Merchant navy transfer to RAN

timbo

I am a Royal Navy medal collector and researcher in England. I have recently acquired a set of WW2 medals to Gordon S Miller, a trimmer who joined the Merchant Navy in October 1939. He was born in Melbourne in 1918. What I cannot understand is that all his medals are named to the M N but the last ship he served on was HMAS Colac , a mine sweeper. How is this possible ? Any help or explanation would be most welcome. Kind regards TimIMG_20210228_131336_1CS.jpg

alexsa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I am a Royal Navy medal collector and researcher in England. I have recently acquired a set of WW2 medals to Gordon S Miller, a trimmer who joined the Merchant Navy in October 1939. He was born in Melbourne in 1918. What I cannot understand is that all his medals are named to the M N but the last ship he served on was HMAS Colac , a mine sweeper. How is this possible ? Any help or explanation would be most welcome. Kind regards TimView attachment 48049
Good day

I expect he transferred across to reserve service. The Australian War Memorial is usually useful for this information noting this reference has been used in the past to develop lists of service personnel coming from particular towns and does provide some history.

australian war memorial records - Bing

Post script ...

DVA's Nominal Rolls

DVA records have him as a trimmer on the Colac as his last ship and still have him as merchant navy. This could be data transfer issue.

Last edited: