could MIG-21 jets be converted to cruise missiles?

We7det_el_qetal

Some sources say China has converted MIG-17 into a cruise missile,

could the same be done to MIG-21?

source: sinodefence.com

The PLA Air Force (PLAAF) is experimentally converting some of its retired J-5 (MiG-17 Fresco) fighter into unmanned aerial vehicles (or more accurately cruise missiles), which can be used for suicide ground attack missions. At least one photo published by Chinese official media has confirmed the existence of such a project.

flanker271

I don't see why not....basically any thing that can fly has the potential to be converted into cruise missiles. The only problem is that some platform is much more expensive than other, ie MiG-17 vs MiG-21

We7det_el_qetal

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I chose the mig-21 because it's the cheapest super sonic jet available, I think the worl trend is towards long range super sonic cruise missiles :)

india2020

I dont see any point in converting a plane bigger than two medium sized trucked combined into a cruise missle.Wont it be easily spotted and intercepted????

We7det_el_qetal

The idea is to make it fly at super sonic speed on very low altitude and deliver a big warhead if it hits and be relatively cheap to replace.

flanker271

MiG-21 is Mach 2 capable, but flying at that speed cuts down it's range dramatically, making it inpractical to use as a cruise missile. Afterall, a cruise missile should be able to hit a target thousands of miles away right? In addition, aircraft platforms have a very large radar signiture, making it easier to detect and intercept.

We7det_el_qetal

It doesn't have to be a very long range cruise missile as long as it delivers a big payload at supersonic speed on very low altitude which makes up for some of the large radar signature, but do we have a rough estimate of the expected range?

rajupaki

the idea is not so simple but i belive that china can do it. they have the resources,tech, intelligent brains and anything which could be needed to make this concept a reality.

TRK

Looks like a good idea to me.

Well if this really happens then the name of the cruise missile will be kept ........

"FLYING COFFIN"

india2020

The point here is not whether China can do it ,it is whether the concept is feasable.And i think it is but only for short ranges.A Mig 21 is as it is a medium range fighter,and with the modifications for the cruise missile done iit'll probably come down further.And since we are modifying a system meant to do another job we may even have to compromise on the performance!!!!!!

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
india2020 said:
,it is whether the concept is feasable.And i think it is but only for short ranges.A Mig 21 is as it is a medium range fighter,and with the modifications for the cruise missile done iit'll probably come down further.And since we are modifying a system meant to do another job we may even have to compromise on the performance!!!!!!
There has been intermittent but serious suggestion that the US convert it's surplus mothballed F-16's and soon to be available F-18's to unmanned fighters.

The technology exists as there is substantial baseline development history from within their QF programs, and they could be used as cruise platforms with a weaps loadout as force multipliers.

Last edited:

adsH

Does anyone remember that the US is still working on the Remotely controlled Fighter AC, the UAV is one step towards it but to actually turn a real jet into cruise missile is Abit dim, since the Weight would require excessive fuel the Cost to build and maintain one would be higher then a light slim Low drag Aero dynamic, rather simple Cruise missile. An AC like Mig 21 would not be able to take the Sort of punishment a cruise missile is put through. In addition you can’t catapult (at high speeds) a Mig of missile rail on a weapon deck (need a runway). Neither can you store them effectively. If the Mig is the Cruise missile then the Down time would be an issue, that would be some day when military planners would be waiting to get there Fleet of cruise missile operational during conflict.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
adsH said:
Does anyone remember that the US is still working on the Remotely controlled Fighter AC, the UAV is one step towards it but to actually turn a real jet into cruise missile is Abit dim, since the Weight would require excessive fuel the Cost to build and maintain one would be higher then a light slim Low drag Aero dynamic, rather simple Cruise missile. An AC like Mig 21 would not be able to take the Sort of punishment a cruise missile is put through. In addition you can’t catapult (at high speeds) a Mig of missile rail on a weapon deck (need a runway). Neither can you store them effectively. If the Mig is the Cruise missile then the Down time would be an issue, that would be some day when military planners would be waiting to get there Fleet of cruise missile operational during conflict.
The concept is not as a replacement for a cruise missile. It's a force multiplication issue. The last FWCA I'd use would be a Mig-21 It's got lousy handling issues at take off and landing, although landing is irrelevant seeing that they are 1 way mission issues. The kinetic energy of a fueled up F-16 acting like an AShM plus load out is going to make a ship captains nightmares rather significant.

