U.S. military's pill would replace food, burn fat

Indus

U.S. military's pill would replace food, burn fat

U.S. military researchers are working on a powerful new weapon that could soon fall into civilian hands: a drug that would allow people to go safely without food for nearly a week at a time.

The metabolic dominance program's vision is to help those fighting a war to operate at "superior" levels of physical and mental performance for three to five days, 24 hours a day, "without the need for calories."

DARPA, the Defence Advanced Research Projects Agency, has given scientists until the end of March to submit proposals for new ways to make food dispensable. The most ambitious goal for this "operational dominance" is to artificially manipulate the human body's metabolism and find ways to better access energy-rich fat stores.

In other words, a potential pill that would burn up fat -- without gobbling up muscle as an energy source -- during prolonged periods of self-starvation, without affecting vital fuel supplies to the brain.

Obesity expert Dr. Robert Dent thinks it will be possible in the not-too-distant future.

"That's the fascinating thing about this: What would be the ramifications for peaceful uses, or medical uses? The ramifications might be that we could help people reduce their body fat in a better way."

People have to work exceedingly hard to get into their fat stores. Even male athletes who want to get their percentage of body fat down from, for example, 21 per cent to 18 per cent, "have to exercise aerobically for at least half an hour before you start accessing fat stores," says Dent, medical director of the Ottawa Hospital's Weight Management Clinic. And while humans can go a month without food, "we don't function at peak performance."

But Dent cautions that any experiments must proceed "with the utmost respect of ethics.

"When it comes to military secrets about how you distort a human body, that doesn't ride real well with me."

Numerous drugs have been developed in conjunction with U.S. army researchers, including "wake-promoting" agents, pills that essentially eliminate the need for sleep for days.

Now, the Pentagon's quest to make soldiers function without food could lead to "grunts who are pretty much immune to normal human demands," reports Wired magazine. If successful, there's every chance an anti-food pill could become the latest "lifestyle" drug, a quick fix to puncture North America's ever-expanding girth. Just this week, the Canadian population health initiative, a program of the Canadian Institute for Health Information, reported that rates of overweight and obesity have more than doubled for Canadian adults in the last two decades.

---> http://www.canada.com/OwenSound/story.html?id=e8ee9d45-3930-49b6-b297-d5c9ab4aa6a4

adil

The nazis had similar projects that they used to try to create the perfect soldier. none worked though, subjects ended up with all sorts of side effects, and most died within days. Just shows that the world shouldnt push humans beyond thier limits by using these. If people want2 lose weight, they get up off their phat a$$ n do sum excercise.

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
They already have an anti-food pill, it's called the MRE :puke How many of you have had to live on those for for 10 or 12 days? I guarantee weight loss! I will remain skeptical of this achievement. The news story should start out with: "Brought to you by the makers of......LSD." :hehe

Red aRRow

Forum Bouncer
Pill would be good for SpecOps which have to operate in hostile terrain without any supply line.
Could also be good for lazy a$$ed people like me too. :lol :lol

Winter

Well this could certainly get into the wrong hands...Forget obesity, here comes anorexia. :roll

I hope it would be regulated and prescribed, not sold over the counter by the cargo-ship-load...

mysterious

Oh come on! Dont the soldiers (of every country that goes to war) already go through so much pain and endurance; that now you're gona deny them NORMAL food and keep them on food pills? LOL. I think this should only be used in the most extreme and unforgiving situations and circumstances otherwise, all efforts should be made to make proper food available to the soldiers who already sacrifice a LOT for their homelands! :cop

A

Aussie Digger

I agree with mysterious. How many fat soldiers do you see? Not very many. Most infantry soldiers in most nations would have probably no more than 12 per cent body fat at best. You need to be fit to do an infantry mans work properly. Fat is stored in a human body for a very good reason. It's designed as a reserve. It is dangerous to go below a certain fat percentage for extended periods of time. Even body builders who sometimes have a fat percentage as low as 2 per cent only manage it for short periods of time, (several weeks at most). In addition to the health aspects, a hot meal is quite often the only time you get to be a bit creative as a soldier. Usually when you're out bush (in the field) you undertake very mundane, often boring work. Try sitting out in the bush at night sometime, just staring, trying to see something in utter darkness. Intersperse this with a couple (3 maximum) hours of sleep then get up and stare into the bush for another hour and then get back to sleep for another few hours, before you wake up before dawn and get ready for another long days work. It ain't real exciting. Cooking a meal is a morale boosting exercise for the troops as it allows them to do something just for themselves and they can do anything they like (within certain limits, time frame, ingredients etc.) This can be ver important in an environment where very little is what you would "like" to do. I understand why they are trying to do this, so they can reduce the weight a soldier is expected to carry. However I doubt such a pill will ever become popular amongst the troops, for the reasons I outlined above. Cheers.

Red aRRow

Forum Bouncer
Gremlin29 said:
That settles it, you really are a United States Marine!! :)
:lol :lol :lol :lol

Well come to think of it, the normal food rations of the U.S. military ain't that bad. One of my acquaintances from the U.S. marines once brought me an M.R.E which was not bad at all. :)

umair

Peace Enforcer
The best food for a soldier in my opinion would be chocolate and candy bars(in the battlefield only).Cause they have a high sugar content and the glucose in them is absorbed more easily and quickly compared to normal food, thus giving a soldier energy when he needs it.Gremlin,AD,gf any comments?
BTW the Pakistani Army has it's own unique high energy food, roasted chickpeas mixed with brown sugar.Try wolfing that down without water(ain't easy!) :D

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
They do load up MRE's with sugar for the very reason umair has pointed out. The problem with Chocolate is that it is not very stable in high temperatrues. I am old enough to have eaten the old C Rations which included chocolate wafers that could actually be melted and turned into candles! :laugh The US Army has an unwritten rule that troops will be served at least one bona fide hot meal a day. This isn't practical for some troops (SF, Rangers etc.) but for the average fighting man that's supposed to be the deal. Unfortunatley often enough that 1 hot meal originates from "T" rations which are nothing more than giant MRE's. It's the same stuff, just packaged in bulk to be heated and served by cooks. Yuk! I've never found more than 4 meals in a menu that were pallatable enough to choke down on a regular basis. Unfortunately said menu is usually available for a year or more so variety is not an option. It's the old axiom "if your really hungry you'll eat anything".

Anybody here that has soldiered will attest to the fact that good chow, and especially hot chow is tremendously important to troops and their psychological well being. At any rate the DoD just announced a year or two ago that they had upped the maxiumum allowable days soldiers could subsist solely on MRE's from 14 to 21 days. I wonder what happens after 21 days? :laugh

My favorite MRE is Beans and weenies. The weenies are 4 small hotdogs in a package, with a seperate pack of beans chock full of brown sugar. This meal has earned the nickname "The Four Fingers of Death". Best served with MRE bread if your lucky enough to get one (it's a mini loaf of bread and actually quite tasty).

My most hated MRE's are Chop Suey and the crappy Omlette, neither of which are fit for man or beast. Falling in line with these two meals are the cartons of "Shelf Milk". Shelf milk is ....well I don't know what it is exactly and I'm almost afraid to know what exactly was milked to produce this vile creation.

All of the above opinions are drawn from a spoiled westerner. I know some armies have existed on practically nothing at all. The North Vietnamese Army is almost as good of case study as there could be on how little soldiers can get by with (a ball of rice and some horrid fish sauce) and illustrates the advantages and disadvantages of certain cultures.

A

Aussie Digger

In the Australian Army we had several different types of rations. The CRP(Combat Ration Pack) was designed as a 24hr ration pack for an individual soldier. This pack weighed heaps and basically all the food was tinned. There were five different packs and each basically contained the same flavourless main meals and snacks such as chocolate, biscuits shortbread etc. The preferred cooking method for the main meal, was to mix them all together and add large amounts of salt, pepper and Tabasco sauce to get some flavour into the mess. The meal was then described as a "road smash", although it usually didn't taste as bad as it looked... Then we had a 5 man ration pack which basically contained enough whole meals to feed 5 "men" for 1 day. No snacks though so these weren't really liked that well, even though the meals were better than the CRP's. Then occasionally we had "hot boxes" delivered to us out in the bush, which consisted of hot meals cooked in a field kitchen and "boxed up". These were generally the best tasting, but were a cheap way out as they were delivered in place of CRP's, meaning we generally had no snacks etc out in the bush. We also often received "fresh" deliveries of food such as fresh bread, eggs, milk etc. These were welcomed as well for the variety. Gremlin is certainly correct about the value of hot food out bush. Cheers.

Humayun

Arnt they talking about Amphetamines? I know that the USAF dispense them out. And oh man do they do wonders for concentration and physical endurance.

Pathfinder-X

Tribal Warlord
Verified Defense Pro
i dunno about u, but i rather not eat than choke down a pill. i mean MRE taste nasty enough, now US army is giving out some weird pill??
i thought u r suppose to make ur soldier's life better not more miserable.

adsH

Pathfinder-X said:
i dunno about u, but i rather not eat than choke down a pill. i mean MRE taste nasty enough, now US army is giving out some weird pill??
i thought u r suppose to make ur soldier's life better not more miserable.
i can tell you about something that they have on shelves here in pharmacies they are like small tablets of compressed wheat they are used by mostly the larger than average sized people:D that have a tendency of eating till there bellies pop!! they swallow those compressed weat tablets and then they just drink loads of water , the water literally makes them(tablets) swell up there fore providing very little fat but a sence of full belly.