Turkish Navy news and updates.

[TR]AHMET

NAVAL FORCES COMMAND

Total Personnel (Including Coast Guard): 55.000
Reserves: 55.000

Structure:
Naval Forces Command HQs and 4 sub commands: Turkish Fleet Command, Northern Sea Area Command (Black Sea and Sea of Marmara), Southern Sea Area Command (Aegean and Mediterranean), Naval Training Command.

FRIGATES , FAST ATTACK MISSILE CRAFTS AND SUBMARINES

FRIGATES

TYPE-NUMBER-REMARKS

Gabya (G) Class (Oliver Hazard Perry) - 8 - 136 Meter/4.100 Ton, Harpoon SSM, Standard Missile 1 (SM-1) SAM

Tepe Class (Knox) - 4 - 134 Meter/4.260 Ton, Harpoon SSM, Sea Sparrow SAM, ASROC

Barbaros Class (MEKO200-IIA) - 2 - 118 Meter/3.380 Ton, Harpoon SSM, Sea Sparrow SAM

Salihreis Class (MEKO200-IIB) - 2 - 118 Meter/3.380 Ton, Harpoon SSM, Sea Sparrow SAM

Yavuz Class (MEKO200-I) - 4 - 116 Meter/2.919 Ton, Harpoon SSM, Sea Sparrow SAM

TOTAL: 20

Note: Phalanx or Sea Zenith air defence systems are available in all frigates.

CORVETTES

Aviso A69 (D'Estienne D'Orves) or B Class - 6 - 80 Meter/1.250 Ton, Exocet SSM. Anti-Submarine Corvettes.

TOTAL: 6

FAST ATTACK MISSILE CRAFTS

TYPE-NUMBER-REMARKS

KILIC Class Type TPB57 052B - 3 - Harpoon SSM

YILDIZ Class Type FPB 57 - 2 - Harpoon SSM

DOGAN Class Type FPB 57 - 8 - Harpoon SSM. Fire control, command control, communications and power systems upgraded

KARTAL Class Type S141 - 8 - Penguin Mk2 SSM

KILIC II Class - 0 - 1 under delivery, 2 under construction, 1 ordered

TOTAL: 21

SUBMARINES

TYPE-NUMBER-REMARKS

GUR Class Type 209T2/1400 - 1 - 1 under construction + 2 more ordered. All being built in Turkey. Harpoon SSM.

PREVEZE Class Type 209T1/1400 - 4 - Built in Turkey. Harpoon SSM.

ATILAY Class Type 209/1200 - 6 - 3 of them built in Turkey. Possible upgrade for the 4 most recently built subs.

TANG Class - 1 - To be retired

TOTAL: 12

AMPHIBIOUS FORCES

TYPE-NUMBER-REMARKS

Ertugrul Class LST - 2 - 400 Personnel/18 Tanks

Osman Gazi Class LST - 1 - 980 Personnel/17 Tanks

Bayraktark Class LST - 2 - 200 Personnel/16 Tanks

Sarucabey Class LST - 2 - 600 Personnel/11 Tanks

Cakabey Class LST - 1 - 400 Personnel/9 Tanks

EDIC Class LCT - 27 - 140 Personnel/6 Tanks

C 302 Class LCM - 19 - 100 Personnel/5 Tanks

Patrol Crafts

TYPE-NUMBER-REMARKS

AB Class Patrol Vessel - 10 - Produced in Turkey, armed with Bofors and Oerlikon guns

SG80 Class Patrol Vessel - 12 - Produced in Turkey, in service with the Coast Guard

KW15 Class Coastal Patrol Vessel - 8 - Produced in Turkey, in service with the Coast Guard

SG1 Class Coastal Patrol Vessel - 1 - Produced in Turkey, in service with the Coast Guard

SG Class Coastal Patrol Vessel - 12 - Produced in Turkey, in service with the Coast Guard

