Communications On The Move

marlonb

Has anyone heard of this technology/concept? I read an article about it (can't find it now), and I was wondering if it's already in use in the US Military.:confused:

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
COTM is basically autotracking satcom and - in theory - other long-range NLOS communications on moving platforms. Current Terrestrial UHF/VHF used for NLOS communications is basically screwed once you're on the move, hence the need for an autotracking satcom system.

Pretty much every major defense electronics company in the US has been developing systems for that (e.g. LM, Hughes, Raytheon, L-3, Rockwell Collins) in response to an ongoing bidding contest on portions of the Army's WIN-T (Warfighter Information Network - Tactical) future communications backup. WIN-T is supposed to in the end integrate multiple communications modes (SATCOM, LOS Radio, long-range UHF/VHF, bouncing stuff off aircraft and drones etc pp) in both stationary and mobile platforms, autoswitching between modes to always ensure a live connection. It's a 10-billion dollar project that's currently entering Increment 2 LRIP, with LM recently winning the contract to deliver the equipment for this increment.

Regarding implementation, the 10th Mountain Division has deployed ten MRAPs with a COTM system from Rockwell Collins (MobiLink) in Afghanistan several times over the past couple years for live troop trials / proof-of-system. The USAF has bought several dozen L-3 ArcLight systems for COTM backbone linking.

marlonb

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
COTM is basically autotracking satcom and - in theory - other long-range NLOS communications on moving platforms. Current Terrestrial UHF/VHF used for NLOS communications is basically screwed once you're on the move, hence the need for an autotracking satcom system.

Pretty much every major defense electronics company in the US has been developing systems for that (e.g. LM, Hughes, Raytheon, L-3, Rockwell Collins) in response to an ongoing bidding contest on portions of the Army's WIN-T (Warfighter Information Network - Tactical) future communications backup. WIN-T is supposed to in the end integrate multiple communications modes (SATCOM, LOS Radio, long-range UHF/VHF, bouncing stuff off aircraft and drones etc pp) in both stationary and mobile platforms, autoswitching between modes to always ensure a live connection. It's a 10-billion dollar project that's currently entering Increment 2 LRIP, with LM recently winning the contract to deliver the equipment for this increment.

Regarding implementation, the 10th Mountain Division has deployed ten MRAPs with a COTM system from Rockwell Collins (MobiLink) in Afghanistan several times over the past couple years for live troop trials / proof-of-system. The USAF has bought several dozen L-3 ArcLight systems for COTM backbone linking.
:DThanks for the comprehensive information. I see. I found the site where I read about it. But I like the response here better. So aside from basically developing mobile communications, it's aim is to integrate. Sounds costly. This would be great for the maritime industry I think.

finally found the articles as well. here they are: one, two

Would the US military be needing teleports for this?

Last edited: