what happens to HMS Liverpool if Gadaffi falls now?

doneyl

what would typically happen to a fighting ship thats a, on its last legs and b, been there since april/march ? when it's main role is releaved by someone falling i.e gadaffi?
does any one have any idea's? other half of a serving member on the ship and well with special ops i know nothing and hear nothing.
If any one new anything it would be amazing :)

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
HMS Liverpool was and is planned to be decommissioned next year anyway. She was planned for a Persian Gulf deployment for the second half of this year, doubt that's gonna happen now. Straight to the scrapper.

doneyl

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
it's more the do you think they will bring them home sooner?
i don't know what would typically happen i suppose no one does seen as we haven't been in a war at sea for well years.

T.C.P

Aren't there any countries who want to buy the soon to be decommissioned Type-42? If only our politicians had the brains to be able to buy this combat proven warship.

swerve

Super Moderator
Trouble is that their main weapon, the Sea Dart missile system, is being retired with them. Any buyer would have to cough up the whole cost of supporting it, or pay to remove & replace it, or just accept that their new missile destroyers will actually be large gunboats with helicopters.

alexsa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Trouble is that their main weapon, the Sea Dart missile system, is being retired with them. Any buyer would have to cough up the whole cost of supporting it, or pay to remove & replace it, or just accept that their new missile destroyers will actually be large gunboats with helicopters.
A bit like the FF7 class in fact

mike1560

with the Royal Navy making major budget cut's, this ship will probably be decommished as soon as the Lybian war ends. Some other countries might be interested in it also.

riksavage

Banned Member
with the Royal Navy making major budget cut's, this ship will probably be decommished as soon as the Lybian war ends. Some other countries might be interested in it also.
Bangladesh might be interested, they would probably get it for free!

With 3 x T45's in service, and a 4th (Dragon) scheduled for hand-over to the RN in September I suspect Liverpool will be decommissioned ASAP. At the end of the day the T42's are obsolete and other than occupying space in the ocean they offer little in the way of a credible AAW vessel when compared to the T45's. The crew are probably already earmarked for other vessels.

Nice way to bow out though having fired her guns in anger to suppress a dictatorial regime.

Tugboat

Liverpool

My son is serving onboard at the mo and he is expecting to be back on Nov 7th.
Regards

what would typically happen to a fighting ship thats a, on its last legs and b, been there since april/march ? when it's main role is releaved by someone falling i.e gadaffi?
does any one have any idea's? other half of a serving member on the ship and well with special ops i know nothing and hear nothing.

T.C.P

How much would it cost to replace the sea Dart with Chinese systems, would it cost too much?

Another problem is the fact the our naval bases docks can't support huge ships, main reason we couldn't buy the Type-22s even though the UK offered us a good deal on them.

StevoJH

The Bunker Group
How much would it cost to replace the sea Dart with Chinese systems, would it cost too much?
They are 25-30 year old ships, so any cost would have to take into consideration how much service life they would have left after any conversion.

Then again, depending on how much 'shelf life' the Sea Dart inventory has left, and possibly how hard it is to refurbish them, you might not need to convert them.

Repulse

At the end of the day the T42's are obsolete and other than occupying space in the ocean they offer little in the way of a credible AAW vessel when compared to the T45's. The crew are probably already earmarked for other vessels.
They may be a useless AAW platform, but you can still stick a flag (and helicopter) on them... I think the T42 class has a couple of years left in them for the token tasks such as the Caribbean.

Having said that, I understand that the engine running and maintenance costs are particularly high.

swerve

Super Moderator
They are 25-30 year old ships, so any cost would have to take into consideration how much service life they would have left after any conversion.

Then again, depending on how much 'shelf life' the Sea Dart inventory has left, and possibly how hard it is to refurbish them, you might not need to convert them.
26-29 years old for those still in commission. The class was laid down 1968-1979, commissioned 1975-1985.

Sea Dart will be an orphan system when the RN retires it. Unlike solid fuel rockets, I think the missiles probably can't be treated as sealed rounds, guaranteed until an expiry date.

