KFOR peacekeepers injured

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Post 1 of 2: KFOR peacekeepers injured

1. I understand Serbian protestors are unhappy with the Apr 2013 elections results in some municipalities & cities. But it was the Serbs who boycotted the local elections. Attacking the city hall where Albanian mayors are to take office is not the way to go.

2. Twitter has been flooded with misinformation on the unacceptable attacks on KFOR peacekeepers — with 30 KFOR troops injured of which 3 suffered gunshot wounds (see above statement). Thankfully, Serbian propaganda pushed by their bot accounts on Twitter is not working on me.

3. The UN & US reiterate calls for an immediate halt of all violence & de-escalation in northern #Kosovo. Twitter is harming Kosovo by its failure:

(a) to stop Russian & Serbian misinformation on the attacks on KFOR; &​

(b) to identify the Twitter accounts of the NATO Spokesperson and KFOR as trusted sources (with grey ticks).​

Last edited:

Capt. Ironpants

Of course I am appalled at and strongly condemn the attacks on NATO peacekeepers and wish the injured a speedy recovery.

It was not only wrong in every sense, but stupid on the part of the Serb protesters. Kurti had been warned in the strongest terms by NATO and the Quint not to do what he did:

KFOR and EULEX already appeared to be growing exasperated with Kurti after his antics in December, and then he defied warnings not to force installation the mayors. Emotions were also running high on both sides because of Thaci's release to visit his sick mother in Kosovo:

Unusually strong wording from Foggy Bottom:

Basically, the Serb protesters shot themselves in the foot by resorting to violence against the NATO peacekeepers. I realize these people are highly traumatized and have lived through one stress after another inside their little enclave over the past decades, and people tend to get rather crazy and even violent under such conditions and do very stupid things, but this was particularly crazy and stupid.

Now NATO is sending 700 additional troops to Kosovo:

SolarisKenzo

USAF B-1B bombers flew over Sarajevo today in a show of strenght.

Italian Air Force performed flying operations near Serbia with Tornado ECRs and Eurofighter Typhoons.
Saw them myself this afternoon entering slovenian air space from Italy.

Capt. Ironpants

USAF B-1B bombers flew over Sarajevo today in a show of strenght.

Italian Air Force performed flying operations near Serbia with Tornado ECRs and Eurofighter Typhoons.
Saw them myself this afternoon entering slovenian air space from Italy.
Maybe the recent developments in Kosovo have something to do with this. Dodik has been spewing hyperbolic rhetoric for at least a quarter century now, and it always comes to nothing. I liked Croatian President Milanović 's sensible reply to Bećirović, which put both Dodik and Bećirović (and their hyperbole) in their places:

"Someone needs financial support to pose a security threat. I don't see Dodik moving in this direction,'' he said.

Link:

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Post 2 of 2: KFOR peacekeepers injured

Basically, the Serb protesters shot themselves in the foot by resorting to violence against the NATO peacekeepers. I realize these people are highly traumatized and have lived through one stress after another inside their little enclave over the past decades, and people tend to get rather crazy and even violent under such conditions and do very stupid things, but this was particularly crazy and stupid.
4. I think it is generous to call the Serb thugs (mixed into the crowd), protestors. Every protest usually has agitators mixed into the group but this time, these thugs brought guns & shot at KFOR. I strongly condemn the violent actions of thugs in Zvecan, including their use of explosives. These are undeniable facts.

5. While I question the wisdom of Albanian mayors taking office, it was the Serb community of the past that were in the business of ethnic cleansing. But I get your point on what it means for the Serbs to feel unrepresented.

6. 30 years ago a genocide was committed against the people of Bosnia, 24 years ago the people of Kosovo were ethnically cleansed from the region. More and more stories about journalists in the North of Kosovo being beaten by Serbians. Democratic basics such as 'free press' are not in the dictionary of these thugs.

7. In 2023, the Serbs decided not to vote in local elections — they now equate themselves to victims of the Holocaust — forgive me, but I am not going to buy this line. Clearly, there are Serbian-armed and funded thugs receiving weapons and people travelling across the border to orchestrate violence in Kosovo.

Last edited: