India develops radar to locate weapons

ajay_ijn

India develops radar to locate weapons
http://www.newkerala.com/news-daily/news/features.php?action=fullnews&id=46920
[India News]: New Delhi, Dec 9 : India has developed a weapon-locating radar (WLR) similar to the AN/TPQ-37 of the US at a cost of Rs.260 million ($49 million), Defence Minister Pranab Mukherjee told the Lok Sabha Thursday.

The sytem was jointly developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and the public sector Bharat Electronics Ltd., he said in response to a question.

Bharat Electronics had also developed a jammer to contain remote triggered explosions, like those set off by terrorist groups against security forces, at a cost of Rs.14 million, Mukherjee added.

The government was not contemplating to make the technology available to other countries, he added.
DRDO develops indigenous jammer
http://in.rediff.com/news/2004/dec/09jammer.htm

Wow this is Interesting,DRDO is making some good Electronic warfare Systems.Tarang RWR was a also a good Electonic system developed by DRDO for Su-30MKI.
Recently India tried to buy US Artillery locating RADAR's,though they are developing a indigenous one.
Actually what is the importance of this weapon Locating RADAR in the modern Battlefield .I mean is it possible to deploy them fastly in Rapid Military operations?
Did US use them in Iraq or in some other place?
I read somewhere about Samyukta Electronic Warfare system developed by DRDO.

ajay_ijn

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Samyukta' presented to the Army
http://www.hindu.com/2004/01/20/stories/2004012001721300.htm

HYDERABAD, JAN. 19. In a landmark event aimed at strengthening the country's defence security, the first block of `Samyukta,' an indigenous, state-of-the-art Integrated Electronic Warfare (IEW) system was presented by the President, A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, to the Chief of the Army Staff, Gen. N.C. Vij, in the presence of the Defence Minister, George Fernandes, here on Monday.
Mr. Kalam handed over the first block of 26 vehicles to Gen. Vij. `Samyuktha' is a joint venture undertaken by the Defence Electronics Research Laboratory (DLRL) in a consortium approach with other agencies. It is mounted on ground mobile vehicles and covers HF to Millimetre wave frequencies range. The Coverage of the electronic spectrum of frequencies is done in two segments — communication segment and non-communication segment — which are finally integrated with the master control centre (MCC) through appropriate transmission stations.

It is capable of handling both ground-based and airborne threats. It has the capability to intercept, detect, search, identify and locate complex communication and radar signals. It monitors and analyses communication and radar activity across Forward Edge of the Battle Area (FEBA) and many other sophisticated features. Once deployed, the system has operational frontal coverage of 150/70 km.
In view of our "Doctrine of no first use," he said that it was essential to study how synchronised action between EW systems of the Army (Samyukta), Naval EW (Sangraha) and Air Force EW (Tempest) could prevent the entry of warheads in our territory.
I don't understand how can a Electonic warfare stop warheads?
I don't think Ballistic Missiles can be jammed in the terminal Phase and i think they don't have Command guidance which can be jammed.

Some more Info on Weapon Locating RADAR
http://www.acig.org/artman/publish/article_227.shtml
LRDE (DRDO) revealed it's recently developed Weapons Locating Radar (WLR) for the first time. The system is a spin-off of the Phased Array Radar technology development for the 'Rajendra' radar. Configured on a wheeled vehicle and designed to operate in a high-density fire environment, the WLR has all weather capability, high mobility and quick reaction time.

Another one of LRDE's major products is the 3D Central Acquisition Radar (CAR).It is capable of handling 150 targets in Track-While-Scan (TWS) mode and a detection range of more than 150 km at 7.5 rpm. It is designed to operate in heavy ECM environments and features extensive system BITE with independent BITE for the antenna. 3D-CAR is an integral part of the Akash air-defence system.
This is confusing :? How can 3D central acquisition RADAR be Part of Akash Missile system.Till i know akash system has only Rajendra RADAR.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
ajay_ijn said:
In view of our "Doctrine of no first use," he said that it was essential to study how synchronised action between EW systems of the Army (Samyukta), Naval EW (Sangraha) and Air Force EW (Tempest) could prevent the entry of warheads in our territory.
I don't understand how can a Electonic warfare stop warheads?
I don't think Ballistic Missiles can be jammed in the terminal Phase and i think they don't have Command guidance which can be jammed.

