Go Back   DefenceTalk Forum - Military & Defense Forums > Global Defense & Military > Self Defense

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

What gun do you carry?

This is a discussion on What gun do you carry? within the Self Defense forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; I use a glock 19 and 17. Here is a good article comparing the two of them Glock 17 vs ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old July 4th, 2016   #151
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
I use a glock 19 and 17. Here is a good article comparing the two of them Glock 17 vs 19
Hogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2016   #152
General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogun View Post
I use a glock 19 and 17. Here is a good article comparing the two of them Glock 17 vs 19
Gidday mate and welcome to the forum. Please note that we have a set of rules and one liners are not allowed. I would suggest that you read the rules.
Old July 6th, 2016   #153
Defense Enthusiast
Major
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogun View Post
School holidays are on, so I like to keep my Rapid Point handy in case of craft emergencies.

https://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/...e-Gun/21642560

(Sorry mods, couldn't resist)
40 deg south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2016   #154
Defense Enthusiast
Lieutenant
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 deg south View Post
School holidays are on, so I like to keep my Rapid Point handy in case of craft emergencies.

https://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/...e-Gun/21642560

(Sorry mods, couldn't resist)
Guess it depends on what I'm wearing and the event. Ideally FNP .40 unless I need an ankle rig then it's a Ruger .380.

Then there's what's in the drawers of my vehicle (Ready for Deash)

Btw. All 100% registered, licensed, and background approved
Old August 3rd, 2016   #155
Just a bloke
Major General
No Avatar
Threads:
I've decided I need a new hobby (or at least picking up an old one)and am in the process of getting back into 'production' IPSC shooting matches.

All but decided upon a Gen IV Glock 23 for my standard IPSC weapon in 0.40Cal S&W.
ADMk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2016   #156
Defense Professional / Analyst
General
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADMk2 View Post
I've decided I need a new hobby (or at least picking up an old one)and am in the process of getting back into 'production' IPSC shooting matches.

All but decided upon a Gen IV Glock 23 for my standard IPSC weapon in 0.40Cal S&W.
I hated the Glock .40cals they made club reloads unusable in my Tanfoglio XL4, used factory for comps but had to spend ages sizing reloads through the chamber and would still end up with failures to feed.

Looking at doing metal silhouette, already doing bench rest .22

Actually, how you going to get .40cal, I know its ok for metal silhouette but thought ipsc was still limited to 9mm/ .38
Volkodav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2016   #157
Super Moderator
Lieutenant General
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADMk2 View Post

Let us know how you go mate, I'm sure you've got a few hours on the old Glocks by this time... not tempted by the full size frame at all? I've always been interested in trying out .38 Super myself for competitive pistol shooting, although it would limit the possibilities a little more than the ubiquitous 9mm...
Bonza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2016   #158
Just a bloke
Major General
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkodav View Post
I hated the Glock .40cals they made club reloads unusable in my Tanfoglio XL4, used factory for comps but had to spend ages sizing reloads through the chamber and would still end up with failures to feed.

Looking at doing metal silhouette, already doing bench rest .22

Actually, how you going to get .40cal, I know its ok for metal silhouette but thought ipsc was still limited to 9mm/ .38
Nope, limited to a minimum of 9x19 calibre. 10mm 0.40all the way up to 0.45 is fine if you truly want.
Old August 3rd, 2016   #159
Just a bloke
Major General
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonza View Post
Let us know how you go mate, I'm sure you've got a few hours on the old Glocks by this time... not tempted by the full size frame at all? I've always been interested in trying out .38 Super myself for competitive pistol shooting, although it would limit the possibilities a little more than the ubiquitous 9mm...
Yeah I've put quite a few rounds downrange with Glock 22, 23 and 27 over the years.

I find the mid-sized frame fits my hand better than the full size frame and I invariably shoot better with the 23.

Ammunition is much the same prpice as 9mm and I find I shoot better probably through experience with the 0.40Cal round.
Old August 12th, 2016
moon_light
This message has been deleted by OPSSG. Reason: No one liners
Old August 12th, 2016   #160
General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by moon_light View Post
0.45 seem unnecessary powerful for self defense
Friendly reminder about one line posts. We don't like them, so please refrain from making them.
Old August 12th, 2016   #161
General
No Avatar
Threads:
I would really like a Sphinx, all 9mm x19 I think or another Tanfoglio, they com in a range of calibre but .38 Super sort of catches my imagination and would be suitable for regular target use, metal silhouette or even ipsc (if I can get fit enough)
Old September 23rd, 2016   #162
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
I think another good way of self protection is through wearing body Armour. So we are not harming anyone but will remain safe and protected till an extent.Visit the range of same onBody Armor Manufacturers Companies,Armouring Company in UAE
hardshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2016   #163
General
No Avatar
Threads:
Possession / use of body armour is offence in some countries, including Australia, therefore not an option.

It is a justifiable argument that the ready availability of high power semi automatic weapons and body armour can provide criminals and terrorists with a local overmatch compared to local law enforcement, let alone members of the public, meaning more people could be killed or injured in any incident, but in particular those in densely populated areas, such as schools, shopping centers and transportation hubs before adequately equipped first responders could respond. It has been sadly demonstrated that first responders can struggle to adequately handle a single mentally impaired person armed with a knife, even with an over match of a service pistol, taser, capsicum spray and batons, how could the average patrol officer hope to protect the public from a heavily armed, armoured and determined individual?
Old December 20th, 2016
Digster
This message has been deleted by Preceptor. Reason: One-liner
Old January 8th, 2017   #164
Defense Enthusiast
Lieutenant
No Avatar
Threads:
30 years in Victoria Police. In 1960 we were using .32 auto's, mainly Brownings, but different stations had the occasiona l Colt or Beretta. In 1966 I went to the Wireless Patrol, at that time the shock troops of Vic Police. We still had Brownings, but they had a 2" extended barrel. Whoop. We also had access to shotguns, tear gas guns and carbines, the carbines were 2nd World War vintage, and had been used by Prison Officers, and they, like the .32 Brownings issued to the Police Statiions, were well worn and loose. The only time I remember having anything to do with the tear gas guns were on the annual pistol practise day at Williamstown rifle range when they made sure you got a gutful of tear gas. They did the same thing to us in Natcho. About 1969 they came out with .357 Special Smith and Wessons, which initially were issued to the Crime Squads (Previous Wireless Patrol) and CIB Offices where I was by then. A couple of years ago they went to Smith and Wesson.40 autos, where they are today.
I never fired a handgun in the Army, closest thing to it would have been the Owen and F1. I was a marksman with the Owen at Puckapunual. (I think about 4 soldiers beside me were hitting my target. )
hairyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2017   #165
Grumpy Old Man
General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkodav View Post
Possession / use of body armour is offence in some countries, including Australia, therefore not an option
also covered under import and local reseller restrictions under firearms sub clauses.

ie you have to have a special license to sell ballistic SP gear

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"
http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
http://cofda.wordpress.com/

gf a.k.a. ROBOPIMP T5C
gf0012-aust is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: