Defending Against Hackers

gazzzwp

Do you think that the US will carry out their threat and attack the location of hackers around the world whom they suspect of trying to infiltrate important computer networks?

I think this is an excellent forum for discussing military issues :)

My2Cents

Do you think that the US will carry out their threat and attack the location of hackers around the world whom they suspect of trying to infiltrate important computer networks?
Details please.
  • Is this an official announcement from the Pentagon?
  • Or are we looking at a leak from an unnamed source?
  • Or possibly a a policy declaration from some political campaign?
How about supplying a link to the threat announcement so we can evaluate it?

gazzzwp

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Details please.
  • Is this an official announcement from the Pentagon?
  • Or are we looking at a leak from an unnamed source?
  • Or possibly a a policy declaration from some political campaign?
How about supplying a link to the threat announcement so we can evaluate it?

I'm not able to post links for some reason. It was on RT.com I think. The US taking very seriously the threat of hackers (suspected to be originating from within China if I recall).

My2Cents

I'm not able to post links for some reason. It was on RT.com I think.
They do not let you post links until you have made more posts, the exact number is somewhere in the rules, but I think it might be 50. I think it helps keep out the spammers. So just keep posting within the rules and you will have the ability in a little time. :p:

I think this is the article you are referring to Pentagon could bomb enemy hackers — RT.
The US taking very seriously the threat of hackers (suspected to be originating from within China if I recall).
RT is the Russia Today television station, which has a record of pro-Russian bias. I will not say that they are lying, just that the report is slanted for local consumption to emphasis the ‘experts’ viewing the announcement with alarm. They are almost as bad about that as the US press, except that the MSM did not choose to give much cover to this issue.

The US is just saying that they will treat cyber attacks the same as any other attack, respond as they feel appropriate, and nothing is off the table if they feel it is appropriate. Which is reasonable if uninformative, because that is what everyone, including the Russians and Chinese, will do anyway. Moreover, they are talking about destructive attacks, not infiltration and stealing information.

rocky.dt

Doubtful if USA, or anybody for that matter, can locate all hackers. This is case of technology ridiculing the establishment.