Preventing Terrorism: Paving the Way to Peace With Invincible Defense Technology

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Please read "editor's Note" before commenting.

Preventing Terrorism: Paving the Way to Peace With Invincible Defense Technology

Maj. Gen. Kulwant Singh (Retd.) and Dr. David Leffler
Jan 18, 2005, 09:11

Full Article? Follow the link below:
http://www.defencetalk.com/news/publish/article_002046.shtml

Editor's Note: Even though this article has spiritual connotations, it is intended to stir a debate on alternative methods to prevent the disease of terrorism through new means of defence and military-related technologies. All ideas and avenues must be checked in light of defence and the military rather than any spiritual and social differences that they might present. I would like to thank Maj. Gen. Kulwant Singh and Dr Leffler for submitting this article to DefenceTalk.com News.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The best way to guard against terrorism is to have no enemies. No enemies equals no terrorism! Invincible Defense Technology (also known as Consciousness-Based Defense or Unified Field-Based Defense) is a scientifically validated means to prevent enemies from arising. IDT is rooted in ancient Vedic knowledge of India. This recently revived method of preventive defense promises to end terrorism.

Last edited by a moderator:

davidoj

600 Scientific Studies Verify Maharishi's Invincible Defence Plan

Those who shy away from this technology to reduce and eliminate terrorism and war should know that it is supported by over 600 scientific studies conducted in 200 universities and research institutions in 33 countries.

550 of the studies show that the Transcendental Meditation technique creates a state of peace and coherence in the individual, and another 50 well-controlled studies show that this influence of coherence is radiated into the larger society via collective consciousness. My own research, published in leading journals, has shown that groups of TM meditators reduce war, crime, improve the general quality of life, and dramatically decrease terrorism (see www.Orme-JohnsonResearch.net).

For me personally, it has been a nightmare to see all the war, poverty, and injustices in the world continuing, when I know that we have an objectively proven technology for creating world peace. Please Dear World. Maharishi has given you the key. Put aside your philosophical and religious differences and find fulfillment of the highest aspirations of your and every culture in this proven approach.

David Orme-Johnson, PhD
January 20, 2005

Last edited by a moderator:

Carla Brown EdD

This article is timely and to the point. It comes from a surprising source, but it has been validated numerous times. In my Harvard doctoral dissertation I examined the research and reception to it within the Middle East policy community in the U.S. Many of my respondents were able to examine this research without prejudice because they know the costs of war and are looking for solutions.

Among my respondents was a US senator who suggested that demonstration projects be undertaken to test these theories. An article to be published this month in the Journal of Social Behavior and Personality by John Davies documents such projects. The results are startling, the experiment rigorous, and the results startling. Over a 2.25-year period seven assemblies were predicted to have an effect on the war in Lebanon.

“Box-Jenkins impact assessment analyses indicated that the assemblies had a highly significant impact in the predicted direction on all dependent variables, with an estimated mean 66% increase in cooperation and estimated reductions of 48% in conflict, 71% in war fatalities, and 68% in war injuries during the assemblies (p < .00001 for each variable). Analysis of an index combining the dependent variables indicated that each of the seven assemblies also had a separate positive impact on the war (p < .01). These results were robust across alternative models of the dependent series, and improvements could not be ac-counted for in terms of changes in temperature, holidays, weekends, or other forms of seasonality or trends in the dependent series, which were explicitly controlled for. Nor were results explicable in terms of “reverse causality†(assemblies being held in reaction to prior events in Lebanon), as experimental periods (assembly dates) were set months in advance and were statistically independent from prior levels of conflict.â€

In the field of international diplomacy, it may seem natural to question an approach that uses inner human transcendence. People are also politically inclined to use approaches used in the past. When tens of thousands of lives are at stake, however, and scientific investigation has repeatedly verified that these approaches work — that they significantly cool down conflict — they should be implemented with speed.

One respondent told me that scientists know that this technology works; they just didn’t want a competing theory. Again, research indicates that those whose lives are on the line and those who would protect the US against terrorism would do well to implement these approaches. If you have interest in this research, please contact me at [email protected].

Last edited:

highsea

Carla Brown EdD said:
...with an estimated mean 66% increase in cooperation and estimated reductions of 48% in conflict, 71% in war fatalities, and 68% in war injuries during the assemblies (p < .00001) Analysis of an index combining the dependent variables indicated that each of the seven assemblies also had a separate positive impact on the war (p < .01) ...
I don't really have any comments, but I do have a couple questions. I read the paper on Dr. Orme-Johnson's website, but I am unclear on a couple points.

1. What is meant by (p<.01) and (p<.00001), and how are these figures derived?

2. Since there is no scientific theory to account for the claims, we have to rely on anectodal evidence. Is the raw data available for review wrt the city/crime studies? It would also help to know which mathematical formulas/equations were applied to the data to arrive at the results specified.

