Malaysia going Nuclear

Tavarisch

The thread title is a bit misleading. So, PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!

There is a plan to build a nuclear power plant in Malaysia. A tentative date has been set : Post 2020. The cost in US dollars? A projected 3.1 billion.

The government says it will be done not of probability, but out of necessity.

Everyone is welcome to object or agree to this decision. Personally, I think it's a step forward for Malaysia. With what all the declining supply of our petroleum (thanks to you Brits for exploitation :D ) and inflation and every other possible bad thing related to the economy, I think this will attempt to alleviate our problems. I sincerely hope though that they have controlled methods to ensure a meltdown doesn't happen. I don't want our country to be South East Asia's Chernobyl.

You are also welcome to post your reaction to this and make projected reactions of surrounding nations. The US won't be happy about this I think. Singapore should definitely go nuclear though, given that they are relatively small I think one plant would be enough to power up the whole city/nation. They've got the funding.

Here is the article that I read from :

http://www.post1.net/lowem/entry/malaysia_looking_at_building_its_first_nuclear_power_plant

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I assume it is going to be hard for Singapore if they want to find a place which is at least some km away from their populated areas... :D

Putting a nuclear pwer plant into a relatively low populated area is much more comfortable than putting it right into your 4million city state.

Tavarisch

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I assume it is going to be hard for Singapore if they want to find a place which is at least some km away from their populated areas... :D

Putting a nuclear pwer plant into a relatively low populated area is much more comfortable than putting it right into your 4million city state.
Yeah, but I'm sure they can find some place to put it. Maybe they can do land reclamation like we are doing in Penang?

Red

Yeah, but I'm sure they can find some place to put it. Maybe they can do land reclamation like we are doing in Penang?
Underground.

http://www.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne+News/Singapore/Story/A1Story20081205-105863.html

There has been some noises from both Indonesia and Malaysia and other Asean countries about going Nuclear. But i think it is far off into the future. Many of these countries are beseted by various economic, growth and financial problems. More importantly, they have yet to reach the technological maturity to build these plants well and maintain them. I do not foreclose the possibility of one built out of nationalistic needs. But the latter country would have to bear the burden and risk of a nuclear fall-out. Alternatively, they could opt for foreign plants. But that would be costly and possibly out of reach of most Asean countries.

Red

You are also welcome to post your reaction to this and make projected reactions of surrounding nations. The US won't be happy about this I think.
Why is that? I thought there is a difference between building relatively harmless civilian plants as compared to building plants which can be used to produce nuclear weapons. Of course, no one will tolerate Malaysia with nuclear armaments.

Grim901

Why is that? I thought there is a difference between building relatively harmless civilian plants as compared to building plants which can be used to produce nuclear weapons. Of course, no one will tolerate Malaysia with nuclear armaments.
I don't see America having a problem with it. Malaysia is a fairly stable, modern country. And there is a difference between reactors and weapons, as long as the whole thing isn't done in secrecy (see N. Korea and Iran) the international community won't mind.

nevidimka

Nothing new. Indonesia is also planning to go Nuclear. Personally I dont like Nuclear stations inside ASEAN, because the countries are so close together, a fallout will affect the whole ASEAN through no fault of the other countries. Europe, up to scandinavia was affected from a reactor in Ukraine, imagine what will happen to ASEAN countries all closely spaced together? That is my biggest worry.

Lets hope that whoever goes nuclear in ASEAN shall never suffer that fate.

But if there is no other way due to the diminishing OIL supply, then it is a unwanted necessity. B4 that how much of the plants producing energy using OIL, can be covered by a 1000MW reactor?

Tavarisch

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't see America having a problem with it. Malaysia is a fairly stable, modern country. And there is a difference between reactors and weapons, as long as the whole thing isn't done in secrecy (see N. Korea and Iran) the international community won't mind.

Malaysian Politics? Stable?

I beg to differ I'm afraid. Our political system is a pyramid on it's tip. We've got so much infighting in Parliament, so many unnecessary religious and ethnic disputes. Corruption is as they say in Malay, "berleluasa". It's uncontrollable. Even the Anti-Corruption agency is rumored to be corrupted. If you had enough evidence, you could probably implicate the whole government. It's all linked. It's not gonna be long before someone will throw a wrench into our crippling political machine. And once that happens, Boom civil war.