MRTP15 Class Interceptor Craft - 17 - Produced in Turkey, in service with the Coast Guard

Kaan29 Class Large Patrol Craft - 5 - Produced in Turkey, in service with the Coast Guard

SAR33 Class Patrol Vessel - 10 - Produced in Turkey, in service with the Coast Guard

SAR35 Class Patrol Vessel - 4 - Produced in Turkey, in service with the Coast Guard

SG21 Class Large Patrol Vessel - 14 - Produced in Turkey, in service with the Coast Guard

TOTAL: 93

Mine Warfare Ships

TYPE-NUMBER-REMARKS

Edincik Class - 5 - Transfered from French Navy after a complete overhaul and modernization
S Class - 9 - Old vessels from 60s and 70s
F Class - 4 - Old vessels from 60s
K Class - 3 - Old vessels from 60s and 70s
MHV-45-014 Class - 0 - 1 under delivery, 5 more ordered. Germany was awarded with the contract worth 630 million USD, of building 6 new MCMV ships. First ship will be built in Germany, the rest in Turkey. The contract was signed on 30 July 1999. The project is to be completed by 2007.

TOTAL: 21

NAVAL AVIATION AND MISSILES

Maritime Patrol Aircraft / Anti-Submarine Warfare / Search and Rescue Helicopters (Including the Coast Guard)

TYPE-NUMBER-REMARKS

CN-235-100M - 9 - 6 MPA+3MSA Coast Guard. Project Meltem I
Socata TB20 - 7
C-295 - 0 - Candidate for the 10 aircrafts to be selected for Project Meltem III
S-70B-28D Seahawk - 7 - 8 more ordered + 1 optional
AB-212E - 2 - Electronic Warfare
AB-212N1 - 3
AB-212N3 - 7
AB-206B - 3
AB-204N - 1
AB-412EP - 9 - All Coast Guard SAR
A109K-II - 1 - Coast Guard SAR
CH-60S Knight Hawk - 0 - 6 ordered

TOTAL: 16 Coast Guard Planes + 21 Naval Warfare Copters + 2 Electronic Warfare Copters + 10 Coast Guard SAR Copters

On-board Missile Systems

TYPE-NUMBER-REMARKS

RGM84 Harpoon Block 1C SSM - ? - 130 km

UGM84 Harpoon Block 1G (Sub-launched version) - ? - 130 km

Popeye III Turbo Sub-launched Land Attack CASOM - 0 - 350+ km. Secret agreement with Israel. First party of missiles are expected to be delivered in 2008.

Exocet MM38 SSM - ? - 65 km

Penguin Mk2 Mod1 SSM - ? - 27 km

Penguin 2 Mod 7 AGM - 26 - 32km

HellFire II-M3 AGM - 84 - 8 km. To be used with the Sea Hawk helicopters

Sea Skua AGM - ? - 15 km

RIM7 Sea Sparrow SAM - ? - 15 km

SM 1MR Standard Missile SAM - ? - 46 km

BORA D SAM (1X4 FIM-92B/C Stinger) - 1 - pre-production model. Under development. Stinger mounted on naval platforms. Planned for fast attack missile crafts.

[TR]AHMET

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Future Projects

NAVAL FORCES COMMAND

PROJECT MELTEM: Meltem 2: integration of hi-tech avionics and reconnaissance/surveillance equipment to 9 CN-235 aircraft which were locally produced under Meltem 1 project plus 10 additional aircraft which will be locally produced under Meltem 3 project. Status: Contract signed in 2003 with the French company, Thales. On track.

Meltem 3: Production of additional aircraft (most probably C-295) for naval reconnaissance/surveillance roles. Status: Replies to the request for proposals received from two companies, the aircraft type will be selected in early-2004.

PROJECT LONG HORIZON: Establishment of a large-scale sea-air-land radar, radar-ESM and communications network for the purpose of detecting and identifying the surface vessels on the Aegean Sea by providing a real-time coverage. Status: Contract signed with delay on 30 July 2003. Expected completion date for the project is late-2006.
PROJECT MILGEM: Acquisition of 8 (+4 optional) anti-submarine warfare (ASW) and patrol corvettes. Status: Suspended.

PROJECT TF-2000: Local production of 6 TF-2000 anti-air warfare (AAW) and command and control frigates. Status: Suspended due to financial problems.

4 KILIC II Class Fast Attack Missile Crafts: Status: On track.

8 or 9 S-70B Sea Hawk helicopters: Status: On track.

Popeye III Turbo Sub-launched Land Attack CASOM: Status: First party of missiles are expected to be delivered in 2008.

BORA D SAM (1X8 FIM-92B/C Stinger): Stinger mounted on naval platforms. Planned for Fast Attack Missile Crafts. Status: Under development.

[TR]AHMET

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Re: TuRkish Navy

PICTURES of the sinking of D-358 TCG BERK by torpedo.

Gif animation

Very Nice :eek

Skywalker

Turkish Navy presented a Test Video of planned MILGEM Corvettes.

http://www.dzkk.tsk.mil.tr/turkce/Modernizasyon/Milgem_Video.wmv

and a picture ...
http://www.dzkk.tsk.mil.tr/turkce/Modernizasyon/MILGEM.GIF

More Informations about MILGEM

The name of the Turkish Navy’s latest shipbuilding program is “MİLGEM†which foresees building of 12 Offshore Patrol Vessels (OPV). The project name “MİLGEM†(Milli Gemi - National Ship), summarizing the main goal of the project, means that this shipbuilding project will be realized through the maximum use of national means. .

Local production of ships’ systems, with technology and know-how transfer for maximum national contribution, is ultimate aim of the project. The total national contribution to MİLGEM Programme is expected to be around 80 percent.

MİLGEM program rose from the need to replace the existing patrol ships that are getting close to the end of their economical operation lives. The program was commenced officially in January 1996. Ships to be constructed within the scope of this program will be designed to meet the requirements of a complex combat system that integrates all weapon and sensor systems within a centralized command and control system. The ships will operate either as a single unit or in coordinated operations with other naval forces and will be capable of,

• Patrol in littoral waters
  • Search and rescue
  • Anti submarine warfare patrol
  • Pursuit and prevention of the terrorist activities in the sea
  • Protection of the coastal transportation.
The design of the ships will be developed from a proven hull form and will have notable sea keeping performance characteristics. Reduced detectability and enhanced survivability of the ships are the key operational requirements. The ships will have notable stealth characteristics with low radar cross-section, acoustic signature and underwater noise.

Evaluating the experience gained through shipbuilding projects, it has been concluded that if the Navy’s current expertise in military shipbuilding is combined with existing capabilities of the private shipyards together with the universities and related supporting industries, a shipbuilding project of the size and complexity of an OPV can be accomplished. The design and the construction of the first ship will be completed at İstanbul Naval Shipyard. Construction of the following ships will be continued at local private shipyards.

The design of the first MİLGEM ship was commenced in 2004. It is planned to have her in service in 2010.
http://www.dzkk.tsk.mil.tr/English/Modernizasyon.asp

Skywalker

Turkey To Buy Up to 17 Helicopters from Sikorsky
By AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE, ANKARA

Turkey has decided to buy up to 17 Seahawk helicopters for its navy from U.S. manufacturer Sikorsky Aircraft, Defense Minister Vecdi Gonul said.

The deal involves the initial purchase of 12 Seahawks with an option for five more, Gonul told journalists late June 22, Anatolia news agency reported.

He did not disclose the financial terms of the deal.

The Turkish armed forces already have eight S-70B Seahawk helicopters.

http://www.defencetalk.com/news/publish/article_002590.shtml

Last edited by a moderator:
Turkey Issues RFP for Acquisition of New Type Submarine

The Request for Proposal for acquisition of six new type submarines.....
defencetalk

I would think HDW type 214 is the favorite for the Turkish Navy new SSK since they already operate type 209. Any chance of the Collins-class being selected?