3. How were the "minumum meditator" requirements of (1%) and (sq. rt. 1%) of population determined, and how quickly does the effect decrease over distance? For example, in urban areas where the 1% groups were concentrated, how were the outlying suburbs affected, and was the range of the effect common to all the study areas? How much deviation was there, since the results are presented as averages?

4. All new ideas are subject to some degree of scepticism by the scientific community. What do the detractors say about TM's ability to shape events as described, and are there any current experiments underway?

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
The best way to guard against terrorism is to have no enemies. No enemies equals no terrorism! Invincible Defense Technology (also known as Consciousness-Based Defense or Unified Field-Based Defense) is a scientifically validated means to prevent enemies from arising
I have few questions but I'll only ask when m told what exactly do authors mean by "Invincible Defence Technology".

By defence technolgy do they mean weapons? if yes do they mean modern weapons of today or the one planned for future?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

please do not reply i just read the full artical. Changed my questions & will ask after complete understanding.

Thanks for the artical Dr. Leffler its worth reading, understanding & for scientific research it is worth to be used in practice, atleast on experimental bases (I'll show this to my MBR teacher & ask him if some sort of staged experiment can be arranged. Although m business student & he is business teacher but we both believe that sociaty is the one that should be tested for any thing wheather it is business research or any thing else. To me this is also based on social issues so I think it would interesting to experiment with it)
This theory remains a hypothesis, untill it is experimented & some sort of result (wheather negative or possitive) is achieved.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Carla Brown EdD

In answer to your questions,

1. These figures describe statistical significance; in this case a high level of significance. The figures describe the significance of Box Jenkins Time Series analysis – to what degree the findings could have occurred by chance. The findings in this case have to do with whether the research outcomes were predicted by seasonal or other regularly occurring effects. John Davies’ research involved seven replications of a piece of research chronicled in the prestigious Yale Journal of Conflict Resolution (JCR). His research exhaustively reviewed all of the assemblies that occurred in relation to the war in Lebanon. The statistics cited control exhaustively for any other explanatory factors. The p-values indicate that the results cannot reasonably be attributed to chance in those 7 instances over two and a quarter years.

2. Re: theory, let’s be clear, there is theory here. The theory has been articulated over the last half century by a group of researchers based on Maharishi Mahesh Yogi’s original prediction that a small percentage of the population -- as little as 1% -- would improve quality of life and lead to world peace. Initial studies involved cities with 1% meditating and examined changes in crime rate, looking at publicly available data. Eventually these studies included more cities, sometimes randomly assigned, and more variables as indicators of change in quality of life, such as automobile accidents, and suicide rates. The research has progressed, in that it has encompassed societal levels including cities, nations, and the world. Scientists have employed more sophisticated techniques for statistically controlling for seasonal and other alternative explanations. Also, in the late 1970's scientists began to look at the effect of the square root of 1% of the population practicing the TM-Sidhi program in the same place. This smaller number of required participants made experimental study easier. Quality of life indices have included increased economic strength, political cooperation, and decreases in violent crime, armed conflict, accidents, suicides, infectious diseases, and drug consumption. .

We do NOT have to rely on anecdotal evidence. That’s the point. We have this trend analysis to help us. The paper itself will provide the details of analysis when it is published within a month. The independent peer-review process for this paper and other published paper is exhaustive. Part of review process requires the availability of data for review.
3. This research was measuring the effect of numbers of Transcendental Meditation practitioners meditating together on populations. The theory and findings do not speak so much of geographical distance as they do of a sufficiently large subset of a population affecting that population. So far the research suggests that one percent of a population or the square root of one percent of the population is sufficient to cause a change in quality of life, even to the extent of having a dramatic effect of war intensity and war deaths.
4. The last two experimental demonstrations of the Maharishi Effect as it is known were:

· Hagelin JS, Rainforth MV, Orme-Johnson DW, Cavanaugh KL, Alexander CN, Shatkin SF, et al. Effects of group practice of the Transcendental Meditation program on preventing violent crime in Washington, DC: Results of the National Demonstration Project, June–July 1993. Social Indicators Research 1999;47 (2):153-201.)
· Hatchard GD, Deans AJ, Cavanaugh KL, Orme-Johnson DW. The Maharishi Effect: A model for social improvement. Time series analysis of a phase transition to reduced crime in Merseyside metropolitan area. Psychology, Crime & Law 1996;2(3):165-174.
There is no study being undertaken now.

My research examined how peer reviewers and critics of a piece of research published in 1988 in the Journal of Conflict Resolution (JCR) arrived at judgments about whether they would publish or consider a follow-up study. That JCR piece included findings of a 75% reduction in war deaths and a 45% reduction in war intensity when the size of a group of Transcendental Meditation practitioners reached predicted threshold levels in East Jerusalem during the war between Israel and Lebanon in 1982-83.

