Closing of threads!

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I would think this is much too much work for the mods.
They still have a real live. (At least I hope so :D )

Tasman

Ship Watcher
Verified Defense Pro
Instead of closing a threads that is going off topic, why not just delete the post that mods deemed to be off topic?
Sometimes topics 'drift off' over a number of responses and its not until well into a discussion that the realisation dawns that it has gone OT (I know I've been guilty of this!). :eek: It would sometimes be hard to recognise a response that starts an off topic direction. In my experience mods (or other experienced members) generally give some warning before a thread is closed.

Cheers

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Why let a minority of posters ruined a thread with their off topic remarks for everyone else? However, if my suggestion will be too time-consuming for the Mods, please disregard it.

Mod edit: We do generally warn people to get back on topic before closing a thread. Sometimes we close it whilst we discuss the merit of the thread. Rarely do we delete threads, unless they are a major breach of the rules of course, ie: spamming, racism etc. Now get back on topic... :)

Last edited by a moderator:

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
In defense discussions the fineline between On-topic(ot) and off-topic(ot) is very thin... so generally even if we remove posts some other dude will eventually come in and start the deleted discussion again.

Which threads were you refering to?

Ozzy Blizzard

Also webbie, if someone is getting heated in a sertain thread, getting political or emotional, do you have to close the thread? It kind or wrecks is for the rest of us? Cant you just ban that person from that thread, or delete thier posts??? Example US air strikes in Somalia.

In defense discussions the fineline between On-topic(ot) and off-topic(ot) is very thin... so generally even if we remove posts some other dude will eventually come in and start the deleted discussion again.

Which threads were you refering to?
I saw a couple of threads got closed recently because a few people went off topic, thats why i suggested deleting their posts.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I saw a couple of threads got closed recently because a few people went off topic, thats why i suggested deleting their posts.

we don't arbitrarily close them. (unless they're becoming racist or are a clear breach.)

where threads are starting to derail we will flag it in the Moderators forum and get opinions about how to handle it. Its always by concensus unless the posters have gone way off track and have become abusive etc....

closing is a last resort. there are numerous times where we give warnings about impending doom so as to refocus everyone. usually it works.

abramsteve

Being the reason for the recent closure of one of the threads, I would like to know if it is possible for my completely of topic and over the top coments to be deleted and the thread reopened?

This being off topic as it is, I would like to appologise to the other members of the forum for my recent posts. Whilst I havent posted alot, I have been a member and a browser of this forum for a while now, and should have known better.

we don't arbitrarily close them. (unless they're becoming racist or are a clear breach.)

where threads are starting to derail we will flag it in the Moderators forum and get opinions about how to handle it. Its always by concensus unless the posters have gone way off track and have become abusive etc....

closing is a last resort. there are numerous times where we give warnings about impending doom so as to refocus everyone. usually it works.
ok........