Go Back   DefenceTalk Forum - Military & Defense Forums > Global Defense & Military > Navy & Maritime

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces






Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence


US Navy News and updates

This is a discussion on US Navy News and updates within the Navy & Maritime forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; Originally Posted by t68 America clas are reverting back to having the well dock only two will be aviation enhanced ...


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.00 average.
Old March 25th, 2015   #1591
Defense Aficionado
Lieutenant General
StingrayOZ's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2,765
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by t68 View Post
America clas are reverting back to having the well dock only two will be aviation enhanced
But they still have two that purely aviation focused. US really is spoilt for choice when it comes to carriers.

Small - regular LHD with perhaps 6 f-35b
Medium - America class with no dock with 20 odd F-35b.
Large - CVN with 90 aircraft.
Extra large - multiple CVN and amphibs + anything a multinational force could throw in. It is possible for the USN to surge 2 or 3 CVN's in the one location.

With the F-35B being a very viable aircraft, and a huge upgrade on the harrier, its hard to think of a situation they wouldn't have something that would be well suited for the task.

IMO the america's don't replace any CVN capability, they augment and free up the CVN's. I would imagine they are an ideal partner for international missions, particularly ones where the US doesn't want or need to be lead. Or when things are just starting or winding up. Take Libya for example. France, Italy and the UK provided significant air support from nearby bases and from ships. It made little sense to draw a CVN into such a conflict, but the LHD was not really designed for that type of mission.

They don't really need more than 2 aviation focused Americas, one will be available any time they need it, for anything else they just choose between a LHD or a CVN. Spoilt for choice. a 65k t CV would encroach on CVN territory.
StingrayOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2015   #1592
Defense Enthusiast
Sergeant
No Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Manila
Posts: 246
Threads:
The Navy is reporting positive results from field testing of it‘s automated SSK hunter. ACTUV intends to be a cost-effective way of dealing with SSKs being acquired in increasing numbers by potentially hostile regimes.


The US Navy's 'ghost hunter' hit the water: Robo-boats set to track down silent enemy submarines for months at a time | Daily Mail Online

The US Navy's 'ghost hunter' hits the water: Robo-boats set to track down silent enemy submarines for months at a time

- Designed to hunt down silent and deadly diesel-electric submarines
- Robot boats will go to sea for us to three months at a time*

...In six weeks of tests along a 35-nautical mile stretch of water off of Mississippi earlier this year, testers at engineering company Leidos and DARPA put the ACTUV's systems through 100 different scenarios.*


The test boat was able to tail a target boat at 1 kilometer's distance, something military bosses say is a major step forward.

'Instead of chasing down these submarines and trying to keep track of them with expensive nuclear powered-submarines, which is the way we do it now, we want to try and build this at significantly reduced cost.*

'It will be able to transit by itself across thousands of kilometers of ocean and it can deploy for months at a time.*

'It can go out, find a diesel-electric submarine and just ping on it,' said Urban.*

More at the link.
barney41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2015   #1593
Defense Aficionado
Major General
John Fedup's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Vancouver and Toronto
Posts: 2,397
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by barney41 View Post
The Navy is reporting positive results from field testing of it‘s automated SSK hunter. ACTUV intends to be a cost-effective way of dealing with SSKs being acquired in increasing numbers by potentially hostile regimes.


The US Navy's 'ghost hunter' hit the water: Robo-boats set to track down silent enemy submarines for months at a time | Daily Mail Online

The US Navy's 'ghost hunter' hits the water: Robo-boats set to track down silent enemy submarines for months at a time

- Designed to hunt down silent and deadly diesel-electric submarines
- Robot boats will go to sea for us to three months at a time*

...In six weeks of tests along a 35-nautical mile stretch of water off of Mississippi earlier this year, testers at engineering company Leidos and DARPA put the ACTUV's systems through 100 different scenarios.*


The test boat was able to tail a target boat at 1 kilometer's distance, something military bosses say is a major step forward.

'Instead of chasing down these submarines and trying to keep track of them with expensive nuclear powered-submarines, which is the way we do it now, we want to try and build this at significantly reduced cost.*

'It will be able to transit by itself across thousands of kilometers of ocean and it can deploy for months at a time.*

'It can go out, find a diesel-electric submarine and just ping on it,' said Urban.*

More at the link.
When does this vessel get some weapons? Just pinging will require another asset to support and deal with the detected threat.
John Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2015   #1594
Super Moderator
General
swerve's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Reading, Berkshire
Posts: 6,685
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayOZ View Post
But they still have two that purely aviation focused..
They're not purely aviation focused. They carry a substantial force of marines, & equipment for them including vehicles. The largest part of her aviation component will normally be devoted to transporting those marines & their equipment ashore.
swerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2015   #1595
Defense Enthusiast
Sergeant
No Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Manila
Posts: 246
Threads:
deleted.
barney41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2015   #1596
Defense Enthusiast
Sergeant
No Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Manila
Posts: 246
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fedup View Post
When does this vessel get some weapons? Just pinging will require another asset to support and deal with the detected threat.
No talk of weapons at his time AFAIK. The intent seems to be to unnerve sub crews by stripping away their stealth, highlighting their vulnerability. Imagine having an ACTUV pinging away at you 24 x 7..LOL..may as well put back to port with their tail tucked between their legs. Maybe it would be considered too provocative to have ACTUV armed lest the quarry panic and do something rash?
I‘d expect a surface or airborne asset to be available to deliver an ASW torpedo if warranted.
barney41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2015   #1597
Defense Aficionado
Lieutenant General
No Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NSW
Posts: 2,769
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by swerve View Post
They're not purely aviation focused. They carry a substantial force of marines, & equipment for them including vehicles. The largest part of her aviation component will normally be devoted to transporting those marines & their equipment ashore.
Correct, The ship was primarily built for increased aviation to support the concept of Ship to Objective Maneuver via Vertical Envelopment as its primary means, she was designed with no well deck and has no on-board parking area for vehicles those decked which were resevered for vehicles armour and plant equipment in the WASP class has given way for expanded hanger facilty and extra fuel storage to support the USMC Aviation Combat Element.