This is confusing :? How can 3D central acquisition RADAR be Part of Akash Missile system.Till i know akash system has only Rajendra RADAR.
It's part of a deterrent system - it's not THE deterrent system. I think the PR people messed up the wording.

ajay_ijn

India has developed a range of BattleField Electronic Systems indigenously.

Battle Field Surveillance Radar(Medium Range) Developed by BEL used to detect Tanks,Soldiers,vechiles and low flying Helicopters at a range of 40KM.

Battle Field Surveillance Radar(Short Range) is light weight man portable pulse Doppler RADAR of range 18km for detection of Soldiers,Tanks etc with Inbuilt GPS.It can Track while Scan 50 targets.
http://www.acig.org/artman/publish/article_226.shtml
The PJT-531 Battlefeild surveillance radar-Short range (BFSR-SR ) developed by LRDE in a short period of 24 months. It is a man portable, battery powered J-band surveillance and acquisition radar capable of detecting crawling men at 500 m, moving groups of people at 5 km and a group of vehicles at 10 kms. It can track 50 targets in TWS mode and presents the information on a high resolution portable color PC display. The longer range version,the X-band PIT 530 BFSR-MR, can detect a group of moving people at 18 km,low flying helicopters at 25 km, moving vehicles at 40 km and an 155 mm artillery blast at 15 km.
Low Level Air Defence Weapon Control System is a fire Control RADAR that deals with the threat Hostile ECM.Its has Bulit in ECCM and can Track while Scan 3 targets,all weather capability and has Day/Night Thermal Imaging Camera.

Tactical Control Radar is Early warning and Alerting system.It has all weather capability and range of 40km.It has Multiple target handling and Engagement Capability.

Low Flying Detection Radar ( INDRA II) of Dectection range 90km with capability to handle 200 targets.It has capability of Track while Scan for 2D tracking and also has an Integral IFF.

Source:
http://www.bel-india.com/Website/Asp/CategoryDetails.asp?CategoryId=55

In addition to this DRDO has developed Weapon Locating RADAR and Samyuktha EW system.
DRDO has Developed Maritime Patrol RADAR for Naval Version of Dhruv Helicopter. AESA RADAR is currently under development by LRDE.
http://www.acig.org/artman/publish/printer_226.shtml
Flat plate antenna for the ALH's Super vision SV-2000 maritime patrol radar. The Radar has the capability to detect and track airborne targets and sea surface targets under sea clutter at a range more than 50 nm. The system has been developed by LRDE. The lightweight planar Microstrip antenna array for ground radar applications, provides very high gain, ultra low side lobe levels over a very large bandwidth and uses a rectangular coaxial transmission network as it's feed network to provide for high power handling.
L-band T/R modules and MMIC components for LRDE's AESA radar under development
BEL has also developed Air warning RADAR's for navy,Hull Mouted SONAR's.
http://www.bel-india.com/Website/Asp/CategoryDetails.asp?CategoryId=54

In addition to this India has developed Ajanta defensive electronic warfare system for warships,Tarang Radar Warning Reciever for Fighters.
ADA developed Multimode pulse doppler RADAR ,Heads Up Display for LCA.

India also develops much of the software needed for Processor systems in the fighter planes.
Huff! the list is not ending.
This is truly a good progress by Indian defense Industries in the field of Electronic Systems for achieving the Dream of Complete Self Reliance. :india

[/quote]

Akshay

Good going India.
Truely indians are doing well in Electronic Warfare Systems.
I am new and novice one here.Can any one tell me ,

1.What is the exact use of Weapon Locating Radar ,I can just guess.
2.Which one is better AN/TPQ-37 or the one developed by India if some one can guess.
3.What is Phased Array Radar technology ?
4.What is Pulse Doppler RADAR ?
5. Can any one give short description of
a. Ajanta defensive electronic warfare system for warships
b. Tarang Radar Warning Reciever for Fighters.
c. Sonars used by ASW helicopters like how they work,depth range
6. 1.5-2 years earlier i read that India developed Mute Radar.What is it?
7. Are we working on Radars capable of detecting stealthy objects?
8.I heard China developed such Radar .Is it true?
9.I read use of Dolphins by Navy.Do we use them,for what purposes?
Thanx and waiting for reply.

ajay_ijn

First of all i want to thank admin(and Mod) for bringing back the thread.
Akshay,go to google website and type the keyword of all the things u don't know.
It will give u information more than anyone.
Weapon Locating RADAR is used to find Enenmy Artillery rounds,Rockets etc So that Commanders can direct Counter Fire Effectively.

