The Future of USAF Airborne Warning & Control:

adsH

The Future of USAF Airborne Warning & Control: A Conceptual Approach
Authors: Nine, Thomas W.; AIR COMMAND AND STAFF COLL MAXWELL AFB AL

Abstract: Several conceptual approaches for next generation air surveillance and control platforms are: (1) space-based radar systems, (2) radar unmanned aerial vehicles, (3) traditional manned AWACS/JSTARS-like platforms, and (4) increased sensor capabilities on individual tactical (fighter) assets, such as internal 360 degree-coverage radars. The present focus of related literature seems to be technological advantage/cost, rather than role enhancement and system survivability as they apply to the future threat. This paper focuses on the evolving role and capabilities of the USAF airborne warning and control platform in the past, and the role and projected upgrades in capabilities of the platform in the near future (including joint and international capability comparisons). Last, it presents several next-generation conceptual platforms, and some of their core strengths and weaknesses including potential survivability problems. Based upon this discussion, the author proposes that the combination of at least two platforms, one at the strategic and the other at the operational/tactical will best ensure redundancy, survivability, and synergy to meet air surveillance and control requirements into the next century.

This seams like a good ideas if it is ever employed I am not sure how it will affect battle Feild survelance compared to the exsisitng Satlite asset today!! AWAC Killers Have been developed over the past few years i bet that has got The US Attention as a credible threat!!! so they are trying to think up of newer Ideas!! interestingly they are also thinking of the Unmaned Aerial Vehicle like the Global hawks that could extend the existing range of surveillance (I know gf you were talking about Australia thinking of UAV surveillance integration i am not sure that you were telling us that they have developed such an ability of they are going too)

http://www.stormingmedia.us/62/6237/A623793.html

I know Australia has contributed and partnered in the development of an AWAC partly funded by the US
http://www.hanscom.af.mil/Hansconian/Articles/2001Arts/11022001-01.htm

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
adsH said:

Abstract: Several conceptual approaches for next generation air surveillance and control platforms are: (1) space-based radar systems, (2) radar unmanned aerial vehicles, (3) traditional manned AWACS/JSTARS-like platforms, and (4) increased sensor capabilities on individual tactical (fighter) assets, such as internal 360 degree-coverage radars. The present focus of related literature seems to be technological advantage/cost, rather than role enhancement and system survivability as they apply to the future threat. This paper focuses on the evolving role and capabilities of the USAF airborne warning and control platform in the past, and the role and projected upgrades in capabilities of the platform in the near future (including joint and international capability comparisons). Last, it presents several next-generation conceptual platforms, and some of their core strengths and weaknesses including potential survivability problems. Based upon this discussion, the author proposes that the combination of at least two platforms, one at the strategic and the other at the operational/tactical will best ensure redundancy, survivability, and synergy to meet air surveillance and control requirements into the next century.

This seams like a good ideas if it is ever employed I am not sure how it will affect battle Feild survelance compared to the exsisitng Satlite asset today!! AWAC Killers Have been developed over the past few years i bet that has got The US Attention as a credible threat!!! so they are trying to think up of newer Ideas!! interestingly they are also thinking of the Unmaned Aerial Vehicle like the Global hawks that could extend the existing range of surveillance (I know gf you were talking about Australia thinking of UAV surveillance integration i am not sure that you were telling us that they have developed such an ability of they are going too)

I know Australia has contributed and partnered in the development of an AWAC partly funded by the US
Can't recall where I read it, but the US already has a close to 24/7 space based radar solution reducing some of the need for AWACs in given areas. IIRC they feel that they are well on the way to having a space based layer in 24/7/365/360deg coverage within 18 months.

They are already developing the next gen solution which will combine the AWACs/AEW/Compass and Rivet platforms into one airframe,

If you consider the fact that the USAF alone has saturated satellite coverage, then the issue of 360deg coverage is not a statement to take lightly.

The US also has access to EW technology under Project Dundee, I would assume that similar agreements are in place with other allied members

adsH

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
gf0012 said:
adsH said:

Can't recall where I read it, but the US already has a close to 24/7 space based radar solution reducing some of the need for AWACs in given areas. IIRC they feel that they are well on the way to having a space based layer in 24/7/365/360deg coverage within 18 months.

They are already developing the next gen solution which will combine the AWACs/AEW/Compass and Rivet platforms into one airframe,

If you consider the fact that the USAF alone has saturated satellite coverage, then the issue of 360deg coverage is not a statement to take lightly.

The US also has access to EW technology under Project Dundee, I would assume that similar agreements are in place with other allied members

Interesting so if they have Installed the systems and they Employ the EW suites there would be nothing that could ever Beat a USAF Offensive that would relay enforce one thing that has been stated time on and time on again The US has been and will remain-the Ultimate super power of our time Impressive-indeed.
Lol if they have these systems installed it could mean Air combat would change for ever they could integrate this with there remotely Piloted Combat AC on the feild Fire Missile with precisions from Space. Impressive Indeed !! they could also Control there Navy Assets with remote com links (makeing them Unmanned (as it is i have heard the US navy uses on of the most suphisticated AI system which can operate without any personal onbord (is that going to far)). i also read something about The US army was testing Remote vehicles in battle scenarios useing Sat com links!!

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The US was the first nation to conduct weapons control as part of a structured planning process in the Gulf. They were first using space managed strikes in Kuwait. I'm pretty sure that the Gulf War data is still classified, but it is higher by a significant order of magnitude for the Gulf Conflict.

They've gone to space based weapons and unit management as no enemy can compromise the control - even if one satellite was removed, there are still others involved for redundancy issues.

The view that some have that by killing the US satellites they will go blind is very very optimistic. (and somewhat wishful thinking)

The US has layered management. If you put a hole in their comms layer, there is another asset that will plug the gap.

adsH

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
gf0012 said:
The US was the first nation to conduct weapons control as part of a structured planning process in the Gulf. They were first using space managed strikes in Kuwait. I'm pretty sure that the Gulf War data is still classified, but it is higher by a significant order of magnitude for the Gulf Conflict.

They've gone to space based weapons and unit management as no enemy can compromise the control - even if one satellite was removed, there are still others involved for redundancy issues.

The view that some have that by killing the US satellites they will go blind is very very optimistic. (and somewhat wishful thinking)

The US has layered management. If you put a hole in their comms layer, there is another asset that will plug the gap.
Exactly what i thought and nothing less form a suphisticated designer. something all desingers should count in for, the ability to back up the function of something when a integral part of something (a key sub system) is lost lol!! thats how the DOD planed and developed the Internet having a redundancy of routes to transport information is what Internet relies onn thats why they called it a web incase one part of it was eliminated becasue of a nucleour atack in the Cold war ages the other nodes would operate with any disruption and data would be deliverd without interuptions!!