India Agrees to Join EU Satellite Navigation Plan

ajay_ijn

India said that it would soon srtike a deal on EU's multibillion dollar space navigation plan.It is being expected that india would invest some 150-200 million euros.
EU said that the system will have highest quality signals over India.

The project named Galileo is GPS system consisting of 27 satellites.

It would have wide range of applications in not only commercial but also wide range of Military applications.

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=scienceNews&storyID=6746483

When will actually this system be completed and how effective would it be compared to US GPS.
I am really want to know more about this.
It would improve the guidance capabilities of weapons.
It will really be helpful to indian military technology

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Comments?

You must include comments when you post some news article. People have been banned before for not posting their own opinion/comments along with news articles that they post. One link is enough!

redsoulja

i think it's amazing
the chinese and the indians might actually depend on the same satellite constellation: galileo
that doesn't seem likely
the isrealis, the russians, the chinese, and of course the europeans
who else is on the galileo bandwagon???

adsH

ajay_ijn said:
When will actually this system be completed and how effective would it be compared to US GPS.
It would improve the guidance capabilities of weapons.
It will really be helpful to indian military technology
you've seriously got to be joking. if your weapon delivery depends on your GPS systems, as Primary guidance you are not only risking accuracy but your definitely compromising your capability. to build an effective GPS system you need three things, Alot of cash, alot of technology and the blessing of the US. if you don't have all of them then you can't use the system effectively. the US would not allow the EU GPS system to-be ever used against there forces they will disable it if China uses it for military purposes during time of conflict. i am sure we (UK) would not rely on such a system.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Any system that is part of a war fighting process becomes a legitimate target in wartime. If the Galileo was not secured in a conflict then the US could legitimately degrade it.

As it is, Galileo only has 12.5% redundancy whereas the USAF GPS network alone has a 33% redundancy. The lower redundancy is not good for a warfighting asset, so one would assume that it's utility at a military level is not high.

omegasigma

India is investing in two projects for location services:

1. Galileo (http://athens-olympics-2004.newkerala.com/?action=fullnews&id=41479) India has pledged to invest 300 million Euros in this project. It has also signed an MOU to provide launch services for this project.
2. Glonass (http://www.spacedaily.com/news/india-04s.html) This Russian system is almost ready with 11 satellites already launched.

This investment will provide India with access to two systems other than GPS. Each system has it's strengths and weakness. The Glonass system is especially optimized for missile navigation systems.

turin

As it is, Galileo only has 12.5% redundancy whereas the USAF GPS network alone has a 33% redundancy. The lower redundancy is not good for a warfighting asset, so one would assume that it's utility at a military level is not high.
Agreed. However Galileo was simply not intended to be a military asset in the first place but a commercial network. Surely the military use was in mind of several people working (and deciding) on that project. Since the amusing fact about Galileo is that its development was not slowed down due to lack of funding but because too many countries wanted to fund too much money I'd be not surprised if the redundancy of Galileo will be increased with more money to spend on statellites. So I am pretty sure its military capability could be increased in comparably short time to come, however the military use should be restricted to european forces IMO and not extended to, lets say, China.
Although I feel that US opinion concerning Galileo was sometimes near pure arrogance and fear of a competitor their reasoning on China or any opponent using such a system against them is at least understandable.

adsH

I think this will be a continent based system, each country that is a partner would contribute financially and physically to maintian its share of the System, as far as i can remember i have always thought that the European forces would never utilize such a flimsy network which, other Non nato forces would have access to. we are talking about military dependance here. I really think the GPs coverage is adequate enough here in the UK almost every new car comes with a GPS system. i have a handheld version and i can in the worst case get 5 sats at any time. so I guess we are happy with the US system. i think the minimum requirement is any three sats to triangulate your positions.