro
A couple of 'good news' milestones have just been reached, which brings or will bring much improved capabilities to the RAF, firstly the UK Reaper UAV used its weapons system for the first time in A-Stan rather than restricting activity to purely surveillance operations, and secondly Typhoons from XI Squadron dropped Paveway 2 munitions and fired their cannons during exercise Green Flag in the US resulting in them being declared combat ready for the target date of 1 July 2008. Thank god the UK finally fronted-up and purchased ammo for the cannons!!!!

Lets Hope the GR9's can now be replaced in A-Stan and be seen gracing the decks of the carriers once more. Hopefully more Reapers will also be purchased on a UOR basis, another eight at least.
although GR-9 are much better supporting troops in A-Stan than looking good on ships [whats the point in having a capability which your not going to use it]. would be nice to see the Tiffy in A-Stan

swerve

Super Moderator
although GR-9 are much better supporting troops in A-Stan than looking good on ships [whats the point in having a capability which your not going to use it]. ...
Trouble with that is that they're rapidly using up airframe hours, on a very small fleet. We risk not having enough serviceable GR9s if we ever do need them on the carriers.

Meanwhile, it's hard to see what most of the Tornado fleet is doing. Looking good on airbases in the UK?