Leaving RAF want to join RAAF

careena

Hi,

I am due to leave the RAF in 2013 so i have started my resettlement. i do not want to leave military life as i love it.

Is there a way that i can leave the RAF and join the RAAF?

Any hints, tips and advise is welcome.

Thanks

Careena

Last edited by a moderator:

riksavage

Banned Member
Contacting a recruiter would be a good place to start. Just a guess.
Depending on your trade there are lots of opportunities in both Aus and NZ. Lots of Brit's have moved across and retained rank. A number of Apache pilots have transferred over to fly the new Aus recon helos. The NZ government advertises in UK Navy News, so the transfer process is in-place and tried and tested. As Feanor pointed out write to the Aus RAAF recruiter, check on-line or try and speak to the military rep at the High Com in London.

ARRSE dedicate an entire blog to the transfer process, I'm sure EGoat have a similar forum going.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Hi,

I am due to leave the RAF in 2013 so i have started my resettlement. i do not want to leave military life as i love it.

Is there a way that i can leave the RAF and join the RAAF?

Any hints, tips and advise is welcome.

Thanks

Careena
There has been a significant surge in requests from RAF pilots to go to RAAF. It was a pretty easy process in the past but both Army and RAAF have hit their establishment so it would be difficult in the current climate. The requests have gone up since UK MOD got hosed. A number of ex RN pilots are looking at RAAF,

RAN is a different story, a number RN and Canadians are looking at transferring over and RAN is not at establishment

Either way would be seek official direction because everyone is assessed individually and the current freeze from other Commonwealth DF's to RAAF/Army might change.

again, helo drivers (probably) and ex submariners (definitely) have a better chance.

careena

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
There has been a significant surge in requests from RAF pilots to go to RAAF. It was a pretty easy process in the past but both Army and RAAF have hit their establishment so it would be difficult in the current climate. The requests have gone up since UK MOD got hosed. A number of ex RN pilots are looking at RAAF,

RAN is a different story, a number RN and Canadians are looking at transferring over and RAN is not at establishment

Either way would be seek official direction because everyone is assessed individually and the current freeze from other Commonwealth DF's to RAAF/Army might change.

again, helo drivers (probably) and ex submariners (definitely) have a better chance.
Ok thanks. i would be looking at going air traffic to air traffic. i have looked on the Australian defence website but couldnt really find any info that helped me. i need to find a point of contact who can point me in the direction to get my ball rolling.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
i need to find a point of contact who can point me in the direction to get my ball rolling.
I suggest that you contact any of the australian liaison officers in your current loc first.

Defence Force Recruitment won't be much of a help in this case.

umair

Peace Enforcer
Off topic but I've come across a number of RAF people on the net wanting to transfer to other forces lately due to the hose down given by the UK MOD. Even at Pakistani forums a flying officer of Pak descent currently on Hawks is asking around about transferin to the PAF. I just wonder what sort of effect this is having on the organisation's general morale attitude etc?

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I just wonder what sort of effect this is having on the organisation's general morale attitude etc?
we have very real concerns that they're bleeding corporate knowledge and might not catch up when they need to

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
you can i think its like an exchange you go into the RAAF and somebody goes into the RAF i think thats how it works
There is no reciprocity requirement on transfer to another country's military.

There never has been.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Brodie, gf0012-0012 is not the subject of this thread, another user is. Try re-reading the thread from the beginning.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
well mabey you should try cantacting a recruiter and discuss your options
12 years ago I was in charge of DFR in South Australia - I managed the transition from Govt staff to Outsourced under the revised models.

But, I do suggest that you read the post again and note that its someone from
RAF who is an ATC seeking to transfer into RAAF as an ATC

Abraham Gubler

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
The form of service to service transfer for the ADF is called "lateral recruitment" and is very different to normal recruitment.

The appropiate webpage is:

Recruitment Centre | Defence Jobs

It says vacancies are currently for fighter pilots and multi engine test pilots... However a high demand area like ATC might have vacancies from time to time. You should lodge your EOI asap.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
It says vacancies are currently for fighter pilots and multi engine test pilots... However a high demand area like ATC might have vacancies from time to time. You should lodge your EOI asap.
I'd say that its too late, there has been a lot of internal traffic that everyone but RAN is at establishment and that no new crossovers are going to happen.

Going to RAN is certainly a better chance - esp if a rotor head.