General Naval News

Musashi_kenshin

I wonder if china, as North-Koreans closest ally, will donate its old stuff to the North-Korean Navy.
Nah, that would be a step too far. It's one thing for China to keep North Korea afloat economically, but if it started arming North Korea in violation of the UN arms embargo it would destroy all of China's attempts to repair and improve relations with the US, South Korea and Japan.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Don't find Ukraine Navy Thread, so put it here. This's shown increasing defense relationship between Ukraine and Turkey. Wondering if Ukraine will put their own engine with their Milgem Corvettes.

This's also seems Erdogan move that showing Turkey independent stance. He got close to Russia but also maintain increasingly defense co-op with Ukraine. He challenge EU, talk trash to Frech President, but still in NATO.

I suspect this's going to be part of his strategy to secure Ukraine Gas Turbine tech for Milgem Frigates and Destroyers program in future, as alternative if US or UK will not support Gas Turbine for Turkish Defense Industry.

Sandhi Yudha

Don't find Ukraine Navy Thread, so put it here. This's shown increasing defense relationship between Ukraine and Turkey. Wondering if Ukraine will put their own engine with their Milgem Corvettes.

This's also seems Erdogan move that showing Turkey independent stance. He got close to Russia but also maintain increasingly defense co-op with Ukraine. He challenge EU, talk trash to Frech President, but still in NATO.

I suspect this's going to be part of his strategy to secure Ukraine Gas Turbine tech for Milgem Frigates and Destroyers program in future, as alternative if US or UK will not support Gas Turbine for Turkish Defense Industry.
The Ada class vessels (MILGEM Corvettes) are propelled by a RENK CODAG Cross-Connect propulsion plant which consists of a gas turbine rated at 23,000 kilowatts (31,000 hp) and two diesel engines rated at 4,320 kW (5,790 hp). But the export version for the Pakistan Navy will have CODAD instead of CODAG, so maybe it will be possible to do the same with the MILGEM (Istanbul) frigates.

Sandhi Yudha

There is an option for the modernization and upgrade of the third submarine of the class, HSwMS Halland, but its not clear yet if and when it will happen.

With this Midlife-update the Gotlands should be able to operate in to the 2030's.

Last edited:

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
There is no dedicated thread for A/UUV (Automated/unmanned Underwater Vessels so I’m posting this “Popular Mechanics” item here.

it describes current and future trends and capabilities, their rapid development and their construction techniques.
I found it useful (for this layman) to better understand the future benefits and incredible changes which will soon be upon us in the underwater domain.
These are definitely something which all future navies and submarine forces in particular, need to factor into force structures and Operational concepts.

This 3D-Printed Sub Could Be the Future of Undersea Warfare

Sandhi Yudha

Looks like it has the same coast defence role as the K-300P Bastion-P and the Ball (Kh-35) system.
The RK-360 Neptune seems to have a maximum range of 280-300 km, but other specefications like speed is unknown. It can be subsonic, because according to some sources the Neptune is a modified Kh-35, but according to Navalnews the booster is taken from the S-125. Looking to the Kh-35ish shape and the fact that it is driven by a Motor-Sich MS-400 turbofan, i also expect it is subsonic.

Some more naval Ukraine news...

"We have completely decided on the weapons systems that will be installed on both the Mk VI and the Island."
It is unclear which weaponsystems will be installed, from Ukraine or the US? I also do not understand what Rear Admiral Alexei Neizhpapa means with "the Island".

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

A mysterious vessel has been seen in Iranian waters...does Iran now build these advanced stealth vessels under licence from Norwegen, or have the Norwegians stolen this Iranian Skjold design? We can find the answer here.....

Sandhi Yudha

Alexandria Shipyard (ASY) on 6 January 2021 handed over El Fateh-class corvette ENS Port Said (976) to the Egyptian Navy.
With this the second Gowind 2500 ship has been delivered.

The contract for the acquisition of four Gowind 2500 corvettes (with an option for two more) was signed shortly before June 3, 2014 for 1 billion euro, a sum which did not include the weapon systems which were ordered in two separate contracts: one for 400 million euros for MBDA (VL-MICA, MM40 Block 3), the other for approximately 100 to 200 million euros for Naval group (torpedoes). So all together the value of the program is around €1,5-1,7 billion.

Sandhi Yudha

Marokko's position is quite far away from the war torn Middle-East, but still they are modernizing and strenghten their navy the last decade. This class of OPV comes on top of the French OPV-70 class

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Naval Group have 3D printed a 1 tonne ships propeller. It consists of 5 blades weighing 200 kg each and each blade was individually printed using wire arc additive manufacturing. This is the largest metal propeller ever printed, the first to use this particular technology, and the first being fitted to a naval warship.

Sandhi Yudha

Naval Group have 3D printed a 1 tonne ships propeller. It consists of 5 blades weighing 200 kg each and each blade was individually printed using wire arc additive manufacturing. This is the largest metal propeller ever printed, the first to use this particular technology, and the first being fitted to a naval warship.

3D-printing is promising for such applications, but it is unclear if other Tripartité minehunters will also get a new propeller.
Also in this article they dont tell it.

Sandhi Yudha

I couldn't decide if i had to put this in the Indian Navy Thread, or Singapore Navy one, so i just post it here.

" "The submarine rescue support and co-operation implementing arrangement will allow both navies to extend submarine rescue assistance to each other as well as conduct bilateral rescue exercises and familiarisation visits to enhance interoperability and proficiency in submarine rescue operations”, said Singapore’s defence minister, Ng Eng Hen, in his remarks on the pact. "
Well its great if countries can help each other if a submarine is in an emergency situation.

Sandhi Yudha

Its a beautiful stealth frigate, with a lot of export-potential.

If you have a lack of time: only the launch (just put your soundvolume on a low level)

Sandhi Yudha

Saab got Contract for two Visby Gen 2. Will be interesting if the detail design come out. Visby it self already a futuristic Corvette design.
Yes i saw today this short promotionvideo of Saab.
But sadly no any information, not even the amount of the planned new ships.

RoyZZConnor

Egypt's first Bergamini FREMM frigate bought from Italy

@RoyZZConnor

Is this your image or is it from a source. If it is not your image then please provide the source of the image and a link.

Alexsa

Last edited by a moderator:

Sandhi Yudha

After the 18 Rafales, France also tries to sell the Belharra FTI to Greece. I wonder how Greece will pay for all this stuff, not so long ago they were in a very deep economical crisis and were forced to have a lot of debts with other European countries.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
wonder how Greece will pay for all this stuff, not so long ago they were in a very deep economical crisis and were forced to have a lot of debts with other European countries.
Like most of defense contracts procurement being offer now, with credits line. Question whether it will be part of straight loan or loan being off set with Investment package: 'I give you credit line, you give me preference Investment deal on the project that I choose'.

Sandhi Yudha

That means that this will become the second LPD of the Chilean Navy after Sargento Aldea (ex-Foudre).

Details are not given about the equipment, sensors and armament, but the new vessel will be based on existing Vard Series 7 designs