Vega launcher operational

AlfaSigma

On Monday 13 February the Vega space launcher has taken off on its maiden flight to flawlessly place in orbit 9 satellites. Statistically 57% of first flights fail.

The Vega launcher has three solid propellant stages of advanced mono filament composite construction, built by Avio, and one liquid fueled satellites release stage.
The take off mass is 137t and the reference mission is for 1500kg on a 700km circular orbit.
Vega was mostly designed, built and financed by Italy and it was the first European launcher project not lead by France.

Its development had to overcome strong opposition from France throughout its development with Italy having to threaten to withdraw from the European space agency to push it through. The most recent source of irritation came when, against accords, the French refused to release the flight control software which lead to Italy having to develop and use its own.

Congratulations to all involved.

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Very interesting project, with 3 solid and 1 liquid stage I would assume it has some cost advantage over those that use many liquid stages. I don't know if they will get it down to the cost of some of the Russian stuff.

I look forward to see the development of this, as the germans seem interested in co developing this further.