It's also an AEW&C's handlers headache as well trying to determine whether the incoming is worth sending up air or SAM's. Either way the threat has to be addressed.

I'm not following the rest of your logic.

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
In addition you can’t catapult (at high speeds) a Mig of missile rail on a weapon deck (need a runway
No runway needed. The US was able to launch the old F-84 Thunderchiefs via catapult utilizing a jetisonable rocket motor of sorts. This was wayyy back in the 60's. The original idea came from all the MAD planning done back then . The fighters could "theoretically" be mounted on the launch rack on the bed of a big truck and therefore be impervious to the first strike targeting priority given to military installations. The launch rack was postioned so that the aircraft was positioned with about a 30 degree nose up attitude. The rack itself was not very long and reminicsent of the catapults carried on battleships designed to launch seaplanes.

Raven_Wing278

making a MiG 21 in to a UAV is a bit rich....what i think is that the pilot would take off with the plane then set it on auto pilot and put in the coordinates of the target then eject...but thats just what i think...

VICTORA1

Mod edit: Path:please do not make comments that does not contribute to the topic. Also this is an international defence site. By no means we will allow you to disrespect any nation or its people. Considered yourself warned.

Last edited by a moderator:

baadal

Raven_Wing278 said:
making a MiG 21 in to a UAV is a bit rich....what i think is that the pilot would take off with the plane then set it on auto pilot and put in the coordinates of the target then eject...but thats just what i think...
And it costs too much for the purpose? An improved Lakshya might be a better solution. Or even better would be Avatar, which I believe is being designed for the same purpose.

ajay_ijn

It is a cruise missile by all means-----the pilot just needs to bail out before the impact. What do you say???:D Hey, one more for india. Gotdammit---these indians are going to beat us again one more time. Now we will have to worry some more----is it a plane or is it a cruise missile. Is it a bird or a beast.You indians---would you stop screwing with our minds
Why are u commenting on all the indians???
U must show respect to the other members too.

Before thinking about the possibility of Mig-21 into a Cruise Missile,Just think what is the need for such an Weapon.
A Mig-21 will perform better than when its is converted into cruise missile.

Technically Fighter planes can be converted into the Cruise Missile after making much of modification.
But In Military it would be worst and the most unreliable Cruise Missile??

Worlds First Cruise Missile (German V-1) nearly looks like a small unmmaned plane.
Its nick name was Flying Bomb.
If u see at the post ww2 Cruise Missiles,they too look like a small plane.

Some say that a Surface to Air Missile can be converted into cruise missiles.

Conversion is not a big problem but its cost,reliability,service,size,weight etc many other factors must be considered.

VICTORA1

Ajay,
My apologies for the light hearted fun-----but no----Mig 21 cannot be converted into a cruise missile. The design constraints limit the usage of the fighter intercepter to its present form unless as I mentioned otherwise, it could be a human flying bomb.
The bison would retire in its present form and won't have to face the indignity of becoming an inanimate object. Remember, Velociraptors don't become sacrificial lambs when they become older. They die as such. Peace.

mikier

i'm no engineer, but any fight/intercepter can be converted to a "dumb" cruise missile or drone.. the USAF is using F-4 Phantoms as target drones, and by using fighters, "wouldn't" if be possible to hang munitions to bomb multiple targets? oops, that's a Boeing promise of their UAV.

just today, i saw on a documentary that the US Navy plans to defend it's carriers from attack for airliners (post Sept 11 doctrine).. a fighter jet, carrying droptanks and antiship missiles could really extend the reach of a country trying to attack a carrier group