And the thing about the US being unhappy.... I don't think we can say the same about Syria now can we? But I understand the situation, mainly being that Syria is within close proximity to Israel. There are some instances though where the US was unhappy with us. Anwar Ibrahmim's case for instance. He's got US Senators backing him up. In fact, I recall that Condolezza Rice made an official statement against our way of treating his case.

nevidimka

Btw, doesnt Malaysia have a nuclear research facility named Tun Hussein Onn nuclear facility or something? I remember reading it a long time ago.

Chino

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro

How thoughtful of you.

Unfortunately...

IIRC I read somewhere long ago - when Malaysia first talked about going nuclear - Johore was one of the potential locations for the reactor.

To those who don't already know, Johore is the state closest to Singapore. How close? The stretch of sea separating us is about 2km wide at its narrowest.

They never pass up an opportunity to push our buttons.

More than 10 years ago, they built a huge oil refinery in Johore near Singapore. It is visible from my highrise apartment that's deep in the middle of Singapore.

At night, our sky, never very dark, is now even brighter as the bloody place belches flame and smoke 24/7.

Red

You must be staying somewhere in Ang Mo Kio. Line of sight guess...You can`t really see from Woodlands or West of the Causeway. I see it often from regular fishing trips to the Kelongs off Mihad Jetty; before it was demolished :( I think you can see it from the Bottle-Neck Tree Village.

nevidimka

How thoughtful of you.

Unfortunately...

IIRC I read somewhere long ago - when Malaysia first talked about going nuclear - Johore was one of the potential locations for the reactor.

To those who don't already know, Johore is the state closest to Singapore. How close? The stretch of sea separating us is about 2km wide at its narrowest.

More than 10 years ago, they built a huge oil refinery in Johore near Singapore. It is visible from my highrise apartment that's deep in the middle of Singapore.

At night, our sky, never very dark, is now even brighter as the bloody place belches flame and smoke 24/7.

Why is selecting Johor pushing your buttons? Johor seems like a perfect place for the reactor. In terms of transport, shipment, electrical grid, etc2.

Its not Malaysia's fault if "being deep inside Singapore" is still a stone's throw away due to Singapore's size, or lack of it. :eek:nfloorl:

And lastly, it gives you an experience of how it looks like when your country has Oil. Not too bad isn't it?

Red

Does it matter where you put it? A fall-out from any reactor(assuming) in Singapore or Malaysia will affect just about anywhere in the peninsula and Singapore and parts of Sumatra. Malaysia is small. Singapore is even smaller. Now, Im not an expert on this but I recall reading newer and safer reactors which will ensure that the possibility is practically nil. Also; why would you want to build a key power plant within reach of a potential foe?:D Just look where Syria and Iran built thiers. I just love the talk that goes around amongst politicians up north and in the region. Sometimes, a little reality check will do wonders.

I could not agree with you on the part about oil. It is a stark reminder that we should persistently and consistently work smart to be successful. Considering that we do relatively well and earn relatively more(than many countries who have oil) in the end is pretty darn good. An example is that much of that oil around the world eventually goes to Singapore to be refined so we get a substantial portion of that black gold profits whislt having nothing. :) We should keep at it.

Last edited:

dragonfire

On a side note was just wondering if Malaysia is a signatory of the CTBT, and if there were any other countries in the vicinity (South East Asia) who are not signatories ?

Clean Energy Resources like Nuclear Power will be very critical for developing nations - so - go Malaysia

Although I am not deeply aware of the regional geo-politics, am sure if Malaysia becomes Power Surplus then Singapore can buy power from Malaysia without having to invest in Capex intensive ventures like Nuc Power generation

the road runner

Interesting topic
I think nuclear power is the way to go for the world.The only problem is where do you put your nuclear waste?Every reactor will produce waste,and what do you do with that waste?Send it to Singapore/Malaysia/Indonesia/Australia?
I think that if you are going to build a nuclear reactor, you should have already answered the question of were to store the waste before you construct the reactor.

So my question is where will you store the nuclear waste:confused:?

nevidimka

Does it matter where you put it? A fall-out from any reactor(assuming) in Singapore or Malaysia will affect just about anywhere in the peninsula and Singapore and parts of Sumatra. Malaysia is small. Singapore is even smaller. Now, Im not an expert on this but I recall reading newer and safer reactors which will ensure that the possibility is practically nil. Also; why would you want to build a key power plant within reach of a potential foe?:D Just look where Syria and Iran built thiers. I just love the talk that goes around amongst politicians up north and in the region. Sometimes, a little reality check will do wonders.

I could not agree with you on the part about oil. It is a stark reminder that we should persistently and consistently work smart to be successful. Considering that we do relatively well and earn relatively more(than many countries who have oil) in the end is pretty darn good. An example is that much of that oil around the world eventually goes to Singapore to be refined so we get a substantial portion of that black gold profits whislt having nothing. :) We should keep at it.
So what? Singapore is gonna be dumb enough to bom a nuclear reactor that sits right on its border? Looks like its not just the politicians up north that needs a reality check. Syria and Iran is not building their nuclear reactors legally. So if Malaysia is to go ahead it will have full international approval and will be completed. There wont be an opportunity to bomb it halfway.

Getting the profit out of anothers work? Is it like Singapore not sending a single warship to the Somalia when it depends on shipping for its survival? ( or did it?)

nevidimka

Interesting topic
I think nuclear power is the way to go for the world.The only problem is where do you put your nuclear waste?Every reactor will produce waste,and what do you do with that waste?Send it to Singapore/Malaysia/Indonesia/Australia?
I think that if you are going to build a nuclear reactor, you should have already answered the question of were to store the waste before you construct the reactor.

So my question is where will you store the nuclear waste:confused:?
You will always have to store your own waste, or you could have an agreement with Russia to send it there for reprocessing if I'm not mistaken. but I believe if you own a reactor, you should store your own waste.

nevidimka

How thoughtful of you.

Unfortunately...

At night, our sky, never very dark, is now even brighter as the bloody place belches flame and smoke 24/7
Can you get a picture of it in the night? Maybe we can more clearly assess your grouses. :D

Uhu

"Going nuclear" nowadays is - to sum it up - idotic. It's OK for countries that have nuclear power plants to keep them running but it's a shortsighted and a huge waste of money to built them and the needed infrastructure for it up from scratch. Like oil fissible material is a limited resource an the consumption already outruns the production by over 50% - the remaining currently comes from recycled nuclear weapons. This means the price of fissible material will rise, if not skyrock in the next years.

Does Malaysia have any notable reserves of uranium? I guess not. Does it have the facilites to process the nuclear fuel from it? To reprocess the spent fuel?
No and no. So Malaysia will have to spent HUGE amounts of money not only to built the power plant, but also to operate it. Money that's better spent in investigating and building up renewable energy sources that have a future, something that nuclear fission HAS NOT.

The best estimates I've ever seen is that we have enough fission fuel for about 160 year - which includes optimistic, highly speculaive guesses of uranium reserves not known yet and uranium mining costs 325% higher than we have now.
Current mines will be exhausted in 25 to 45 years.

Red

So what? Singapore is gonna be dumb enough to bom a nuclear reactor that sits right on its border? Looks like its not just the politicians up north that needs a reality check. Syria and Iran is not building their nuclear reactors legally. So if Malaysia is to go ahead it will have full international approval and will be completed. There wont be an opportunity to bomb it halfway.
When I wrote that the politicians up north needs a reality check, I mean that it does not matter where you place the nuclear reactors as radiation leaks can affect the whole peninsula.

Further,I believe a nuclear plant is not going to blow up like a nuclear bomb. There is a difference.

http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/inf06.html

In the event that there is global objection to the on-going construction of reactors(assuming it is in the hands of a rogue goverment or not) it would not be too smart to build them so close to a potential foe; would you not think so? :D Hence; the reference to Syria and Iran. And now, I think you should include Iraq as well.

Spec-ops teams can even take over them.

Getting the profit out of anothers work? Is it like Singapore not sending a single warship to the Somalia when it depends on shipping for its survival? ( or did it?)
You mean you do not want to work smart and be competitive? Ever heard of the free market?

Singapore has been sending ships to Persian Gulf long before you sent ships to protect your ships from pirates.
And they will be sending ships to Gulf of Eden as part of US led coalition ships. Feel free to join us.