Last edited:

contedicavour

defencetalk

I would think HDW type 214 is the favorite for the Turkish Navy new SSK since they already operate type 209. Any chance of the Collins-class being selected?
The Collins is a big oceangoing sub which is oversized and too expensive for brown water operations in the Aegean or in the Black Sea.
There are only 2 potential candidates with one outsider : DCN's Scorpene or Marlin, HDW U214 and the outsider Lada/Amur. Since local production is requested, and since so far only German subs have been built, I'd bet 10:1 that HDW will win the deal. However there will be tight clauses against delays or technical problems...

cheers

The Collins is a big oceangoing sub which is oversized and too expensive for brown water operations in the Aegean or in the Black Sea.
There are only 2 potential candidates with one outsider : DCN's Scorpene or Marlin, HDW U214 and the outsider Lada/Amur. Since local production is requested, and since so far only German subs have been built, I'd bet 10:1 that HDW will win the deal. However there will be tight clauses against delays or technical problems...

cheers
I don't think DCN has a shot due politcal reasons.

j4ck4l11

thanks ahmet all of ur nice working abaut navy and it s equipmants i would help u abaut navy but i counldnt ve time for internet with hope u ll show our real face on the military

Gerasimos

Nice work happening in your navy.I believe the only disadvantage is the frigates .All of Knox class were launched in 1971,1972 so there are ships 35 years old(with steam engines!).If they are retired the actual number of frigates is reduced to 16.Also the A69 corvettes were launched between 1973 and 1977,so approximately 30 years old ships(They don't even have modern SAM system,correct me if I make a mistake).So my point is that the Turkish navy has actually 16 frigates and 2 "seas" to divide this number.It is dificult because Turkish navy must have 14 frigates in Aegean because we (Greece)have 14 frigates.So only 2 frigates remain to guard the Black sea.And if some frigates are decided to guard the southern sea of Turkey I mean between Cyprus,Syria etc the actual number of frigates in Aegean is further reduced.

Last edited:

contedicavour

Nice work happening in your navy.I believe the only disadvantage is the frigates .All of Knox class were launched in 1971,1972 so there are ships 35 years old(with steam engines!).If they are retired the actual number of frigates is reduced to 16.Also the A69 corvettes were launched between 1973 and 1977,so approximately 30 years old ships(They don't even have modern SAM system,correct me if I make a mistake).So my point is that the Turkish navy has actually 16 frigates and 2 "seas" to divide this number.It is dificult because Turkish navy must have 14 frigates in Aegean because we (Greece)have 14 frigates.So only 2 frigates remain to guard the Black sea.And if some frigates are decided to guard the southern sea of Turkey I mean between Cyprus,Syria etc the actual number of frigates in Aegean is further reduced.
Good point. Whenever there's enough budget, it may make more sense to build a class of 8+ FFGs instead of 4 AAW FFGs which would actually be DDGs. I think though that the plans are on hold also because the Turkish admirals are waiting to see what the national defence industry can do by itself with the MILGEM project.

cheers

BilalK

Excellent stuff Ahmet!

I admire the MILGEM corvette project because it is an excellent symbol for Turkey's strong defence industry. IMO it will be on par with most W.European corvettes in the 2000 ton range.

I think 2007 will be a lucrative year for HDW, their U-214 looks like a good export product. On top of Turkey's tender for six SSKs, Pakistan has a requirement for three.

Gerasimos

Excellent stuff Ahmet!

I admire the MILGEM corvette project because it is an excellent symbol for Turkey's strong defence industry. IMO it will be on par with most W.European corvettes in the 2000 ton range.