The JCR gave more than the usual review to this research. When the research passed muster, it was published with a note from the editor and reviewer. Critiques then ensued.

I interviewed several critics of the research who did not set out to test the research as much as to put it down. One told me that the research was interfering with his turf and that he wanted to “go after these dudes.†Background correspondence included innuendo, name calling, and efforts to rhetorically disclaim the research and its authors.

Publication of John Davies’ research has been delayed by 15 years, even though the lead critic told me that something was really happening in that research -- something that had to be explained away.

Whenever serious scientific analysis and thorough review was given to this research, the reviewers wrote that they had to say that the results were going in the direction reported by the authors.

In other words, as with much of science, this research encountered adversaries. I documented quite a bit of stereotyping and prejudice associated with review of this research by policy makers, journalists, and scientists.

I was surprised to find that a substantial number of the people who I interviewed were open to reading the results without difficulties. They would consider further research. They did not necessarily believe the research outright, but they were not challenged by it. They tended to be people who worked on the ground in the conflict-ridden Middle East and who felt they could not afford to ignore research like this just because it seemed to be too good to be true.

Dr. Leffler

SABRE said:
Thanks for the artical Dr. Leffler its worth reading, understanding & for scientific research it is worth to be used in practice, atleast on experimental bases (I'll show this to my MBR teacher & ask him if some sort of staged experiment can be arranged. Although m business student & he is business teacher but we both believe that sociaty is the one that should be tested for any thing wheather it is business research or any thing else. To me this is also based on social issues so I think it would interesting to experiment with it)
This theory remains a hypothesis, untill it is experimented & some sort of result (wheather negative or possitive) is achieved.
SABRE,

Security And Political Risk Analysis (SAPRA India) published an academic paper entitled "An Alternative To Military Violence And Fear-Based Deterrence: Twenty Years Of Research On The Maharishi Effect" that discusses pertinent Invincible Defense Technology research. The paper is available at:
http://www.invinciblemilitary.org/articles/sapraalternative.html

This paper includes a chart that summarizes the findings of nearly 50 studies that were available at the time of publication. It includes a short summary of the study Dr. Carla Brown discussed in her posting (by Dr. John Davies and the late Dr. Charles Alexander, which is number 13 on the chart referenced below).

The chart is available at:

http://www.invinciblemilitary.org/articles/sapratableii.html

Dr. John Davies is at the Center for International Development and Conflict Management at the University of Maryland. The late Dr. Charles Alexander was at Harvard University and, later, Maharishi International University.

Their study is significant because it examines the entire sequence of assemblies of Transcendental Meditators of sufficient size and proximity for an impact to be predicted in Lebanon (Lebanon is known among conflict resolution scholars as among the most difficult conflicts to influence).

Your business professor may be interested in these papers published in the Proceeding of the American Statistical Association, Business and Economics Statistics Section and the Proceedings of the Midwest Management Society that are also summarized in this chart.

http://www.invinciblemilitary.org/articles/sapratableii.html#b8

http://www.invinciblemilitary.org/articles/sapratableii.html#b9

http://www.invinciblemilitary.org/articles/sapratableii.html#b10

http://www.invinciblemilitary.org/articles/sapratableii.html#b11

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
Thanks for more articals Dr.Leffler. They may come pretty handy if my MBR teacher agrees to do some small scale tests & experiments with it. I'll also pass them to my Domestic & International Relations teacher who happens to be a former diplomat.

Dr. Leffler

Carla Brown EdD said:
...Publication of John Davies’ research has been delayed by 15 years, even though the lead critic told me that something was really happening in that research -- something that had to be explained away.

Whenever serious scientific analysis and thorough review was given to this research, the reviewers wrote that they had to say that the results were going in the direction reported by the authors.

In other words, as with much of science, this research encountered adversaries. I documented quite a bit of stereotyping and prejudice associated with review of this research by policy makers, journalists, and scientists...
Dr. Brown,

Invincible Defense Technology advocate Colonel (Dr.) Brian M. Rees, Medical Corps, US Army Reserve, addresses this issue in his book Terrorism, Retaliation and Victory - Awaken the Soul of America to Defeat Terrorism without Casualties.

More information is available at: http://prevent_terrorism.home.att.net

Col. Rees writes in his book:

You probably haven't heard much about these studies. I am surprised that some ambitious investigative reporter hasn't gotten the bit between his teeth and chased this story down. It is either one of the most important findings in the history of science, or else it is a juicy piece of fraudulent science; either way it's a great story from the journalist's perspective. I have personally interviewed a number of the original researchers, and I am convinced of their scientific integrity.

The degree of sophistication of the analysis, perhaps, has put off some people including reporters. I have described the methodology of what is called time-series analysis, which is really the only way to analyze such data. As I mentioned, you can't just take the number of robberies in January of 1993 and compare it to the number of robberies in July; nor can you take July 1992 and compare it to July 1993, without accounting for these confounding factors of crime trends, temperature, precipitation, and weekend effects (as it turned out, mostly temperature). (Chapter 8, page 121-122)
Colonel Brian M. Rees is graduate of the Army Command and General Staff College. He has over 26 years of commissioned military service. Currently, Col. Rees is the commander of the 349th General Hospital, headquartered in Los Angeles, California. He is a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) and the American Legion.

Recent media attention on Dr. Rees includes an article from the April 5, 2004 Stars and Stripes newspaper called "Army Doctor Proactive in Trying to Keep Patients and Society Healthy".

(Available at: http://www.stripes.com/article.asp?section=104&article=20637&archive=true )

Two videos on The Official US Army Recruiting Website called "Vision of Service" and "Chance to Give Back" feature Col. Rees.

(Available at: http://www.goarmy.com/amedd/medical/corps_profiles.jsp )

Colonel Rees co-authored an article about Invincible Defence Technology entitled "Homeland Security With Unified Field-Based Defence Technology" that was recently published by Defence India. (Available at: http://www.invinciblemilitary.org/articles/bombs_silence.html )

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
The best way to guard against terrorism is to have no enemies. No enemies equals no terrorism! Invincible Defense Technology (also known as Consciousness-Based Defense or Unified Field-Based Defense) is a scientifically validated means to prevent enemies from arising.
I do agree that the best way to guard against terrorism is to have no enemies but I am confused over the means stated on preventing enemies from rising. My question is that can IDT plug the roots of terrorism out. Terrorism starts not by it self but for some specific reason. The one the world calls terrorists call them selves as freedom fighters. Hence the cause of them becoming so voilent is the limitation of their freedom by others out side their community.
So can IDT eliminate injustice, limitation of freedom by others etc..??? Because it is my believe that by reducing the injustice from the social circles n the world can help preventing enemies from rising.

Dr. Leffler

SABRE said:
So can IDT eliminate injustice, limitation of freedom by others etc..??? Because it is my believe that by reducing the injustice from the social circles n the world can help preventing enemies from rising.
Yes it can! High levels of collective societal stress apparently are responsible for causing injustice in social circles - this injustice ultimately leads to problems like terrorism and war. When people are more relaxed, happy and fulfilled (instead of highly stressed), then, they are more broadminded. They treat other people more fairly in their social interactions. This is because they can better understand other people's perspectives and viewpoints.

This is a difficult concept to explain here in my brief Defence Talk forum posting. If you have not already done so, please read the article referenced below. It talks about how President Alberto Joachim Chissano used Invincible Defense Technology (IDT) to bring an end to decades of war in Mozambique. Several scientists, a Navy SEAL officer and I wrote this thought-provoking article describing deployment of, and the underlying theory behind, this revolutionary IDT system that was deployed by Mozambique military. In particular, please see the quotes by Lt. General Tobias Dai, (Ret.), the Defense Minister of Mozambique. An edited version of our article was published by the Canadian Centres for Teaching Peace.

Article: "Mozambique's 'Secret Weapon!' Mozambique's Invincible "National Armor" Prevented an Enemy from Arising Within or Outside the Country" by David R. Leffler, Ph.D., Kurt G. Kleinschnitz, Ph.D., Kenneth W. Walton, Ph.D., Ensign Daniel K. Burke, USNR and Susan Vegors, Ph.D.

Available at: http://www.davidleffler.com/secretweapon.html

redsoulja

Dr.Leffler being a Hindu myself i attempted to discover TM for myself and my personal problems, but all the sites i searched up told me how much to pay and where to go for the seven step course but none told me how to exactly practise Tm ro its difference form focused meditation which already started recently. Ive got some books written by the Maharishi himself but they haev mostly text of a philosophical nature- fascinating- yet incapable of being utilized to practise TM. Do you have any sources/books that will teach me how to practise TM without having to dish out money and tome going to seven seminars?

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
Dr.Leffler one simple question for you.

Can religion prevent terrorism & enemies from rising???

Dr. Leffler

SABRE said:
Dr.Leffler one simple question for you.
SABRE said:
Can religion prevent terrorism & enemies from rising???

In short, no - religion, in its present form, apparently cannot prevent terrorism and enemies. In his excellent book, The Lessons of Terror: A History of Warfare Against Civilians: Why It Has Always Failed and Why It Will Fail Again, Caleb Carr argues that:
Long before the deliberate military targeting of civilians as a method of affecting the political behavior of nations and leaders came to be called terrorism, the tactic had a host of other names...the phrase that was most often used was destructive war. (Available at: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0375508430/ref=pd_sim_books_2/102-7186145-3809741?v=glance&s=books
Humankind has been plagued by destructive war (or terrorism) since the beginning of recorded history. Unfortunately, much of this conflict has been fueled by religion. Therefore, the historical records show that religion does not prevent terrorism or prevent enemies from arising. For this reason, in this forum we will discuss science, rather than religion. Extensive scientific research shows that Invincible Defense Techology reduces the collective stress responsible for social problems like terrorism, war and crime. Much of this research is summarized in the paper referenced below:

Dr. David R. Leffler, Dr. Kenneth G. Walton & Wing Commander Ravi Badhwar (Indian Air Force, Retired) (2001, June 13). Maharishi's Supreme Military Science--A revolutionary change in the character of military intervention. India Defence Consultants, (Available at: http://www.indiadefence.com/SupremeMilitaryi.htm ).

Lastly, as you know the rules for this Defence Talk forum prohibit discussion of religion.

Dr. Leffler

redsoulja said:
Dr.Leffler being a Hindu myself i attempted to discover TM for myself and my personal problems, but all the sites i searched up told me how much to pay and where to go for the seven step course but none told me how to exactly practise Tm ro its difference form focused meditation which already started recently. Ive got some books written by the Maharishi himself but they haev mostly text of a philosophical nature- fascinating- yet incapable of being utilized to practise TM. Do you have any sources/books that will teach me how to practise TM without having to dish out money and tome going to seven seminars?
Although I am responding to redsoulja's reply, this also applies to SABRE's question as well. While it is true that the Transcendental Meditation (TM) technique originates from the Vedic tradition, TM is not a religion. Maharishi is a Hindu monk in this tradition. However, he has structured the TM program as a component of Invincible Defense Technology to be a non-religious practice. People of any faith or no faith can use the TM technique to reduce stress and utilize more of their full potential. It works regardless of religion.

Unfortunately, the TM program cannot be learned from a book. If this were possible Maharishi would have written a best-selling book a long time ago. In order for the TM technique to work correctly and to gain all the benefits of the practice, people must learn from a qualified instructor in the seven-step course as structured by Maharishi.

Carla Brown EdD

highsea said:
Is the raw data available for review wrt the city/crime studies? It would also help to know which mathematical formulas/equations were applied to the data to arrive at the results specified.

High Seas,

More re your earlier post: you have some very good questions that deserve thorough answers. This is especially the case when research appears to result in findings beyond your experience. The theoretical base and logical inferences involved in this research may not be familiar.

These experiments were actually conceived by physicists. Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, himself, was trained as a physicist.

Continuing dialogue IS necessary. The theory is very precise and most people that I interviewed had difficulty relating to the claims because they had no experience with which to judge.

You are justified in trying to look very closely at this research. As I said, look for John Davies’ research to be published this month in the Journal of Social Behavior and Personality.

One study of interest, particularly relevant to this forum about preventing war and terrorism is described below. This study used publicly available data, obtainable from the Rand Corporation.

"Unified Field-Based Defence Technology consisting of the Transcendental Meditation programme and its advanced practice, the TM-Sidhi programme, has been tried out in many war zones and conflict-prone areas with excellent results; the success has been scientifically validated and documented in over 50 studies. A landmark study just published in the Journal of Offender Rehabilitation [this link goes to an abstract on the Journal's website] shows a 72% reduction in international terrorism (p<.025) when the proper threshold of people practicing Unified Field-Based Defence Technology was reached. These assemblies were held during the years 1983–1985. This study investigated the effects of three large assemblies approaching the Maharishi Effect threshold for the world at this time. (n=7,000). Time series analysis was used in conjunction with the content analysis of world-wide news events reported in the New York Times and London Times. The Rand Corporation data bank was used to study international conflict (p<.025, p<.005 and p<.01 for each of the three assemblies) and terrorism (p<.025). The study also revealed that international conflict decreased 33% (p<.025). Analysis of the data indicates that the Maharishi Effect had a rapid onset that influenced trends from distances of thousands of miles and more importantly that violence was reduced in other nations without the overt intrusion by any governments."

Major General Kulwant Singh (Indian Army, Retired), Colonel Brian Rees, M.D. (U.S. Army), Michael Larrass, Ph.D., & Dr. David R. Leffler (2004, November 28). Homeland Security with Unified Field-Based Defense Technology. Defence India, (Available at: http://www.defenceindia.com/defenceind/research.html)

The abstract for this study is
available at the Journal of Offender
Rehabilitation website at:

http://www.haworthpress.com/store/toc/htmv/J076v36n01_TOC.htm?sid=JGELTLNRQ7
4G8PSTN9TDBWE3SXNK1LN5&%3C/

rajupaki

i havent read all the posts but i would just say that terrorism on big scale is something which is created by the west. Why US has been targetted on 9/11 even terrorist know that this country has the best defence on earth. Why?. There must be something which US had been done wrong in Past and continuing to that. 9/11 is not something happened ultimately. There were a whole chain of US faults...sorry blunders, which US was doing against Muslims. And 9/11 was the reaction. I dont want to go in details due to shortage of time(for me) but i know only one thing Solve Plestine,chechnia,and Kashmir Issue, have good relations with All muslim countries and you will see a world free of TERROR.

