Movies that has to do with military

armage

I'm just interested in seeing some movies (plus I'm bored to death because I wrecked my moms car and grounded) that has to do with the military (doesn't matter how old or new, but tangible to get) seen some but need your opinion on some good ones.
Thanks!

USAF32093

Well for a movie, I would suggest Stripes. A comedy with Bill Murray where he joins the Army:ar15 It's one of my favorite comedy (military) movies. That is if thats what you're looking for. You're probably un-grounded by now right?:)

nevidimka

Although I'm an aviation fan, when it comes to movies I think Submarine movies are hte best as the story are always dark, gripping, tensed because it happens down below hundreds of feet of water in the ocean. You should check out submarine based movies, like :

Below.
U-571
K-19
Crimson Tide
Hunt For Red october

Aviation :

Top Gun
Behind Enemy Lines,
Firefox

Army :

Peacekeeper
Blackhawk Down

WW2 titles:

Enemy at the Gates
Pearl Harbour

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Although I'm an aviation fan, when it comes to movies I think Submarine movies are hte best as the story are always dark, gripping, tensed because it happens down below hundreds of feet of water in the ocean. You should check out submarine based movies, like :

Below.
U-571
K-19
Crimson Tide
Hunt For Red october

Aviation :

Top Gun
Behind Enemy Lines,
Firefox

Army :

Peacekeeper
Blackhawk Down

WW2 titles:

Enemy at the Gates
Pearl Harbour
What, no Saving Private Ryan or Kellys Heros, you gotta watch the second movie that I mentioned, typical American tankers.:eek:nfloorl:

Last edited:

the road runner

One of the best WW2 Submarine movies is "DAS BOOT",or THE BOAT,you should check it out if you have not seen it.Liuve the FEAR of depth charges and see how the crews live.....makes you wonder.

Also WW2 i love the HBO series BAND OF BROTHERS,and i heard they are making a new HBO series set in WW2 in the Pacific thearter,has anyone heard or know of this HBO series/whats it called?

Love "Kellys Heroes",you kow a bunch of US gi steal gold of the Nazis behind enemy lines,a classic in my eyes.
Patton is a great film

Modern is

Blackhawk Down....i love the shooting scenes ,really great camera work
Platoon.......Awsome
We were soldiers..........Good
"Flags of our fathers" ,and "Letter form Iwo Jima"<<< i thought this Movie from the Japanese point of view was awsome

WW1 there is only one movie if your an Australian and thats
"Gallipoli" a movie thyt has to make you think of the waste of war.

ASFC

Tooooo many modern films.

The must see list has to include (although it is not conclusive):

The Great Escape
The Guns at Navarone
Bridge on the River Kwai
Kellys Heroes
Dirty Dozen
The Bridge at Remagen
Das Boot (directors cut)
The Eagles have landed
Where Eagles dare
The Heroes of Telemark
Escape from Athena
K-19: Widowmaker
The Hunt for Red October
Saving Private Ryan
A Bridge too Far (a bit long, good for rainy days)
Behind Enemy Lines (don't go near the sequel though, its rubbish)
Schlinders List
Von Ryans Express
The Big Red One
We were Soldiers
Apocolypse now
Battle of the Bulge
Battle of the RIver Plate
Ice cold in alex
Letters from Iwo Jima
Downfall.
Tora Tora Tora
Blackhawk Down
Enemy at the Gates
The Dambusters

I have probably missed a few good ones, but if you get through that list then you have seen a good selection.

Pathfinder-X

Tribal Warlord
Verified Defense Pro
Apocalypse Now is the best out of films portraying Vietnam, with Platoon being a distant second. Rather than using violence as a mere spectacle for amusement, it carries alot of symbolism and themes. Platoon shares alot of common themes with Apocalypse Now, but is nowhere as refined.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Apocalypse Now is the best out of films portraying Vietnam, with Platoon being a distant second. Rather than using violence as a mere spectacle for amusement, it carries alot of symbolism and themes. Platoon shares alot of common themes with Apocalypse Now, but is nowhere as refined.
Hamburger Hill was pretty good also, but would have to agree that Apocalypse Now is a classic. CHARLIE DON`T SURF!, this was my companies motto when I was serving a tour with 1/72 Armor C company in South Korea. Why they picked this as a company motto is beyond me, but they were quite proud of it.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Okay, I have the urge to contribute here. For starters, take a look at imdb.com, as it is a good searchable movie database.

My personal picks which have not been listed here are...

84 Charlie MoPic
A Walk in the Sun
To Hell and Back
M.A.S.H
Glory
Band of Brothers
Down Periscope
The Pentagon Wars
The Patriot
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World

There are others, of course, not to mention getting into even earlier time periods (Ancient Europe, Middle Ages, etc) or older movies, some made during WWII like A Yank in the R.A.F.

-Cheers

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Purgatory (Chistilische/Чистилище) and The Storm Gate(Grozovie Vorota/Грозовые Ворота). I don't know if you can find Purgatory in english even with subtitles, though. It's honestly one of the most realistic war films I've ever seen. K-19 is a good one. I enjoyed it a lot, despite my bias against western films about Russia.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Last edited:

nambuzle

um...

Pre-WWII

All Quiet on The Western Front (GREAT movie)
Troy (meh.)
300 (already said)

there are more like...

Jarhead, Platoon, Braveheart, Zulu and loads more!!

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro

Below.
U-571
K-19
Crimson Tide
Hunt For Red october

Aviation :

Top Gun
Behind Enemy Lines,
Firefox

Army :

Peacekeeper
Blackhawk Down

WW2 titles:

Enemy at the Gates
Pearl Harbour
Crimson Tide
Hunt For Red october
Enemy at the Gates
Behind Enemy Lines,

These 4 are worth a watch, especially Crimson Tide. A good example of a nuclear dilemma.

dragonfire

I recently saw Sea of Sand, a WWII movie about how a British Patrol (albeit with irregulars) is sent to find and destroy Rommel's Fuel dumps, it has a really diff/funny/sarcastic, yet realistic ending

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another Non-English Language War Movie

"Ji Jie Hao" (or Assembly International: English Title) a US$11 million Feng Xiaogang movie with a IMDB Rating of 7.

In this movie, the 47 lives were remembered, and honored, but when can history show some respect to the "lost of countless lives" (using the words to describe the contribution the team made in the movie).

nevidimka

What, no Saving Private Ryan or Kellys Heros, you gotta watch the second movie that I mentioned, typical American tankers.:eek:nfloorl:
NO, that was just from the top of my mind. I saw Saving Private Ryan, and maybe Kelly's heroes too coz the storyline is the same as a war movie I saw before, just don't remember the name.
And regarding Saving Private Ryan, I saw this joke on the title " Shaving Ryan's Privates".. and every time I see some1 mention the original title, its the lewd 1 that keeps coming up in my mind. :eek:nfloorl:

I think we can now add Valkyrie to the list, although we may have to out up with Tom Cruise's beauty poses here and there.

For the future, I hope they make a movie on the Kursk.

And recently I came to know movie that is Russian. Whereby a Russian test pilot who hijacks a supposedly next gen Sukhoi fighter (PAK FA?) to bomb the White House. I believe there are western actors in the movie but I think the movie language is in Russian. Perhaps Feanor can help on it. I forgot the title though. I cant find any pictures of that prototype plane in the net other than a movie poster.