Belarus protests

Musashi_kenshin

I'm honestly amazed that the Belarusian protesters haven't given up after months of protesting. It looks like Lukashenko's tactics of intimidating them back into their homes and places of work has failed. The only question I have is whether these are stalling tactics into hoping the protests will break over the winter, or if he's trying to find a way out that allows him to save face, unlike Yanukovych who fled Ukraine.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

I'm honestly amazed that the Belarusian protesters haven't given up after months of protesting. It looks like Lukashenko's tactics of intimidating them back into their homes and places of work has failed. The only question I have is whether these are stalling tactics into hoping the protests will break over the winter, or if he's trying to find a way out that allows him to save face, unlike Yanukovych who fled Ukraine.
I don't know. The protesters are keeping the fires burning and Lukashenko is forting up hoping to ride them out. He's got his mate Putin on his side at the moment so we'll see what happens.

Putin will not want Belarus to go the way of the Ukraine or Georgia so he will be following the developments there very closely. There's also the ethnic consideration in that if Putin considers Belarusians as Russian he could consider that as justification to interfere in Belarus. That's the justification that he's used for interference in Georgia and the Ukraine - his duty to protect ethnic Russians.