New Caledonia + French South Pacific

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
BTW it is likely it won't get independence, but the way this was structured, allows multiple votes to happen. In diffusing the tension in the 1970's and 1980's it was all lumped into the future. The future is now.

France has flown in 150 additional security officers to help during this period.
What New Caledonia could look like after independence vote
After 165 years of French colonisation, New Caledonia's Kanaks could win independence

This event may have on-flows to other pacific nations and tensions between nations. It is likely even after the vote it will be much higher on Frances radar. The Pacific region has a number of areas that are voting on independence and this may embolden or raise pressure on other areas that are calling for a vote.

There is also a lot more pressure on colonial powers to give up possessions.

We could be watching the final fall of pacific colonialism.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Yep, the votes today and whilst the expectation is that the vote will non to independence, some of those who support the oui vote, may take a very dim view of the result, spit the dummy and chuck their toys out of the cot. Historically the French haven't been noted for their delicate handling of indigenous populations strongly advocating for freedom from French colonisation, if the Kanaks go on the warpath again, it will be of concern not just to Australia but also NZ because that will invite meddling by outsiders such as China, Russia and non state actors. It also creates domestic tensions for Australia, NZ and many Pacific Island nations because the modern Kanaks are Melanesians who have intermarried with Polynesians many generations ago, so if there is a perceived harsh French response to Kanak secessionists, then there could be a Polynesian backlash against French interests in South Pacific nations including Australia & NZ. If this happens the French will become really concerned, because in their eyes the next domino to fall will be Tahiti and its surrounding islands. I think that this threat actually informs their response to this particular independence referendum.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
This referendum thingy in New Caledonia is interesting for me since they keep repeating referendum with 'stay in french' keep winning..

I wonder if for once pro independent win..will they're going to accept another referendum ?.. considered pro French and pro independent has in average less in 10% difference ?
The way I read the article..the pro French does not want another referendum..