StevoJH

The Bunker Group
Sea Dart will be an orphan system when the RN retires it. Unlike solid fuel rockets, I think the missiles probably can't be treated as sealed rounds, guaranteed until an expiry date.
Was reading elsewhere that they were originally kept for 8 years, extended to 12. And the missiles are (probably well) out of production.

T.C.P

BNS Osman was already 25 years old when we bought it, but after refurbishment and major upgrades, it still is a very excellent ship today.

doneyl

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My son is serving onboard at the mo and he is expecting to be back on Nov 7th.
Regards
Hey, thanks for this reply @tugboat thanks :) thats what i was hoping for. November 7th :) it's a date i suppose. been clinging on to months and months he only just got flown out in july to replace someone else, and well got different dates thrown at him but just months not like dates. Thanks :)

STURM

If only our politicians had the brains to be able to buy this combat proven warship.
Which may not be such a bad thing. A littoral navy such as Bangladesh may not have the need for such a large ship. HMS Liverpool has received a number of upgrades and it a capable ship but is still a 29 year old ship and operating costs may be a concern for smaller navies.

bravo6man

Grave yard corner

Only 3 type 42's will remain in service, the most up to date versions. HMS York is one, I believe either Edinbrough or Manchester is another. They will remain in service until replaced by the next and final 3 type 45's.

bravo6man

proven warship

Aren't there any countries who want to buy the soon to be decommissioned Type-42? If only our politicians had the brains to be able to buy this combat proven warship.
Hi, The final improved batch of type 42's such as HMS York, are the only ones worthy of consideration. The type 42 was out of date and not a very capable warship when new! Thanks to cost cutting and political interference. They were reduced in length by 40 feet to save money, and close in weapons were deleted.

They are now well out of date, and pretty much ineffectual as a destroyer. They are also incredibly thursty thanks to it's gas on gas propulsion system.

In combat, two were sunk! one due to poor fire fighting arrangements. The other Coventry, was unable to bring her weapons to bear, and had poor self defence equipment. they type 22 or 23 is a better option.

alexsa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Hi, The final improved batch of type 42's such as HMS York, are the only ones worthy of consideration. The type 42 was out of date and not a very capable warship when new! Thanks to cost cutting and political interference. They were reduced in length by 40 feet to save money, and close in weapons were deleted.

They are now well out of date, and pretty much ineffectual as a destroyer. They are also incredibly thursty thanks to it's gas on gas propulsion system.

In combat, two were sunk! one due to poor fire fighting arrangements. The other Coventry, was unable to bring her weapons to bear, and had poor self defence equipment. they type 22 or 23 is a better option.
Yep two were sunk but Seadart perfomed within its design and did quite well. Seawolf noted some problems in it use that had not been anticpated but appeared when used in anger in a multiple target situation. Depending on which source you belive Sea Dart claimed 8 kills (one apparently friendly fire) while seawolf had 5 with one source suggesting 3 more probables. If you belive max hastings the 'claimed' kills were:

Harrier - 31
Sea Dart - 8
Sea wolf -5
Sea Cat - 6 and (if you beleive it)
Rapier -9
(30 captured or destroyed on the ground)

Coventry had shot down three aircraft immeidately before here loss. She was lost due to a combination of problems. The argentinians attched from behind Pebble island and low level (with considerable courage) limiting reaction time (this may also have saved Broadsword as the bomb that hit her did not go off) The Sea Wolf on Broadsword was unable to distingish between targets at similar ranges and failed to engage. The Broadswords A arcs were then blocked as Coventry attemted to make itself a small target.

No arguement that a lack of a CIWS was a significant short coming but Sheffield was lost due to a number of factors coming togther with more to do with reserve power than "poor fire fighting".

There were a lot of lessons learnt out of the Falklands and the RN was not as well equipped as they really should ahve been for this task due to funding cuts up until the event, however, I think your comments are spurious, not based on fact and provide no meaning contribution to the debate, particularly your last paragraph.