Communication with UAV without delay

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
How the communication of UAV can be done from ground station without any delay??
If the two are able to establish a direct communications link, without requiring the use of any relays, repeaters, etc.

In practice this means the ground station is 'local' to the UAV area of ops.

-Cheers

Pallavi

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If the two are able to establish a direct communications link, without requiring the use of any relays, repeaters, etc.

In practice this means the ground station is 'local' to the UAV area of ops.

-Cheers
Actually I have to setup a communication link between UAV and a base station that would be kept at ground. I thought about using radio module for video streaming but there'll be lag of half second. So what else is the option for video streaming with no lag??

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Actually I have to setup a communication link between UAV and a base station that would be kept at ground. I thought about using radio module for video streaming but there'll be lag of half second. So what else is the option for video streaming with no lag??
On a practical level, there really are none. The more information which needs to be relayed, the greater the time/lag and/or the greater the bandwidth required, and the greater the distance between the UAV and control operator and/or intervening terrain features, then the more links in the communications chain. All of these are going to have an impact the communications.

If you want video streaming from the UAV back to a control operator, there is going to be some lag unless the two have a direct link and even then, depending on the level of detail, the transmission will require time.

Pallavi

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
On a practical level, there really are none. The more information which needs to be relayed, the greater the time/lag and/or the greater the bandwidth required, and the greater the distance between the UAV and control operator and/or intervening terrain features, then the more links in the communications chain. All of these are going to have an impact the communications.

If you want video streaming from the UAV back to a control operator, there is going to be some lag unless the two have a direct link and even then, depending on the level of detail, the transmission will require time.
So for minimum lag which device should I prefer ??

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
So for minimum lag which device should I prefer ??
I cannot really tell you, as there are too many variables I do not know, and I admit I am not an expert in this area. I just happen to know some of the areas where issues can/do occur.

For instance, what is the application for the UAV? That will dictate what the UAV must be able to do, which will then drive all the other capability requirements.

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
How the communication of UAV can be done from ground station without any delay??
There is always some delay, how ever fractional, things are rarely ever simultaneous to all observers. I doubt your planning a UAV for operation on the moon or Mars, but still something to concider (particularly if your using sat links).

So really the question is how much of a delay is acceptable. Digital video systems often have buffers, particularly on compressed video streams, as most compression systems work not just per frame, but across multiple frames, plus some sort of buffer on the receiving end to decompress and perhaps keep for smooth video playback, digital systems often have significant delays as most digital systems prioritise quality over lag.

Analog systems for example don't tend to have these issues by their inherent design, infact analog delay systems are usually quite complicated. The simplicity means you usually compromise resolution, picture quality, but you gain in immediacy.

Many small scale UAV projects that want to use a video feed to fly a UAV often use analog for video and flight controls, and digital for telemetry.