Last edited:

highsea

Carla Brown EdD said:
...you have some very good questions that deserve thorough answers. This is especially the case when research appears to result in findings beyond your experience. The theoretical base and logical inferences involved in this research may not be familiar.

These experiments were actually conceived by physicists. Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, himself, was trained as a physicist.
Thank you Dr. Brown. I have read the links provided, but unfortunately the actual studies/data cited are not available. I am not a statistician, so I am not familiar with the Box-Jenkins analysis method, other than in general terms. It's not something I could apply to the data myself without quite a bit of effort and study. I was actually more interested in seeing the raw data and the assumptions made prior to applying the formula.

One of the main difficulties I have is with the claim that this is a manipulation or manifestation of a "unified field", e.g., we are dealing with a force of nature. In science, we are taught our four forces- gravity, electromagnetism, and the strong and weak nuclear forces. Modern physics understands that electromagnetism and the weak nuclear force are manifestations of the same force, and refer to it as the electroweak force. All of these forces have common properties, i.e. force carrying particles (or in the case of gravity, the assumption of a force carrying particle). They can all be defined in mathematical terms, and validated in the laboratory.

Unified field theories have been the holy grail of physics for a century or so. Through high energy physics, we have been able to unify 3 of the 4 forces, and only gravity has avoided our grasp. The experiments involve reproducing the conditions of the universe at the time of the Big Bang. It is theorized that if we could create the conditions prior to the first symmetry breaking (the origin of the gravitational force), we would have all 4 forces unified. This involves creating conditions in the laboratory that are prior to the first 1/100 of a second after the Big Bang. Not a trivial task.

Invincible Defence Technology violates some of the physical laws we have come to take for granted, such as local causality. While there are other examples of such violations in quantum physics, such as the Bell Effect, they are limited and understandable (it is assumed that a working quantum theory of gravity would resolve these difficulties). IDT gets around these problems by claiming to operate at a level more fundamental than the 4 forces (most notably gravity), since it is General Relativity that gives us the law of local causality. Also, Yogic Flying is apparently defying gravity directly. It goes without saying that this will raise some eyebrows in the scientific community.

For Invincible Defence Technology to lay a credible claim to a unified field, it must be quantified. So far I have not seen this. It also has to be shown that it exists independant of human interaction, in fact, independant of life itself, or it cannot be considered a fundamental force. In addition, the mechanism that the brain uses to manipulate this field needs to at least be postulated. What is so special about humans that we have this power?

So if it's possible, I would like to hear the scientific explanation of the theory, as defined by the Maharishi (or someone with an equal background in Physics and understanding of the theory).

Please do not think that I am automatically discounting the theory. I have great respect for the contributions to science that have come out of India in the past. It's just that this particular one is much closer to metaphysics than physics, from what I have seen so far.

Carla Brown EdD

High Seas,

I apologize for the delay in responding to you.

Your first question concerns the raw data. In most cases, as with the study that I examined for my Harvard doctoral dissertation, the data is publicly available, archival, with research hypotheses lodged in advance of the experiments. The research I examined is part of an ongoing program with systematic replication.

What were the assumptions and experience of the data at the time of the experiment? We have several indications. The outcomes were evident to researchers in the first-level compilation of data, that is with eyeball examination. This data is evident in published charts. For example, the Journal of Conflict Resolution Study that I examined published a chart, showing “a tendency toward an inverse correlation between the MTUF group size and the war intensity in Lebanon) (see Journal of Conflict Resolution, 32 (4), Dec. 1988, 776-812)

We also have reports from observers, from independent board members who were sent the data as it was collected, from public officials, and from meditating participants.

Dr. Kurt Kleinschnitz in private correspondence describes the response of a Chief of Police below:

“For one of the best of these studies, predictions were lodged publicly in advance, and a panel of more than 20 scientists not affiliated with the organization and the police of the district agreed to review the findings (Washington, DC in 1993). At the presentation of the prediction, a 25% drop in crime in the District over an 8-week period over June and July, the Chief of Police replied with his own prediction—to the effect that the only way you could produce such an effect would be 25 inches of snow. By the end of the demonstration project, crime had decreased below baseline projections by the predicted 25%. The panel of scientists and the police signed off on the study. The city itself was noticeably calmer—with many fewer sirens at night for example.â€

Dani Kesler, an Israeli participant in the assembly in 1982-83 (when the Journal of Conflict Resolution study was conducted) describes being a reservist who was drafted to be among 8000 Israelis who surrounded 4000 Palestinians, all “absolutely ready to fight.â€

“On that Friday, it was tanks and armed carriers – the whole show. On Friday there was a schedule for the event to happen. All of the hospitals north of Tel Aviv were put on the highest degree of alertness. The Air Force was on highest alert. The tension was building up. When the date came, we actually reached 200 (square root number for Israel). When the operation took place, not even one gunshot happened. Not one. The day before one guy was shot cleaning his gun in my tent.

“It was just something that nobody expected. Everybody was expecting the worst. The Palestinians (4000 of them), they knew what was happening on our side, even though we were surrounding. That was the biggest miracle that could have happened in those circumstances. There was no flaring of violence. The soldiers had clear instructions. Slightest deviation from what we want to do, we shoot. We were all going with loaded guns.â€

Dani explained it was only after the experiment was conducted that he realized that the group was sufficiently large according to the theory to have affected these events.

“To be honest I didn’t believe in it at first. I told the people, ‘We will see.’ Even when personally I was there, it still didn’t convince me enough. I didn’t know we had the right number in Jerusalem.

I was meditating in some ambulance. A few months later, I looked at the numbers and I said, ‘Oh, look that is the day I was there. We were 200, perhaps 250 [meditating, which was near the threshold number needed to have an effect]. I didn’t realize it.†When I realized it, the researchers were no longer around.

In the same time period, Dani related that his cousin, a lawyer had a similar kind of confirmation regarding drop of crime.

“One of the days of good numbers was Succoth, a holiday near the end of the summer, harvest something. Takes about a week. During Succoth there is more chance for crime. My cousin, a lawyer, came to the Police station. It is the busiest time of the year, summer, hot, more crime. She apologized to the guy at the police station, not wanting to bother him because it was a busy time. She wanted to see about a guy in jail. The guy said, ‘I don’t know what happened. There is hardly any crime. I have so much time on my hands.â€

Box-Jenkins Time Series analysis provides a control for trends that might otherwise explain these immediate results.

I asked Dr. Kleinschnitz to address your next question re: the theoretical explanations involving the unified field. His doctoral dissertation dealt with this question:

“How is the effect generated? It emanates when a group of people practice the Transcendental Meditation and TM-Sidhi program together in synchrony. As the size of the group increases, an influence is detected in a larger population. The formula, based on the ‘super-radiance’ phenomenon from quantum optics, predicts that a population of 100 times the square of the group size will be impacted in a detectable fashion.

So, for the US with a population of 300 million, a group of 1,700 or larger is enough to produce the influence. This formula empirically builds upon the earliest findings that in a society where 1% of the population practices the Transcendental Meditation program individually—not as a group—trends in society will significantly improve. The 100 in the formula comes from this finding, first predicted by Maharishi in the late 60’s and early 70’s. The Transcendental Meditation technique itself dramatically increases orderliness across the individual brain, as measured by EEG studies. In many studies the group was far distant from or quite isolated from the populations studied—for example, a group in Iowa, USA was related to the decrease in war intensity in the Lebanese civil war halfway around the world.

So how does it work? What is the mechanism? Well—in my opinion this is Nobel Prize territory for someone who sorts it all out. In physics we know that consciousness impacts the object of investigation physically. You mention the Bell phenomenon, and there is the whole subject of quantum measurement theory. But how does this happen? There are a number of investigators at work in this field now doing quite interesting research, apart from the research on the Maharishi Effect. But physicists can’t say at this point.

It is actually easier to say what mechanisms it cannot be than what mechanism it is. For example, it is not weak or strong nuclear force because they are far too short range. It is not likely to be classical gravitation—which is long-range but incredibly weak, and there is no reason to propose a human sensory capability of detecting such weak gravity waves. And at the source there is no reason to suspect a classical gravitational influence. Electromagnetism at first blush seems to be a candidate for the mechanism, but as one looks more deeply into it, it becomes apparent that it cannot be the mechanism. There is a distinct electromagnetic signal associated with the practice of Transcendental Meditation. However, EEG signals are extraordinarily weak and are further attenuated by the skull. It would be very difficult to build a device to pick up EEG at even a short distance from a human subject. Further, some of these groups were situated either in metal buildings or beneath the ground, yet the influence was detected. And more, there is little to suggest a very weak electromagnetic signal could directly be received by the human physiologies across sometimes thousands of miles—and by so large a percentage of a population that very significant changes in behavior of society occur. Other more classical mechanics can also be ruled out—chemical pheromones can dramatically alter behavior in biological organisms and at long ranges, but such explanations would be quite unlikely over thousands of miles range. Also, there is no hint of such a chemical basis at the source where it would be most concentrated. Sounds, vibrations, sight, etc. all also can travel long distances, but again there is no basis at the source—the group—to suspect such a mechanism. Being nicer to people, smiling, etc. won’t produce long-range instantaneous influences. One can go through any list of potential mechanisms and rule them out.

