Help needed regarding to in service commissioning in the Australian Army

King Comm

Hello everyone, I am currently serving as a reserve artillery signaller, I will follow the footsteps of many signalers before me and try to get pips

Apparently, the first step in the application for in service commissioning is a letter to the CO to express my interest in becoming an officer, however, I've never written such a letter before, nor have I ever seen one, and it seems that a lot of people here know how the system works.

So, can anyone give me tips on how to write the letter to the CO? Cheers

P.S. The letter has to be done by 7am Friday 6th of February, I was only informed that I have to write such a letter last night, I emailed the last signaler who became an officer for advice earlier today, and he hasn't responded yet.

All I got so far is

Sir,
I am Gunner H.E. Bomb, I have been serving as a signaller in XXXX Battery for the past XXX years. I am writing you this letter to express my interest in becoming an officer in the Royal Australian Artillery.
And I got stuck on how to write about why I want to become an officer and that I have what it takes to be an officer.

Last edited:

King Comm

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Okay then, what's a diplomatic way of saying "I am too smart for my current job and want to do something more intellectually stimulating" that will not make me look like a wanker?

stump1100

Sorry Mate, I had posted a reply or at least I thought I had until I checked and found that it had disappeared into the ether.

How did you go with your letter to the CO?