PAF HERO UNHONORED AT HYDERABAD

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
I knw this story since I was 3 years old..My father has told me this alot of time..& I have herd from others even more than that.

It was 4:45 pm PST September 1965, When Two Indian Intruder Jets crossed the air sapce of Pakistan into the city of Hyderabad in Sindh. Though their orders might have been to target military cantonment whcih was supporting Thur border of Sindh with Gujrat of India, the Jets also opened fire on the City's infrastructure. The IAF had failed to do any serious damage because of the Anti Air Craft Guns but land forces were having trouble cause their anti AC guns didnt cover the entire city. Some how they had to get those IAF Jets come near their Anti AC guns. With in few minutes another IAF jet joined the action. Now land forces had to deal with three Jets. The targets were easy for IAF cause there were only three- The Hyderabad cantonment, The city centre and the Jamshoro Bridge. Luckily Pak army had Anti AC Guns stationed at two of the places- The contonment and the Bridge, But the city centre was left open for IAF and they took it. At about 5:00 pm PST only one PAF F-6 took of from Karachi and reached the Hyderabad city in about 2 mins. The pilot was only informed that there are three Jets and has to keep them busy till other air crafts join him. Busy he kept them alright. The PAF F-6 shot down IAF MiG as soon as it was on its target. It was a quick kill. But it was still two against one. The PAF F-6 by the grace of God was joined by another Jet which is said to be Sabre, stationed at Peshawar. The IAF MiG21 went after the sabre. For now Sabre did not tried & attack the MiG21 but rather acted like he was scared & was trying to run off. The IAF pilot was certainly a fool. He cahsed the Sabre to the Jamshoro bridge or rather say that the Sabre took him to the bridge, where Cemoflaged Anti AC Guns were stationed. IAF MiG21 was shot down with in moments by these AACGs, the injured pilot ejected and was later taken to civil hospital. The last remaing IAF Jet had now come to realize that it was the onlly one left. The Sabre did not make its return to helf F-6. At about 5:28 PM PAF F-6 finaly managed to shoot down the last IAF Jet over the Hyderabad's Rani Bagh.

The score:

PAF - 3

1)F-6 - 2
2)Sabre - 0
3)AACGs - 1

IAF - 0

The real hero in this battle was the PAF F-6 to remember that Herp F-6 PAF and the city of Hyderabad built a monument at RaniBagh where last IAF Jet fell. A F-6 was placed on that monument, some say its a replica some say its the origional plan that fought for the city. But alas the story was not writen on the stones of the monument, nor was it ever told in any books (I think John Frikcer did mention it in his book "Battle for Pakistan"). The people of Hyderabd dont know the story, and the F-6 has turned into a play toy for children. In Past years people have cracked open its cockpit and took any thing the could. There is no respect for this Hero JEt there. The city government has recently rebuilt brokent parts of the Jet and has put a fence around it but it dooesnt stop the kids from jumping in.

The sad part is that waht was placed their to motivate the ppl is it self demotivated by the ppl.

umair

Peace Enforcer
If it was an F-6 then it had to be the 71 war.BTW how can a subsonic plane like the F-86 reach Hyderabad from Peshawar in such a short time period?Also even at a speed of Mach1.7(the F-6's top speed) it would take it atleast 10-12 mins to get from Karachi to Hydrabad.
I'm confused :? :eek :help

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
umair said:
If it was an F-6 then it had to be the 71 war.BTW how can a subsonic plane like the F-86 reach Hyderabad from Peshawar in such a short time period?Also even at a speed of Mach1.7(the F-6's top speed) it would take it atleast 10-12 mins to get from Karachi to Hydrabad.
I'm confused :? :eek :help
I dont knw if it was Sabre or not. My dad told me it was a sabre n now that you raised question I had to ask my uncle who says that it couldnt have been a sabre but rather a mirage or another F-6 and he says it was 1965 cause he with other people in Hyderabad witnessed it and the Monumental Jet reperesnting the victory over RaniBagh is also a MiG19 or F-6 so it was definitly F-6 in 1965. I dont have much info on this story and i cant seem to find any thing on the net.
Also m sorry I didnt wrote the complete story of the Jet from Peshawar...it was transfered to Sukhar region from Peshawar as Indians reached the Bujh sector near sindh border it didnt flew directly from Peshawar to Hyderabad.

(Its not evry easy to read Old news paper clip and that of just 11 lines. The paper has gone yellow and my uncle doesnt let me touch it...besides that I dont have a reference to this story)

I dont knw much except that the story is true. May be I should visit Hyderabad Cant. for this story. I ll do that when I go there and I'll give you the real stats and info on which jets fought 4 PAF. But I can certainly say that the Monumental Jet at RaniBagh is F-6. I havent been there 4 long time, I ll visit the place and reconfirm.

May be I have made lapse in the story !

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ok I found this from Hyderbad cantonment that the second Jet was F-104, they dnt knw if it flew out from Sukhar airport, KArachi, peshawar or any other city. It was just there on time. They say that it was the one of the two Jet that could sprint away from enemy and make him fool enough to follow him. The second Jet which I visited at Hyderabad Ranibagh this weekend happens to be a F-86 or Sabre.