Quite the opposite for the unified field. The unified field suggests itself as the mechanism for a number of reasons. It could be long range. It is bosonic, like gravity and electromagnetism, and so a super-radiance-like phenomenon can make sense. This is a highly important clue. The unified field is, as the writer mentioned, at the scale where gravity is united with the other three forces. The Maharishi Effect is profoundly connected with a quantum gravity scenario, as the most striking feature of such a group is that people are lifting up into the air during the practice of Yogic Flying—the most powerful of the TM-Sidhis and probably the practice most responsible for the Maharishi Effect. This lifting up could be connected with quantum gravity in a profound way. The unified field in its character is neither energy, nor matter, but extraordinarily most like thought-stuff. This also connects very well with a profound meditation practice that enables an individual to most clearly experience the subtlest currents of thought within themselves. There is a very developed history of the existence and abilities of human consciousness to directly impact the surroundings—contained in practically every religious tradition around the world, though mostly overlooked in the scientific literature. The more detailed of such explanations match extraordinarily well with comparable specific details for the unified field. Inside unified field theory itself, there are a number of promising potential candidates for the mechanism. Each point above could be unfolded in really great detail.

However, truthfully, mechanism is not the central issue. It is really a red herring. Our civilization was able to employ the telegraph with only a very rudimentary understanding of the electromagnetic field. Likewise, contrast the state of aeronautics at the time of the Wright brothers and today. What will we know about DNA a hundred years from now? Our ignorance doesn’t stop us from using what we do know. In almost every field of science and technology we employ whatever limited understanding we possess, and surely not a complete understanding, of natural law for the benefit of the human race.

There is no technology comparable whatever to the Maharishi Effect. The cost-effectiveness, the humanity of the approach (as opposed to warfare, conflict, competition, etc.), the simplicity, the immediate (almost instantaneous) payback, and its reliability set it apart from any other methods for resolving conflict, and administering society. A practical government would put it to work today, pay attention as they went along, and sort out the mechanism over time. It is my hope someone gets excited about all this, and just pushes it forward. There is research, there are countless anecdotes, there is so much to all of this for anyone to just look, satisfy theselves, and give it a try.â€

K Walton

For those having difficulty understanding how this Invincible Defense approach works, I can offer another angle based on my research in this area. Our results may be relevant to the question of how the Maharishi Effect engages the brain.

In a study published last month called “Effect of Group Practice of the Transcendental Meditation Program on Biochemical Indicators of Stress in Non-Meditators…†(Journal of Social Behavior and Personality, 2005, 17, 339-373), Ken Cavanaugh, Nirmal Pugh, and I evaluated the relationship between the number of people practicing the advanced Transcendental Meditation (TM-Sidhi) program in a group and the levels of biochemical indicators of stress in non-meditators miles away. We found that when the number of meditators in the group increased, the level of cortisol, a hormone associated with stress, decreased. Simultaneously, an indicator of serotonin, a neurochemical associated with well-being, increased. These results suggested that the greater the number of people practicing this program together, the more normal (or unstressed) the people in the surrounding area became.

There are two reasons these findings may be important: (1) they may help to understand how a group of TM meditators practicing together can affect brain activity in the larger population, and (2) they help to explain the particular effects of the group on the behavior of the larger population. Studies on the changes that take place when an individual begins the TM program indicate that stress related biochemicals such as cortisol decrease. They also indicate that indicators of well-being increase. This effect appears to be due to the experience of transcendental consciousness when the individual practices the technique of TM.

In the theoretical understanding of this effect, the Vedic tradition from which this technology arises indicates that transcendental consciousness is a direct experience of the unified field underlying and connecting all matter/energy in the universe. When the individual mind contacts this field, the field is “enlivened.†This means its properties and effects are more likely to be experienced by others in the surroundings.

Researchers in this area have concluded that the enlivenment of this field during a group meditation is analogous to the processes in a LASER. The more people transcending (experiencing the unified field) in a group, the greater the enlivenment of the field and the greater the effect on the surrounding people. (Theoretically, if the phenomenon is identical to the LASER, the increase is proportional to the square of the number of people in the group.) Even though most people in the surrounding area do not practice the TM and TM-Sidhi programs, they are affected by the enlivenment of transcendental consciousness (unified field), by the group, so their cortisol drops, and their serotonin rises.

Because both these biochemicals affect brain activity, the connection between what is happening in a group of meditators and what happens in these non-meditators is understandable. The brains of the non-meditators now are functioning more normally, in a less stressed manner just as is observed in individuals who begin the practice of TM. Their behaviors are based less on stressful emotions such as fear and anger and more on those of friendliness and compassion, characteristic of people who are happy and contented with their state of being. Stress-free people are happier, and happy people do not enjoy violence or war.

To respond to the above question from Sabre, happy, compassionate people do not behave in ways that create enemies. When enemies are not created, war does not occur. In this scenario, everybody wins. Hope this research and the explanation helps.

Ken Walton

Researcher