Interesting thread. Here's the way I see it. The primary role of the any defence force is the defence of the nation it serves. I don't think the NZDF has that focus. From a NZ perspective the types of threats facing NZ are
- all low level
- and with the exception of terrorism are all martime based
That means NZ needs a capable navy and maritime air strike capability (P-3's with ASM etc). I don't think a Falklands size force threating NZ is viable, but there maybe something between the low level threat (two of three ships / subs laying mines, threating shipping etc) and a Falklands sized force that could be an issue. Ideally NZ's focus should be on meeting the low level threats and dealing with regional problems.
2 x Upgraded ANZAC's
3 x Corvettes
2 x OPV's
I agree there is room for a 76mm with which the OPV could provide a limited surface combat capability but there is no space for CIWS / Tetral or a limited ASW capability. In addition if you look at the plans on the net, there is no magazine for Maverick, Torpedos or weapons that could provide a ship based helicopter CAS capability. Let the OPV's chase fishing boats and buy corvettes instead.
4 x IPV's (upgraded to 25mm for possible regional deployment)
3 x MCM (Replacing the Diving Tender etc)
1 x Tanker
1 x MRV (Actually I'd like two)
1 x Survery
NZ rejected that idea in the early 80's due to there lack of flexbility (i.e. Disaster relief etc). Until NZ has an reasonable size surface fleet I'm don't think any government could justify buying Submarines.
Actually its more like 20
The army's got a lot of good equipment, just not enough, so I'd be looking to increase as a key area of focus
- Javelin (By international standards were very light on Anti Tank)
- Artillery (Say to 155mm - 3 regular and 2 reserve 6 gun battery)
In addition I'd be looking to stand up a Regular Force Group trained and equiped to operate off the MRV.
A lot of upgrades and modernisation going on at the moment that will see a more capable airforce is some ways. However I would
- Follow the Quigley report and reduce to number of MB339 to about 9-12 and acqurie around 18 second hand combat aircraft. The Combat aircraft provide a deployable force, while the MB339 provide a low level capability.
- Upgrade the ASW processors on the P3
- Acquire a moderate number of ASM
- Increase the number of LUH currently been tendered for to ensure a light attack heli capability
The NZDF has much of what it needs but for NZ's own security and to ensure it can continue to operate effectively in the region it needs an expensive tweak.