Depending on the mission at hand the flight 0 America class will swing between a SCS and Vertical Amphiboius Assault ship
t68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2015   #1598
Defense Aficionado
Lieutenant General
StingrayOZ's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2,765
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by swerve View Post
They're not purely aviation focused. They carry a substantial force of marines, & equipment for them including vehicles. The largest part of her aviation component will normally be devoted to transporting those marines & their equipment ashore.
Well, aviation focused amphibious operations, poor choice of words. I didn't mean to imply that they were just there to push F-35bs. I would think these ships would be key for operations focusing on V-22 and future lift aircraft. I would imagine something like the QTR tiltrotor would be a challenge to operate off the regular LHD's and even the Marines Heavy Lift Replacement would no doubt present challenges. Can't imagine anything that is going to double the lift of the Ch-53e would be light on the fuel...

Which is why the USN wasn't really worried, its not replacing its CVNs.
StingrayOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2015   #1599
Defense Enthusiast
Lieutenant
Ranger25's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Si Vis Pacem. Para Bellum
Posts: 559
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by barney41 View Post
No talk of weapons at his time AFAIK. The intent seems to be to unnerve sub crews by stripping away their stealth, highlighting their vulnerability. Imagine having an ACTUV pinging away at you 24 x 7..LOL..may as well put back to port with their tail tucked between their legs. Maybe it would be considered too provocative to have ACTUV armed lest the quarry panic and do something rash?
I‘d expect a surface or airborne asset to be available to deliver an ASW torpedo if warranted.


I would think it would have Optional arms built into the design. What about self defense from Air/submarine attack. In wartime I don't see anything from stopping the "nervous" SSK crew from striking the ACTUV that's tailing it
Ranger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2015   #1600
Defense Enthusiast
Sergeant
No Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Manila
Posts: 246
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger25 View Post
I would think it would have Optional arms built into the design. What about self defense from Air/submarine attack. In wartime I don't see anything from stopping the "nervous" SSK crew from striking the ACTUV that's tailing it
KISS principle applies, at least for now. IMO avoid mission creep and accompanying bells and whistles. I look at this as a mobile networked sensor, a great force multiplier but not a surface combatant. It will be plugged real-time into the network and any hostile action against it reaps the whirlwind many time over.
barney41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2015   #1601
Defense Enthusiast
Sergeant
FormerDirtDart's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 206
Threads:
More EMALS teething problems.

Seems it's been determined that catapult acceleration forces will cause over-stressing to Super Hornet and Growler wings when wing fuel tanks are installed.

Software fix will eventually be installed to reduce acceleration forces, but there are concerns the solution it may result in a reduction launch rates.

Navy Jets With Extra Fuel Can’t Be Launched Off New U.S. Carrier - Bloomberg Politics
FormerDirtDart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2015   #1602
Defense Enthusiast
Sergeant
No Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Manila
Posts: 246
Threads:
The worry about reduced launch rates is just DOT&E' head Michael Gilmore doing what he does best, making a mountain out of a molehill. EMALS will get reprogrammed to provide a smoother launch whicb will solve the problem. There is an outstanding challenge with the Advanced Arresting Gear which use a novel,"water twister" mechanism to trap aircraft. That's being fixed at the contractor's expense.
barney41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2015   #1603
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 12
Threads:
F/A-18 H and I

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerDirtDart View Post
More EMALS teething problems.

Seems it's been determined that catapult acceleration forces will cause over-stressing to Super Hornet and Growler wings when wing fuel tanks are installed.

Software fix will eventually be installed to reduce acceleration forces, but there are concerns the solution it may result in a reduction launch rates.

Navy Jets With Extra Fuel Can’t Be Launched Off New U.S. Carrier - Bloomberg Politics
heh heh. This is the perfect reason to move forward with the F/A=18H and I variants. At least the integral fuel tanks and new engines. =) Watch it happen. I will not be disappointed.
NeoIsolationist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2015   #1604
Defense Enthusiast
Lieutenant
Ranger25's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Si Vis Pacem. Para Bellum
Posts: 559
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoIsolationist View Post
heh heh. This is the perfect reason to move forward with the F/A=18H and I variants. At least the integral fuel tanks and new engines. =) Watch it happen. I will not be disappointed.
Great point,

Bring on the FA18ASH
Ranger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2015   #1605
Defense Enthusiast
Lieutenant
Ranger25's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Si Vis Pacem. Para Bellum
Posts: 559
Threads:
Navy to initially partner with USAF on next Gen aircraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger25 View Post
Great point,

Bring on the FA18ASH


Navy and Air Force Planning Joint Exploration of Next Generation Fighter Follow Ons to F-22 and F/A-18E/F - USNI News
Ranger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:59 AM.