Welcome to DefenceTalk.com Forum!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

aviation developments

Discussion in 'Space Technology' started by gf0012-aust, Jan 9, 2017.

Share This Page

1. gf0012-aust

gf0012-aust Grumpy Old Man Staff Member Verified Defense Pro

2. ASSAIL

ASSAIL Defense Professional Verified Defense Pro

In its current iteration it would be fantastic for a loiter ops but seems a bit slow for BAMS work, at 75kts coverage is limited.
    I'm sure that these early developments will mature into very useful military application.
    Excuse the pun but...the sky's the limit.

3. ngatimozart

ngatimozart Super Moderator Staff Member Verified Defense Pro

Something else to see the light of day. Swarming Perdix UAVs; swarming micro UAVs, has a hive mind, deployable from fighter decoy dispensers and able to get in close.

4. gf0012-aust

one of the advantages if this tech is that due to persistence they could form the basis of a flying comms bearer - your own theatre portable bearer grid

5. colay1

colay1 New Member

Looks like a quick and affordable way to set up and sustain a battlefield internet on the fly.:) A similar benefit for disaster relief scenarios as well.

6. gf0012-aust

7. John Fedup

John Fedup Well-Known Member

8. colay1

colay1 New Member

That anti-drone gun wouldn't appear to be effective against the kind of autonomous swarms eg. PERDIX, LOCUST recently demonstrated by he US Navy. So what kind of bug spray would be best at dealing with such a threat? Perhaps some sort of EMP weapon that would somehow spare one's own equupment?

9. gf0012-aust

that's the punchline and the unknown

ages ago I worked on some tech for narrow beam and directional EMP weapons to disable a targeted vehicle, ultimately that becomes a viable weapon for any air threat - but look at the way this handheld weapon works - it opens up some interesting other opportunities

the variant is also in rough terms a variation of "kill or capture" against the UAS. The intent here is to capture or control - killing a UAS starts to bring in tech such as what the Israelis have.

10. PhysicsMan

PhysicsMan New Member

I have a question on fast jet canopies. How hot do they get during high speed flights? I'm interested for the following reason. Aircraft like F-22 have their canopies coated with a cake of transparent thin films some of which are electrical conductors, serving multiple purposes such as charge build up dissipation and radiation reflection. I have some ideas on such coating technologies that may be of use for this purpose (cheaper, high throughput, high quality in comparison to the traditional methods that are likely utilized in production of these). The one requirement for this to work that may be difficult to overcome is the temperature that the surface needs to be exposed to during the coating process.
    Most polymers (which is what the canopies are mostly made of) do not like excessive temperatures. So what temperatures are we looking at, during high speed flight?
    Thank you.

11. gf0012-aust

coatings on F-22 and JSF are more about sig management and emission. the gold and iridium also doubles up as a heat soaker for friction

12. PhysicsMan

PhysicsMan New Member

Radiation reflection is the signal management, isn't it?

13. gf0012-aust

its more than signal/e emission, its also about back scattering physical reflections that could come back from inside the c0ckpit.

14. PhysicsMan

PhysicsMan New Member

Yes, and there are ways to tune the reflectivity on the inner surface to reduce that backscatter.
    But my question is about how much heat the canopy can handle safely before it starts to degrade.

15. gf0012-aust

well, its a FRU and replacement is probably found somewhere within the maint manuals

I wouldn't have thought that its actually a regular event - they're designed to survive nearfield explosions - they're designed to survive g forces 4 levels above frame stress alerts - so there's a message in there already

16. PhysicsMan

PhysicsMan New Member

What is FRU?

17. PhysicsMan

PhysicsMan New Member

Field replaceable unit, right? So you mean the entire canopy is FRU?
    I bet it's an expensive FRU... But I'm sure they designed it to withstand the stresses as well as temperature effects (those two, by the way, are not necessarily related). That is why I am wondering what those temperature exposures are (would give me a pretty good indication of what how hot the canopy can be heated in production).

18. gf0012-aust

they're made in an autoclave - which is way above the heat generated in any stressed flight regime

19. PhysicsMan

PhysicsMan New Member

The question is whether the temperatures that they are rated for in use are the same as those they're exposed to when they're made in an autoclave. Probably not.

20. PhysicsMan

PhysicsMan New Member

There were reports that the Soviet Mig-31s had their speed ceiling reduced because the canopy could not handle the temperatures at very high speeds. I don't know what those canopies are made of, but it indicates that there is a significant thermal load on these things.