Deep Impact Launched And Flying Toward Date With A Comet

ajay_ijn

Deep Impact Launched And Flying Toward Date With A Comet
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/01/050112194354.htm

January 12, 2005 -- NASA's Deep Impact spacecraft began its 431 million kilometer (268 million mile) journey to comet Tempel 1 today at 1:47:08 p.m. EST.

Data received from the spacecraft indicate it has deployed and locked its solar panels, is receiving power and achieved proper orientation in space. Data also indicate the spacecraft has placed itself in a safe mode and is awaiting further commands from Earth.
Deep Impact mission managers are examining data returns from the mission.
Deep Impact is comprised of two parts, a "fly-by" spacecraft and a smaller "impactor." The impactor will be released into the comet's path for a planned collision on July 4. The crater produced by the impactor is expected to be up to the size of a football stadium and two to 14 stories deep. Ice and dust debris will be ejected from the crater, revealing the material beneath.
The fly-by spacecraft will observe the effects of the collision. NASA's Hubble, Spitzer and Chandra space telescopes, and other telescopes on Earth, will also observe the collision.
Comets are time capsules that hold clues about the formation and evolution of the Solar System. They are composed of ice, gas and dust, primitive debris from the Solar System's distant and coldest regions that formed 4.5 billion years ago.
The management of the Deep Impact launch was the responsibility of NASA's Kennedy Space Center, Fla. Deep Impact was launched from Pad 17-B at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. Delta II launch service was provided by Boeing Expendable Launch Systems, Huntington Beach, Calif. The spacecraft was built for NASA by Ball Aerospace and Technologies Corporation, Boulder, Colo. Deep Impact project management is by JPL.

Deep Impact lifts off from pad 17-B at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla., bound for Comet Tempel 1. (Credit: NASA)

Further updates on the mission will be posted to http://www.nasa.gov/deepimpact and http://deepimpact.jpl.nasa.gov/ .

I think this is the first SpaceCraft which is going to hit the comet.
I Hope NASA will find something new about the evolution of the universe.
It reminds of the movie "Deep Impact" and "Armageddon".
Will that collision have side effects on the earth or the satellites???
I will try to find more info about this Collision.
Can the spacecraft take an areial view of the Comet or is it necessary to collide.

highsea

ajay_ijn said:
Will that collision have side effects on the earth or the satellites???

Can the spacecraft take an areial view of the Comet or is it necessary to collide.
The collision will have no efect on the earth or other planetary bodies in the solar system.

The spacecraft will not impact the comet, it will launch a separate impactor. The impactor is not an explosive device, it will rely on KE only. The spacecraft will sample the ejecta and return the data to earth for analysis. I expect we will get some pretty spectacular pictures from the experiment. :cool:

Last edited: