New Zealand Army

Lucasnz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Whiskyjack said:
Given that the Govt intends to increase the Army by 1500 troops over the next ten years, lets assume it happens. I think that it should provide scope for the 3 formations, 1 x LAV, 1 X Infantry Battalions and the QAMR as a CAV/ISTAR formation that is made up of LAV and lighter elements.

And can also be used as a third deployable HQ with elements from either of the other Bats while its own squadrons could deploy with the other Bats.

The issue is for me with 6,000 troops what proportion can the army place into frontline units and what proportion need to be in support units such as engineers, artillery, logistics, etc.. and then there are base support that are not generally deployable. As this ratio will effect the make up of the units it will be interesting to see what others think

From what I can see from looking at other armies around 25% to 30% of troops can be located in front line units with 60% to 70% of the army deployable.

If say 65% of the army is deployable that would allow for three 1300 person groups in theory.

Does anyone have any thoughts?
If you have a total force of 6000 and allow for discharge rates of 10-20%, which is where they've been over the years upto 1200 could be undergoing basic training in any one year (Assuming recuirting is happening). A simple calculation full of flaws, but its a guide.

Whiskyjack

Honorary Moderator / Defense Professional / Analys
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Lucasnz said:
If you have a total force of 6000 and allow for discharge rates of 10-20%, which is where they've been over the years upto 1200 could be undergoing basic training in any one year (Assuming recuirting is happening). A simple calculation full of flaws, but its a guide.
Good point I had not even taken this into account. I guess if you have 900 going through basic and a large percentage in non deployable units it sorta cuts the options a bit.

NZLAV

Wow! Nice picture. It certainly shows alot. I think that may be in manuatu, during OP silver warrior.

Mr Brown

Unimog replacement

A few weeks ago the govt annouced plans to spend $80m to replace the armys Unimog fleet. What vehicle would be suitable for this and how far has the tendering process got? Does anyone have an opinion on this?

NZLAV

They need a replacement asap! Someone just died in one yesterday-very sad. Although I dnt think it was the Unimog's fault, but they are 30 odd years old.

Whiskyjack

Verified Defense Pro
NZLAV said:
They need a replacement asap! Someone just died in one yesterday-very sad. Although I dnt think it was the Unimog's fault, but they are 30 odd years old.
yeah I agree it's not the Unimogs, I think they are around 20 years old, coming into service in the early to mid '80s. Haven't heard regarding a project for replacement, anyone have a source?

Cheers

Mr Brown

There was an article about it about a month ago in the ODT. Said that $80m has been allocated to replace Unimogs.

Whiskyjack

Verified Defense Pro
Mr Brown said:
There was an article about it about a month ago in the ODT. Said that $80m has been allocated to replace Unimogs.
Cool thanks, its not listed in the Projects Page at the MoD website, but I guess once it happens it will go fast as it is a no brainer IMO.

NZLAV

80million should buy 300 (I'm not sure at all) but comparing it to the cost of the LOV's they should be able to get the numbers. There is a new unimog in production, that could be an option.

Whiskyjack

Verified Defense Pro
NZLAV said:
80million should buy 300 (I'm not sure at all) but comparing it to the cost of the LOV's they should be able to get the numbers. There is a new unimog in production, that could be an option.
Given recent overseas operations do you think that armour protection should be considered? IMO it needs to be.

RubiconNZ

The Wanderer
Armour Protection

Is there ever a case (finances not included) where armour protection is detrimental weight etc? Should it just be standard issue or on maybe 50/50 basis.

Off the top of my head the NZLav's only have about 30 percent with the extra armour, and again only about 1/3 of the LOVs are, I guess about the same i new trucks is advisable, recent events have shown armour add ons are not hard to do.

Whiskyjack

Verified Defense Pro
Does anyone have any further info on the NZ army structure?

The last I understood to be happening was that 1NZIR was to become the LAV battalion, the 2/1NZIR was to remain light infantry (which would seem to be track as the Solomon’s and ET deployments seem to have been based from this unit) and finally that the Queens Alexandria Mounted Rifles was to become a third unit.

Any comments, corrections or news appreciated.

Edit: After looking at the NZ Army Website and the org charts it had the 2nd Land forces group listing 1NZIR as a Cav unit, as part of the 3rd Land Forces Group 2/1NZIR is infantry and QAMR is attached as Cav.

My guess is that the QAMR will support the 2/1 with LAVs.

Last edited:

Gibbo

Whiskyjack said:
Does anyone have any further info on the NZ army structure?

Edit: After looking at the NZ Army Website .....
Hey not really to-topic but I couldn't help myself! :)

When you stated you'd looked at the NZ Army website I laughed - what a useless website I thought!...but then the joke ended up om me! :p: At last they've revamped the damn thing - it was soooo stale with few updates & annoyingly no news!

They've done a good job - I like it! Glad to see they've added a news section - although I'd like to see the Army News available as PDF download - it's a really good publication which I recommend subscribing to - pity there's only excerpts on the website.

I've always argued the Army was doing itself a dis-service by having a crap website - it's the best tool IMHO for the Army to showcase what it does - essential to boosting public profile (& therefore support) and a good tool to assist with recruitment!

Just hope they keep it all updated regularly - something the RNZAF & RNZN websites could also benefit from (compare to the Aussie websites - they're excellently maintained).

regstrup

Hello everyone

I have been following the topics about NZDF for the last month and have now register as a forum member. So this is my first post.

It has been stated in this tread and others, that the NZ Army is to be increased with 1.500 men/women and that the Queen Alexandra's Mounted Rifles is going to be the third manoeuvreunit in the NZ Army.

Does anyone have an official link that confirmes the increasment of the Army and does anyone have an idea of, how the future structure, strength and task of the Queen Alexandra's Mounted Rifles is going to be ?

Regards
Regstrup

regstrup

I have read most of the reviews, but I was hoping for someting more conclusive about the decision to expand the NZ Army from government or news sources. But maybe it is just a rumour so far ? :D

If we say, that it is not a rumour, is there anyone, who has an clue, idea or opinion about, how the future structure, strength and task of the Queen Alexandra's Mounted Rifles is going to be ?

Regards
Regstrup

Sea Toby

I believe New Zealand's army is under review for the optimised structure. This information was found at their army website. Read this link:

http://www.army.mil.nz/at-a-glance/strategic-plan/default.htm

Currently the organization structure of the New Zealand Army is at this link:

http://www.answers.com/topic/new-zealand-army

Furthermore, the army is understaffed. Therefore the government is attempting to bring the personnel numbers up with more recruitment.

I would suggest until the NZ army is up to staff, there is no hurry to increase the size of their land forces.

RubiconNZ

The Wanderer
Where to begin..

Sea Toby said:
Furthermore, the army is understaffed. Therefore the government is attempting to bring the personnel numbers up with more recruitment.

I would suggest until the NZ army is up to staff, there is no hurry to increase the size of their land forces.
The best first step is to bring the private pay Scale up above 26,000 NZD, what a joke, it is barely above the minimum wage, start there and the NZ gov can look at increasing its ranks, even the allowance of women in combat roles has not done much to boost numbers despite them not upping the physical requirements of female recruits.

kiwitrooper

I was in the NZ army,as a NZLAV crewman and prior to that M113.

I was posted from QA sqn in 04 to 1RNZIR (QA was being disbanded in those days),once I realised the way NZLAV was to be used and being under command of an infantry battalion. I promptly handed in my release, as did quite a few other experianced operators.

It makes me laugh when I hear about 1RNZIR re roled as cav! As most crews are infantry converts.
Also there are around 25-30 NZLAVs parked up on blocks as there are no crews!
QA has had no live ammo this year for training! There was only enough ammo in the country to conduct a lav gunners course, I hope there was war reserves!
As for structure, well there is'nt any really, the worst thing the army did was post guys to 1RNZIR, if they had of just converted QASQN to lav they would still have close to two fully trained and experianced sqns.

I still keep in touch with a few guys who are still in QAMR and morale ain't high.:(