PHaSR, new rifle of the future?

s3kiz

A Turkish newspaper ran a small news article today about PHaSR (The Personnel Halting and Stimulation Response). Commenting that Pentagon will possibly consider using such a weapon in the future for the American Army. The weapon is reported to be undergoing development at Kirtland Air Base, New Mexico and has an effective range of 4km.

Beam me up Scotty!

Cheers.

source: http://www.hurriyet.com.tr/dunya/8555936.asp?gid=229&sz=89782

s3kiz

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That is 1 mighty hillarious looking gun. What kinda ammunition does it fire? Lasers?
It is isnt it. :)

In the first pic, the soldier lying and taking aim is forced to aim at what I can calculate from the angle of the rifle as an air target due to the "thickness" of the rifle above the pedestals surpassing the soldiers height while laying down.

And in response to your question, yes laser.

Cheers.

Atilla [TR]

And i thought the FN PS-2000 was weird looking look at this sucker! I think it might be a copy of a rifle from a HALO game? Somebody had lots of free time on the CAD program.

Last edited:

Generalissimo

What a waste of money. Rubber bullets, tear gas and batons will do this gun's job just as well and for much cheaper. The Pentagon wastes so much money on boodoggles like this. If they wanted to put money into a rifle-type weapon that uses directed energy for lethal purposes (which would have been worthwhile because you can actually use it in combat) then they should have just said so and researched that. A HMG sized DE weapon that could be mounted on vehicles could be extremely useful. But that's still a long way off.