NH90 Helicopter Flies Full Fly-By-Wire - First time ever!!!

The Watcher

How would this change things for attack helis like cobras/hinds/apaches?

NH90 Helicopter Flies Full Fly-By-Wire

AIX-EN-PROVENCE, France --- We are very proud to announce for the first time on the world that the NH90 PT3 successfully flies today in Marignane with full Fly-by-Wire (without mechanical back-up).

The trial started at 10.30 a.m. during 50 minutes, the NH90 was flown by:
- Philippe Boutry, experimental test pilot,
- Denis Trivier, flight test engineer, and
- Jean-Claude Rabany, flight engineer.

The PT3 has been converted to the full FBW configuration representative of the serial production. We remind that four NH90 prototypes (PT2, 3, 4 and 5) were equipped with an initial mixed system, FBW on the pilot station and mechanical back-up on the co-pilot station, fitted in the development phase for safety reasons.

In accordance with the NH90 Programme schedule the PT3 will be dedicated to the system qualification flights planned into the FBW maturity programme, together with the participation of the PT4, next to be transformed in full FBW.

The NH90 first flight of a medium size transport helicopter equipped with FBW ever happened in the world represents a major landmark for the NH90 Programme and for the whole community of NAHEMA, end users, industrial partners, and NHIndustries originating this success. On this occasion NHIndustries is very pleased to mark the concurrence with the Centennial commemoration of the first sustained controlled powered flight of the history of the Wright brothers in Kitty Hawk (12-17 December 1903).
A hundred years of continuous technological evolution in aeronautics to which the NHIndustries Partner Companies largely contributed.

URL of this article:
http://www.defencetalk.com/news/publish/article_978.shtml

umair

Peace Enforcer
May be the first FBW flight for a transport chopper, but the first heli ever to fly with full FBW was the first prototype RAH-66 Comanche way back in the early-mid 90s.

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I don't see FBW doing much for Apache or Cobra, Cobra doesn't need it and Apache's misgivings have little to do with handling (it handles quite well). Comanche on the other hand may well reinvent the employment of gunships or more likely add a few tricks and or missions, all of which are a result of a combination of FBW, aerodynamics and a crew friendly cockpit (Apache's biggest shortcoming).

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Gremlin29 said:
I don't see FBW doing much for Apache or Cobra, Cobra doesn't need it and Apache's misgivings have little to do with handling (it handles quite well). Comanche on the other hand may well reinvent the employment of gunships or more likely add a few tricks and or missions, all of which are a result of a combination of FBW, aerodynamics and a crew friendly cockpit (Apache's biggest shortcoming).
At the risk of sounding too futuristic (and the future isn't that far away), can you imagine a hive of Yamaha RMAX's acting as CAS or anti-tank killers and being controlled by a master gunship?

Brings a whole new mwaning to "network centric" warfare. FBW will have much more impact on rotary UCAV's than on manned rotors. I would have thought that the real advantage of FBW lies with rotors that are multitasking on an op. Its the multi mission platform that gains the most out of these technologies. I don't see that it adds much value to an ordinary "single tasking" platform.

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Good points gf0012. Since tactical flight in a rotorcraft is typically a few feet above terrain I don't see FBW adding much benefit to the pilots. That's mainly because the terrain avoidance technology does not exist that will allow say Commanche, to fly 5-10 feet AGL at an airspeed of 120 knots. When they do come up with a practical terrain avoidance technology it will help out immensely. For medium and heavy lift rotorcraft FBW could be a real help, particularly if the aircraft is flying at max gross weight and or is carrying heavy or unusual sling loads.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Gremlin29 said:
Good points gf0012. Since tactical flight in a rotorcraft is typically a few feet above terrain I don't see FBW adding much benefit to the pilots. That's mainly because the terrain avoidance technology does not exist that will allow say Commanche, to fly 5-10 feet AGL at an airspeed of 120 knots. When they do come up with a practical terrain avoidance technology it will help out immensely. For medium and heavy lift rotorcraft FBW could be a real help, particularly if the aircraft is flying at max gross weight and or is carrying heavy or unusual sling loads.
Where I can see a benefit is if someone wanted to upgrade their Hind 24's etc...

The pilot and the EWO could then concentrate on other things abit more readily.``````````

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The Mi 24 would most definately benefit from FBW, it's a medium weight aircraft and in reallity a real pig to fly. The only downside is that there are so many aircraft that are of a simpler design that exhibit superior performance I can't imagine it being practical to consider that cost of upgrading.

A

Aussie Digger

I see that the NH-90 and the Sikorsky UH-60M hhave been shortlisted for Australia's Air9000 project (a project to acquire additional transport helicopters and to upgrade or replace our existing S-70 A9 Blackhawks). The EH-101 Merlin has been dropped. Due to it's massive size and cost no doubt. I personally hope the Government decides upon the NH-90. The Blachawk's fine, but a little small for my liking. It allegedly carries 13 "fully equipped troops". Well all I can say is the 13 troops they fitted in the back of the blackhawk must of had VERY small equipment scales... The NH-90 apparently carries 20 "fully equipped troops in it's cargo hold". A significant increase in capability no? Provided it lives up to it's marketing of course...