But I doubt about its Mobility becoz it needs to deployed in FrontLine position always to use it.This becomes Difficult in the Rapid Military operations.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
ajay_ijn said:
Weapon Locating RADAR is used to find Enenmy Artillery rounds,Rockets etc So that Commanders can direct Counter Fire Effectively.

But I doubt about its Mobility becoz it needs to deployed in FrontLine position always to use it.This becomes Difficult in the Rapid Military operations.
Ajay, actually the system is mobile. The Cobra system (as the newest example) is deployed on trucks as a field unit. The are a number of other systems (some of which are still classified) which are the size of a large suitcase when packed and are thus soldier portable. (a team of two soldiers is able to set up and deploy within 5 minutes of arriving at location)

They detect the direction of the rounds and thus backtrack to the launch point - enabling the shooter to be targeted.

The Australian Army, and the US Secret Service use such a system to locate and identify snipers - that same system is also able to be used to identify other ballistics when tuned. I'm unable to provide specific details on this platform though.

If you look at a Secret Service vehicle that is part of a security detail, you'll notice that some of them have a small mast on their roof - it looks like an upside down tripod holding 3 small golf balls - that is the sensor system for a vehicle. The field mounted version uses a similar concept. Details on the system are restricted though - so you waon't find anything on the internet.

ajay_ijn

It's part of a deterrent system - it's not THE deterrent system. I think the PR people messed up the wording.
I didn't understand what u wanted u to say.
My question how can EW systems prevent Ballistic Missile from entering the country.
Nowadays Nobody uses Command Guidance system for Ballistic Missiles.
Then how can Ballistic Missiles be jammed by EW systems.

The Australian Army, and the US Secret Service use such a system to locate and identify snipers - that same system is also able to be used to identify other ballistics when tuned. I'm unable to provide specific details on this platform though.
That's interesting,detecting a sniper will be very effective while protecting VIP.
One question,how can it identify Sniper.I mean there will be no difference between a Sniper and a Normal Infantry Solider.

Even the India surveillance system PJT-531 which is man portable can track

Soldiers crawling from 500m,moving people from 5km,vehicles from 40km,heli's from 25 km,Artillery from 15km.
This will be very effective against the Enemy spies,Special Soldiers,Recon soldiers and Systems.
Not much is known about an EW system called Tempest Developed by DRDO and Already deployed by IAF.
http://www.acig.org/artman/publish/article_294.shtml
EW in the Indian Air Force
As is the nature with the Indian armed forces in general, the air force is very secretive about the use of Electronic Warfare in its ranks. The following is a tabulation based on the what little information is available.
The main RWR used is the Tranquil, an indigenous system, developed by the DRDO. It has direction finding capability and is known to have a programmalbe threat library. Tranquil is known to have been fitted on the MiG-21UPGs and a reworked and modified version will be fitted to the Su-30 MKI.
The Tempest is a jammer system capable of barrage-, continuous-wave-, and pulse-repeater jamming. It will be fitted to the MiG-21UPGs of the Indian Air Force.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
ajay_ijn said:
That's interesting,detecting a sniper will be very effective while protecting VIP.
One question,how can it identify Sniper.I mean there will be no difference between a Sniper and a Normal Infantry Solider.
It's called a Sniper Detection System, but it's not restricted to "Snipers" per se.

As I said, I'm not in a position to discuss technical details on it. But it has been used in Bosnia by the French UN troops when they had problems with Serbs.

The reason why I know of the system is because my company is involved with it. Specific details are only made available to qualified end users. It's a contract restriction and obligation we are bound by.

kashifshahzad

Banned Member
can the huge defence budget of india is doing enough advancement in the fields od the electronics warfare and other related fields :?

ajay_ijn

can the huge defence budget of india is doing enough advancement in the fields od the electronics warfare and other related fields
I did not understand exactly what u wanted to say but
Defence budget is not a big factor for India developing indigenous products.
Many other things like experience,Skill,foreign help,good organisation etc but the main factor would be encouragement and cooperation from the civilians.

