Welcome to DefenceTalk.com Forum!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Military Questions for a novel

Discussion in 'Strategy & Tactics' started by ylapointe, Jun 7, 2019.

Share This Page

1. ylapointe

ylapointe New Member

Not sure if this is in the correct section but here goes.

So I'm currently writing a story and I'm trying to understand how a certain situation would be handled in real life.

So the situation in the story:

There is a clandestine US research facility hidden in the mountains of Japan. Some unknown catastrophic events happen inside the facility which cause all contact with the facility to be lost. Any and all attempts to get back in contact fail (including sending troops in). With no other course of action the US sets up a monitoring base a couple Kilometers away and monitors the facility. After 15 years something finally comes out of the facility. Troops are sent in immediately to capture it. A fierce battle happens in the woods before the troops are wiped out and the thing continues its way down the mountain, destroying the base and getting away. There are no survivors (or limited survivors). A while later, after some complaints about hearing gunshots in the woods, local Japanese police arrive at the scene to investigate. Shortly after they begin they are interrupted by (???) agent who bars them from further investigation and lets them know the area is US territory/soil/etc. After they leave the (???) agent makes a call to his superior letting him know the damage.

The Questions:
    • Which branch of the military would be sent for monitoring the facility? Army, Marines, Navy?
    • Who would be in charge of oversight of the monitoring base? (I'm assuming an officer of whatever branch from previous question. A Lieutenant, Captain, Major, Colonel? )
    • What US department would all of this be under? Department of Defense? CIA? etc... who does (???) answer to?
    Any help is appreciated, thank you!

-Yuri

2. Redlands18

Redlands18 Active Member

The best advice I could give you is irrespective of which Service you use, is get the small things right, do your research on Rank structure, equipment and Weapons. There is no excuse for having a Gunnery Sargent in a US Army or AF unit, that is a Marine Corps Rank.

3. ngatimozart

ngatimozart Super Moderator Staff Member Verified Defense Pro

This is not a US centric forum, nor a place of research for novels. Regarding US military ranks I would suggest that Wikipedia has a good listing of the appropriate ranks for each branch of the US military. As with any clandestine activity who provides security is dependent upon who is running the operation. Like Redlands says, you must undertake thorough research especially if it involves any military. A suggestion, read some of Tom Clancy's earlier work, especially Red Storm Rising, Cardinal In The Kremlin, and Hunt For Red October.

4. ylapointe

ylapointe New Member

duly noted! thanks.

Redlands18 and ngatimozart like this.