Encyclopedia

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would suggest creating an overall encyclopedia for this website. It would cover terminology, organizations, weapon systems, etc.

It could combine the Weapons Database, Pictures (which would be assigned to the relevant entry in the encyclopedia), and the Abbreviations thread in the General Defense Forum.

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Well, thanks for the idea.

I had similar thing in mind when we started the Weapons Database project but even that is going really slow due to limited content, writers, proof readers (from technological perspective) so we have valid and accurate information up there. Now, if we make it even bigger and turn it into encyclopedia, it would be alot slower as you need a team to manage and organize the project not two or three. We can link pictures with database, that is not a problem.

lobbie111

Well, thanks for the idea.

I had similar thing in mind when we started the Weapons Database project but even that is going really slow due to limited content, writers, proof readers (from technological perspective) so we have valid and accurate information up there. Now, if we make it even bigger and turn it into encyclopedia, it would be alot slower as you need a team to manage and organize the project not two or three. We can link pictures with database, that is not a problem.
How about having an open source project so anyone can submit articles, but they can only pass through one or two people to be edited/approved, making it a two person job? With references etc. I would gladly put my hand up to help.

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
How about having an open source project so anyone can submit articles, but they can only pass through one or two people to be edited/approved, making it a two person job? With references etc. I would gladly put my hand up to help.
Something like wikipedia but controlled (quality control, verification, etc.)? Yes, that might work. Good one.

thanks

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So can we get this encyclopedia? I'm assuming you got my pm about the details of the idea. I would certainly be willing to write a few articles. It would also keep members from having to ask questions so much in threads, and let them just look it up. It would also get all our photos matched with their subject matters in terms of descriptions, making it much easier to access both. We would probably also want some sort of search engine for it.

lobbie111

I really think what you want is the wikipedia style layout in a defence talk way, I think that this should be taken to the defence proffesionals forum, and see if they want to help out ie an article on ships goes to someone in the navy, an article on tank armour goes to someone who repairs it etc.

Not even a mod knows everything (sorry feanor) we only need one or two people per forum (land forces etc.), besides more poeple (within reason) makes for a more blanced article, I would hate to see someone write an article and have it published to be completly biased to the west or the east, no matter how hard you try you can't control your bias.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I really think what you want is the wikipedia style layout in a defence talk way, I think that this should be taken to the defence proffesionals forum, and see if they want to help out ie an article on ships goes to someone in the navy, an article on tank armour goes to someone who repairs it etc.

Not even a mod knows everything (sorry feanor) we only need one or two people per forum (land forces etc.), besides more poeple (within reason) makes for a more blanced article, I would hate to see someone write an article and have it published to be completly biased to the west or the east, no matter how hard you try you can't control your bias.
Oh no need to apologize. I know some things, but not nearly enough to tackle a project like this alone. :)

There already is a program on here called the Weapons Database that is sort of like what we want. However it only covers weapon systems, and is limited in the sense that it's missing most weapon systems as well as only having a few pictures there for each entry. But yes the Wiki layout kind of thing would be very helpful.

lobbie111

Why don't we get other sites to provide us with information, if we got several defence news and sites like janes to contribute bits an pieces, they get advertising and we get a database?

Looking at the database, its too small, I mean the area, the side bars take up so much space it makes getting information out hard to decypher.

I must say though I give credit to the eprson who did that, the detail is amazing, lacking in pictures I agree and a set structure.

lobbie111

So what's becoming of this?

I also thought of an idea I got from another forum i belong to, when you type in a word it recognises the word and you hover your mouse over it and a bubble pops up with a small amount of info, ie short explanation. like this:

In addtion to an encyclopedia possibly even with links to encyclopedia ie read more etc.

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Webmaster tends to be a busy person. I suspect that if he decides to go ahead with this, we will find out in a little while. Possibly a few weeks.