Another EW system called "Sujav" which is vechile based and can Jam multiple frequencies with responsive jamming.
http://www.acig.org/artman/publish/article_419.shtml
The Sujav is a compact EW system for the V/UHF communication range, seen installed on TATA 'Sumo' 4x4 vehicles. It can perform a fast spectral search between frequencies of 30 to 1000 MHZ with 4 channel monitoring and jam on multiple frequencies with responsive jamming being used against fixed and frequency hopping sets. Jammer power output is 500 W(VHF) / 200 W(UHF) and features decoding of standard formats and direction finding with emitter location being fixed on a map. This system has been designed by the DLRL lab of DRDO, the designers of the 'Tempest' EW system.

An ECM pod named "Tusker" developed by DRDO which is a part of Tempest EW project.Its already in service and is carried by Mig-27.

ajay_ijn

An article about DRDO's Sucess in the field of Electronics.
DRDO: A stellar success
http://in.rediff.com/news/2005/jan/19spec2.htm
The Indian media's DRDO bash-fest usually keeps a laser-like focus on the alleged failures of DRDO, like the Arjun tank and the Trishul missile system.

But the reader may be surprised to know that there is a whole slew of DRDO designed and developed products that have proved to be a big hit with the armed services, in addition to saving the exchequer of many crores of rupees. Let us look at some specific examples.

When it comes to military modernisation, some of the priciest systems to modernise are radars, detection and surveillance and electronic warfare equipment. Most cutting edge technologies are simply not available in the market while the available technology is prohibitively expensive.

So how did DRDO respond to the Indian requirements in the above area?

In January 2004, the Indian Army accepted the Samyuktha electronic warfare (EW) system developed by DRDO.

Consisting of 145 vehicles with various subsystems, the Samyuktha provides the army with the ability to detect and jam enemy communications, monitor movements -- an ability that only a few select nations possess. In fact, even though the US imposed sanctions in 1998 could have impaired the Samyuktha project, DRDO scientists overcame the obstacles to develop this state of the art system.

The advanced phased-array radar associated with the Samyuktha, called the Rajendra, was also indigenously developed by DRDO. The Rajendra radar is also part of the Akash medium range surface-to-air missile system, which is currently undergoing advanced trials with the army and air force. A 3D Central Acquisition Radar (3DCAR) is also undergoing trials with users.

DRDO has also leveraged the Rajendra project to develop an advanced Weapon-Locating Radar (WLR), the likes of which would have been invaluable in a war like Kargil, where the Pakistanis had American WLRs and the Indian Army lacked a similar product.

The EW suites for the Indian Navy and the Indian Air Force, titled Sangraha and Tempest respectively, have also met with great success

For instance, the Tarang Radar Warning Receiver (RWR), a key aircraft EW component, has been successfully installed in the upgraded IAF MiG-21 fighters, the MiG-27 strike planes and the incomparable Su-30MKI air-dominance fighters. Another EW component, the Tusker Electronic Counter Measures (ECM) pod, is also in IAF service.

In fact, the IAF has been a happy DRDO customer for a long time and now routinely relies on local innovations in the fields of avionics, radar and communications.

The Su-30MKI, for instance is a cut above the similar Su-30MKK that the Russians developed for China because the former relies on cutting edge Indian components such as the Mission Computer, Display Processor, Radar Computer, Integrated communication equipment, Radar Altimeter and Programmable Signal Processors, all designed and developed by DRDO under a project titled 'Vetrivale.'

This avionics suite, built locally, costs less than 20 per cent of Western made systems, which may not even offer the same level of technology to the IAF. The Russians were so impressed by the Vetrivale avionics that they asked to incorporate some of the technology to the Su-30 variants they sold to Malaysia.

DRDO technology was also used in IAF's local upgrade efforts of the MiG-27 and Jaguar strike aircraft, saving millions of dollars in foreign exchange. The IAF has also lavishly praised and ordered DRDO developed Indra-II advanced low-level detection radar.

The IAF is widely using the indigenous multi-mission Advanced Light Helicopter (ALH), named Dhruv, developed by the Hindustan Aeronautics Limited with support from DRDO. Dhruv has won international accolades and have evoked interest from nations like Chile. It recently set a world record by flying at an altitude of 27,000 feet above mean sea level. The Indian Army and Indian Navy are also acquiring purpose-built Dhruv variants.

The biggest IAF system built by DRDO is the Light Combat Aircraft. While a detailed analysis of the LCA project is beyond the scope of this article, one can safely say that the LCA is a definite success for Indian aviation and has silenced all detractors, at least the ones who stick to facts.

The LCA has also resulted in spin-offs such as the Sitara Intermediate Jet Trainer (IJT), which was built from scratch in a record time of 22 months and has received accolades from the end user. Efforts are now underway to build an indigenous Advanced Jet Trainer (AJT) and a small indigenous Airborne Early Warning and Control System (AWACS).

The Indian Navy has even more enthusiastically embraced DRDO products.

Many navy vessels such as the Rajput class and Veer class ships use DRDO's Ajanta Electronic Support Measures (ESM) system. Under the Sangraha EW program, DRDO has completed the development of five types of EW systems. Sanket, an ESM system for patrol boats has already been ordered by the navy. An airborne EW system called KITE has also been successfully tested.

The navy is also testing submarine EW systems, all developed under the Sangraha project. Essentially, thanks to DRDO, the Indian Navy now has airborne, surface ship borne and submarine electronic warfare systems. Given the fact that Pakistan is getting advanced naval reconnaissance systems from the US under the guise of the war on terror, DRDO's work in the Naval EW area goes beyond the savings of millions of dollars.
But DRDO's Big projects always had setbacks LCA,Arjun.
It is the armed Forces which has to suffer for these delays.
Army and AF have been very angry on DRDO for delaying LCA and Arjun Tank.

Air-force already is upgrading Mig-21's thinking that LCA will be still delayed.
And army is also Upgrading T-72's while even the first batch of Arjun are not delivered.
Even IGDMP was started in 1983.
But Still Missiles like akash and Trishul are not inducted.
Forget about Astra which is till not tested from a air platform.

DRDO has spent Rs 2.6 Billion only on Trishul SAM but Still undergoing trials.
Latest news is that Trishul is sucessfully test fired.
Actually these Missiles had to be deployed in 1990's.
Atleast Agni Missiles have inducted.

The most heart Breaking is ATV another delayed project from 15 years.
Rs 20 billion have been Spent by DRDO and DAE.

Construction had to began in Mid 1990's but no strong evidence for Submarine under construction.

Pinaka MBRL,project began at 1980's,Still Undergoing trials.

What is the exact Reason for these Delays???
Will these problems Solve in the future??
Is there a Bright Future for DRDO??

VICTORA1

Hello guys,

LAPD ie los angeles police dept is using some kind of a system in real rough neighbourhoods to cut down on aerial firing during 4 th of july and other occassions.

kashifshahzad

Banned Member
:coffee I think India is getting stronger numerically but Pakistan is also trying to catch India.
As far as i think that India want to be a superpwer caz it is strengthning its all sectors.India is getting new planes, and i think india also plans to build its own planes and developing new misseile and have satellites in space..... and so on the strengthning of defence continues.
I think India wants to get china........ then you know which one

aaaditya

Attached are brochures of the SV-2000 radar developed by BEL for Naval variant of ALH.

Some background information on the radar

Quote:

India Makes Its First Naval Radar System
By VIVEK RAGHUVANSHI, NEW DELHI
subscriptions area: DefenseNews.com

Posted - 10/25/04 09:50

India has designed and developed its first airborne multi-mode airborne surveillance radar system for the Navy.

The service has ordered 10 Super-Vision 2000 Radar systems at an estimated cost of $600,000 apiece, for delivery beginning in mid-2005, said a senior executive of Bharat Electronics Ltd. (BEL), Bangalore, which will produce the system.

The state Defence Research and Development Organisation’s Electronics & Radar Development Establishment (LRDE), Bangalore, developed the Super-Vision-2000 Radar system this year.

An LRDE scientist said the Super-Vision 2000 is a lightweight and compact system developed for helicopters such as the indigenous Advanced Light Helicopter (ALH) and the Navy’s Russian Kamov helicopters, as well as aircraft like its Dornier maritime surveillance planes.

The LRDE scientist said the system design and development phase cost $2.2 million. The system comprises an antenna, transmitter, receiver, data processor and display, and weighs less than 100 kilograms. The radar can detect sea-surfacing targets like a periscope or vessel as well as sea-skimming missiles and targets in the air. The radar also can be used for navigation, weather mapping and beacon detection.

The Super-Vision 2000 will be installed in the naval version of the ALH being produced by Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd., Bangalore.

BEL plans to market the system to other militaries after it fulfills the Indian Navy’s requirements

[Admin Edit: Please read the rules:

http://www.defencetalk.com/forums/rules.php#16

The thread will be deleted without warning, if rules are violated again.
:coffee

Last edited by a moderator: