General Naval News

swerve

Super Moderator
It looks quite chunky, & I note that it mentions Vard's "history of designing specialized vessels tailored to meet unique combinations of user requirements and operational environments". Perhaps they're thinking of southern waters & ice.

Speculatively . . . maybe it could be derived from (though it's obviously far from identical to) the Vard-7-313

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Perhaps they're thinking of southern waters & ice.
One of the ships is planned to replace AP-41 Aquiles, which together with the tugboat ATF-66 Galvarino and icebreaker AP-46 Viel (replacement for that currently being built) is used for Antarctic Patrols in the non-recognized Chilean Claim area, and within that mostly performs supply of Antarctic stations in the territory as well as transport of expeditions to the area.

Overall four ships are planned, the other three would replace LST-92 Rancagua and LST-95 Chacabuso (the two remaining BATRALs) and LSDH-91 Sarganto Aldea (the former Foudre).

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
It looks quite chunky, & I note that it mentions Vard's "history of designing specialized vessels tailored to meet unique combinations of user requirements and operational environments". Perhaps they're thinking of southern waters & ice.

Speculatively . . . maybe it could be derived from (though it's obviously far from identical to) the Vard-7-313
That would make sense, maximum flexibility, and their Antarctic responsibilities are important for the future.

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Vacuum pads holding large vessels alongside a berth. This is an industry innovation I was totally unaware of.
Is there anyone on the forum who can comment or who has experienced this system? and how widespread is its use?
The link shows a large ferry berthing and I imagine the system would be highly efficient for this high frequency movement/berthing operation.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Vacuum pads holding large vessels alongside a berth. This is an industry innovation I was totally unaware of.
Is there anyone on the forum who can comment or who has experienced this system? and how widespread is its use?
The link shows a large ferry berthing and I imagine the system would be highly efficient for this high frequency movement/berthing operation.

I believe that Aotearoa has something similar. Not 100% sure but looked like it when they came alongside at DNB the first time.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

According to this, the system will be use in Australia and NZ. I haven't seen this system in Indonesia and SEA ports, but perhaps Singapore will not be long on integration this on their port considering how busy Singaporean port is.

KiwiRob

This is a product that was invented and developed in NZ, MoorMaster was based in Christchurch. They started developing it in the 90's, I remember the system being shown at the Easter Show in Auckland. I've seen it in use in Helsinki, I think the Interislander terminal in Wellington also uses it.

I'm currently working on the navigation and searchlight package for the ASKO automated ships that will use this system in Norway. For the life of me I still don't understand why they decided to build in India.

Typical of NZ, like Navman, Rocket Labs we can develop it but don't have the venture capitol in NZ to back local companies on the world stage so they're bought out and move offshore.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
This is a product that was invented and developed in NZ, MoorMaster was based in Christchurch. They started developing it in the 90's, I remember the system being shown at the Easter Show in Auckland. I've seen it in use in Helsinki, I think the Interislander terminal in Wellington also uses it.

I'm currently working on the navigation and searchlight package for the ASKO automated ships that will use this system in Norway. For the life of me I still don't understand why they decided to build in India.

Typical of NZ, like Navman, Rocket Labs we can develop it but don't have the venture capitol in NZ to back local companies on the world stage so they're bought out and move offshore.
OT
I actually had a Navman for my HP PDA. It was a great device for its time. Don’t know what happened to Navman but it is a incredibly competitive business and then smartphones took over. Even tons of venture capital doesn’t help if a tech company makes a strategic mistake. Canadian company Blackberry (Research in Motion aka RIM) is a good example. Their launch of Playbook with minimal apps was the final nail in the coffin.

Sandhi Yudha

So from which i understand the VL MICA NG will be retrofitted into the new Gowind class frigates.

VL MICA NG was unveiled during Euronaval 2020. The main evolution of the MICA NG compared to the existing MICA are:
  • Extension of the motor with the addition of a second pulse (max Interception range increased to 40 km, similar to the reference on the market: Raytheon’s ESSM).
  • Compression of other equipment
  • Introduction of latest technologies such as dual pulse motor, AESA RF seeker and FPA IIR seeker
So there is an extension of the motor, not an additional booster. I wonder if the new MICA NG directly fits in the existing launch tubes.

We continue with the Egyptian Navy.
The Egyptian Navy’s latest frigate, Bernees (FFG 1003), recently started sea trials from La Spezia on 15 February. The ship was planned to become the “Emilio Bianchi” for the Italian Navy, but the Italians decided to sell two FREMM-frigates to Egypt. This is the second of the two, the first delivered by Italy is the Al Galala 1002.

These two Italian built FREMMs come on top of the French built Tahya Misr 1001, Egypt's first FREMM-ship. So in total the Egtptian Navy will have 3 FREMM-frigates.

Last edited:

swerve

Super Moderator
New ships - three FREMM, four A200, four Gowind. Well, they have two very old (1973-4) Knox frigates for the FREMMs to replace, plus four OH Perry (1981-2) & two Descubiertas (1984).

The article says MICA-VL NG will be fitted to the A200s as well as the Gowinds, which makes sense.

Sandhi Yudha

The United Arab Emirates Navy ordered two Gowind 2500 frigates in 2019, here we can see a new infographic image of the design, surprisingly it will carry a RAM-launcher.

Source:

The naval defence industry of the UAE made some great progress in development the last years, in a remarkable short period.
At NAVDEX 2021, local shipbuilder ADSB unveiled a 16m and a 12m fast patrol boat (FPB) which were both fully designed and built in the UAE.

UAE based Armacraft has signed a substantial order for its new Trident (submersible high-speed diver delivery crafts) program with an undisclosed Foreign Navy.

Last edited:

swerve

Super Moderator
According to MBDA, CAMM-ER has received its first order both for export & for naval use, under the name Albatros-NG.

MBDA awarded first contract for its new Albatros NG system - MBDA

It may be attractive to some existing Albatros operators, & potentially others. It'd be interesting to know how the price & performance compare with Mica NG, which would appear to be pretty much a direct competitor, but I doubt MBDA will be publishing much detail.

Sandhi Yudha

Some more details about the newest and largest version of the SIGMA-class, which is offered to the Hellenic Navy.
With a length of 119 meters, the correct name should be SIGMA 11915.

Redlands18

Some more details about the newest and largest version of the SIGMA-class, which is offered to the Hellenic Navy.
With a length of 119 meters, the correct name should be SIGMA 11915.
Looks to be a good move by Damen, there portfolio has been missing a Frigate in this size class, something somewhere between the Sigma 10514 @105m and the de Seven Provencien/Omega @144m

swerve

Super Moderator
That Naval News article says "It recently surfaced that the Hellenic Navy need was not limited to new-built frigates. Their need is so urgent that they require a “stop-gap” solution (consisting in the procurement of second-hand vessels or a lease of existing vessels) as well as an upgrade to the in-service Hydra-class frigates. "

That's not at all surprising. The four Hydra-class are 1990s, upgraded to take ESSM about the time of the crash. The nine Elli-class (mostly secondhand) were first commissioned 1978 to 1983. Given a reasonable level of use, they must be shagged out, & their weapons & sensors are very old. I can imagine the Oto guns & Phalanx being refurbishable, but what do you do with trainable Sea Sparrow launchers & their missiles in the 2020s?

I think that apart from the already contracted switch of the Hydras to ESSM everything was put on hold when the economy crashed in 2008. GDP in 2013 was <75% of what it was in 2007, & in 2019 was still <80% of the pre-crash peak. The money went away. The economy's still in dire straits, but faced with two-thirds of the navy's major surface ships being held together by glue & string, they're desperate.

Redlands18

That Naval News article says "It recently surfaced that the Hellenic Navy need was not limited to new-built frigates. Their need is so urgent that they require a “stop-gap” solution (consisting in the procurement of second-hand vessels or a lease of existing vessels) as well as an upgrade to the in-service Hydra-class frigates. "

That's not at all surprising. The four Hydra-class are 1990s, upgraded to take ESSM about the time of the crash. The nine Elli-class (mostly secondhand) were first commissioned 1978 to 1983. Given a reasonable level of use, they must be shagged out, & their weapons & sensors are very old. I can imagine the Oto guns & Phalanx being refurbishable, but what do you do with trainable Sea Sparrow launchers & their missiles in the 2020s?

I think that apart from the already contracted switch of the Hydras to ESSM everything was put on hold when the economy crashed in 2008. GDP in 2013 was <75% of what it was in 2007, & in 2019 was still <80% of the pre-crash peak. The money went away. The economy's still in dire straits, but faced with two-thirds of the navy's major surface ships being held together by glue & string, they're desperate.
Well the bad news is, that the days of good numbers of 2nd hand NATO Frigates in good condition are long gone and won’t be coming back anytime soon. 15-20 yrs ago there was dozens of 2nd Hand Type 22/23s, Kortenaars, Doormans and Perrys to be had in reasonable condition and a number of Navies happily grabbed them but now they are running out of life and the 2nd Hand Market is pretty bare. ,

Sandhi Yudha

Last year the Indonesian government was suddenly interested in the last vessel of the F122 Bremenclass fregat Lübeck. Maybe that ship fits the Hellenic Navy more than the Indonesian Navy, after all the Bremens are the German sisters of the Kortenaerklasse frigates.

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Maybe that ship fits the Hellenic Navy more than the Indonesian Navy, after all the Bremens are the German sisters of the Kortenaerklasse frigates.
They could just as well continue to run their Elli class, they're probably in better shape...