A rifle for a new military

thethinker92

Ok so i am new to this whole forum business, but i like to design things and try and make things.. now I would like put out a very simple question. In an military rifle, what are some good features that would produce an accurate, powerful weapon. im trying to build and blue print a weapon. let me know

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Ok so i am new to this whole forum business, but i like to design things and try and make things.. now I would like put out a very simple question. In an military rifle, what are some good features that would produce an accurate, powerful weapon. im trying to build and blue print a weapon. let me know
if you don't know the answer to that question already, design something else.

db2646

Banned Member
1. First, I just want to know what do you mean by "New Military"? The title of your thread.

2. Second, there are so many types of rifle. Take your pick and decide on what type you want to design or re-design. What do you want the rifle for, i.e., what application you are contemplating for the rifle?

3. Third, there are so many rifles already available around the world. Gather some ideas on what type of rifle you want to make or produce from these sources. You could possibly buy the rights and be able to change components or configurations, etc.? In short re-design an existing rifle.

4. Good luck. If you don't have the financial ability to pursue on designing a rifle, producing and testing your design(s), you are better off just buying a finished product.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
The more I think about this, the more I'm inclined to agree that if you need to ask this sort of question, you've not got enough background in the practical side of weapons to undertake constructing a working firearm.

Even if you do, there are likely to be some serious legal implications in attempting practical construction of such a device. In most countries, firearms manufacture is restricted to organisations which are specifically licensed for that purpose.

Knocking up a working firearm in your workshop will get you a decade inside in the US, as far as I understand it - BATF will land on you quite hard for instance.

PCShogun

Knocking up a working firearm in your workshop will get you a decade inside in the US, as far as I understand it - BATF will land on you quite hard for instance.
Actually, you can. The biggest gotcha is the receiver. There are many rules regarding this, however, and you need to make sure you follow them to the letter. Also, you cannot sell it without registering it.

Rules to look at are:
Gun Control Act (GCA) of 1968, 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44, an unlicensed individual may make a “firearm” as defined in the GCA for his own personal use, but not for sale or distribution.

National Firearms Act (NFA), 26 U.S.C. § 5845(b) - No machine guns

GCA, 18 U.S.C. § 922(r), specifically states the following:

It shall be unlawful for any person to assemble from imported parts any semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun which is identical to any rifle or shotgun prohibited from importation under the…[GCA]…Section 925(d)(3).

Finally, Individuals manufacturing sporting-type firearms for their own use need not hold Federal Firearms Licenses (FFLs). However, we suggest that the manufacturer at least identify the firearm with a serial number as a safeguard in the event that the firearm is lost or stolen. Also, the firearm should be identified as required in 27 CFR 478.92 if it is sold or otherwise lawfully transferred in the future.

Good Luck.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
The receiver was the bit I'd be having cold sweats about when I wrote that - although I wasn't aware there was a specific provision for personal use. Give the OP seemed to be aiming at "other than personal use" I figured it was worth mentioning.

There's a lot of shops in the US with access to skilled people, CNC machinery, who've done all the paperwork, and have trodden this path already so I'd suspect it was sort of a saturated market for a beginner to break into.

Thanks for the pointers on the relevant law however - I'm from the UK so our own restrictions are um...much more restrictive :)

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Having given the topic a bit of a think, I have to agree with many of the earlier posters.

In order to design a 'new' rifle, questions about who the end-user is supposed to be, the role of the rifle, and the operational conditions for the rifle need to be answered.

Generally speaking, most nations use one of four calibres for their rifles. If the country would be considered a Western bloc or allied nation, then their rifles will likely be chambered in either 7.62 x 51 mm NATO, or more likely 5.56 x 45 mm NATO. OTOH if the nation is more Eastern bloc, or a current or former Soviet satellite state or client nation, then their rifles might be chambered in 5.45 x 39 mm or more likely 7.62 x 39 mm.

Unless one is planning on introducing an entirely new and improved round (and requiring entirely new munitions warstocks and magazines) then it likely would be best to plan on using one of the above calibres.

A potentially viable alternate though would be if one were interested in designing a carbine for use by police, paramilitary and special forces, or for use in engagements of 100 m or less in range. In this case, then something in a pistol calibre like 9 mm Para Bellum (9 x 19 mm), or .40 S&W, or .45 ACP. While the accuracy of these rounds at distance is typically not so good, if these pistol bullets were fired from 16" or 20" barrels instead of a 4" - 5" pistol barrel, then accuracy at distance would likely go up, as would the effective stopping power of the round.

I suppose at this point, the role of the rifle would really need to be defined, since that will at least suggest, if not outright determine which features are most useful.

-Cheers

PCShogun

StobieWan, yes, I tend to forget we are "Multi-National" here on the forum, and not just the United States. :) Its one of the reasons I love this site. You get points of view and information from informative sources from all nations, and it can change your world view on occasion.

My thoughts on building your own firearm for sale would be that, unless you have a unique way of making it operate, or new materials, or something that makes it different, you are going to be stepping all over existing patents, and paying for the use of those patents is likely going to make any new venture cost prohibitive. Now, if you have a design idea for a phased plasma rifle in the 50 megawatt range, you are probably going to make billions, so go for it.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tricky one - there seems to be a fashion for gas piston conversions for the M16 and the US aftermarket appears flush with conversions as well as bespoke versions.

I've seen some interesting ideas around sticking PDW cartridges into M4 style firearms plus a stack of AK-alikes - summary, I'd want to be sure my name was John Moses Browning before I got into the current small arms market in the US.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Tricky one - there seems to be a fashion for gas piston conversions for the M16 and the US aftermarket appears flush with conversions as well as bespoke versions.

I've seen some interesting ideas around sticking PDW cartridges into M4 style firearms plus a stack of AK-alikes - summary, I'd want to be sure my name was John Moses Browning before I got into the current small arms market in the US.
You would definitely want a good lawyer involved (yes I know that is something of an oxymoron...). Quite apart from the potential for patent infringement lawsuits, there is the very real issue of complying with various Federal, state and local fire arms laws and regulations. The issue would be somewhat easier if the 'target' market was strictly military, or military/law enforcement.

Some areas where potential exists would be in the development of bullpup rifles chambered in calibres other than 5.56 x 45 mm NATO. AFAIK there is really only one bullpup chambered in 7.62 x 51 mm NATO made by Kel Tec and then there have been a few attempts to take an AR-10 platform and convert it into a bullpup. IIRC none of those attempts have had any real type of success.

There could also be a market for a 7.62 x 39 mm bullpup. Again, the central question still goes back to whom the rifle is intended for, and what role is the rifle to serve.

-Cheers

superjackie1

Papow!

I would imagine that the only way to get of ahead of the advanced weapons technology that is already in the works would be to focus on weapons using sound and heat projection technology versus traditional projectiles. That seems to be the most efficient use of your time if you have the skill level to even begin to engineer a practical power source that can safely and cheaply be distributed to millions of soldiers. Work of this kind would generally begin under a government contract with inside knowledge of existing research, so if you fit the qualifications and have the education to back it up, I would seek private firms that get these sort of contracts.