I think 2007 will be a lucrative year for HDW, their U-214 looks like a good export product. On top of Turkey's tender for six SSKs, Pakistan has a requirement for three.
MILGEM seems to be a good project although I believe that if the first ship is going to be commisioned in 2010 the RAM it carries(7.5km range) will be out of date.Also their cost is 200 million $ each,the MEKO 200 frigates shouldn't cost more than 300-400 million $,so why not MEKO and even more if these corvettes will have a coastal defense role why not a FACM our Roussen class for example cost 92 million each and were built here in Greece.So with 1.6 billion $(cost of 8 Milgem) you could buy 4-5 MEKO or 16 FACMs

BilalK

MILGEM seems to be a good project although I believe that if the first ship is going to be commisioned in 2010 the RAM it carries(7.5km range) will be out of date.Also their cost is 200 million $ each,the MEKO 200 frigates shouldn't cost more than 300-400 million $,so why not MEKO and even more if these corvettes will have a coastal defense role why not a FACM our Roussen class for example cost 92 million each and were built here in Greece.So with 1.6 billion $(cost of 8 Milgem) you could buy 4-5 MEKO or 16 FACMs
I agree, but does the MIGLEM really cost $200 per ship? I thought most corvettes in the 1500 to 2000 ton range cost $100-150mn per ship?

orko_8

I agree, but does the MIGLEM really cost $200 per ship? I thought most corvettes in the 1500 to 2000 ton range cost $100-150mn per ship?
200 million $ is expected to be the cost of the first ship TCG Heybeliada. She is the first of the class and hence a prototype platform, to undergo extensive testing process for about 3 years. Unit price is expected to decrease substantially in the forthcoming ships, especially when +4 option ships are realized.

Gerasimos

200 million $ is expected to be the cost of the first ship TCG Heybeliada. She is the first of the class and hence a prototype platform, to undergo extensive testing process for about 3 years. Unit price is expected to decrease substantially in the forthcoming ships, especially when +4 option ships are realized.

I heard that the total cost of the program is 1.6 billion $,so if you divide it with 8,you'll get 200 million $ per ship.Also it's not sure that the option ships will be MILGMEM,there is the possibility to be MEKO-100 ship.My question was why spending so much for corvettes and not buying figates that are needed more?,or much more FACMs?

orko_8

I heard that the total cost of the program is 1.6 billion $,so if you divide it with 8,you'll get 200 million $ per ship.Also it's not sure that the option ships will be MILGMEM,there is the possibility to be MEKO-100 ship.My question was why spending so much for corvettes and not buying figates that are needed more?,or much more FACMs?
MEKO A-100 is absolutely out of question for economic, technical and bureucratic reasons. B&V pressed hard for A-100 during late 1990's but its offers were repeatedly refused.

+4 option will most possibly realized but configuration changes are being thought, such as installation of Mk56 or Mk48 VLS launchers.

The era of FACM's are about to end. Current design trends and requirements dictate bigger platforms between the scala of frigate and FACM, with enough habitability for her personnel to operate longer, further, and with adequate armament for ASW/ASuW.

The cost of the MilGem project was not stated officially but it is estimated between 1.2 and 1.4 billion dollars, most of which o to R&D projects such as hull mounted sonar, ship combat control system, radar, EO system, 76mm gun fire control system etc. Even unit price is 200 mil. dollars, compare it with other corvette projects, or just with cancelled corvette project of Hellenic Navy (approx. 400 million $ was planned for the first ship)

Last edited:

Gerasimos

MEKO A-100 is absolutely out of question for economic, technical and bureucratic reasons. B&V pressed hard for A-100 during late 1990's but its offers were repeatedly refused.

+4 option will most possibly realized but configuration changes are being thought, such as installation of Mk56 or Mk48 VLS launchers.

The era of FACM's are about to end. Current design trends and requirements dictate bigger platforms between the scala of frigate and FACM, with enough habitability for her personnel to operate longer, further, and with adequate armament for ASW/ASuW.

The cost of the MilGem project was not stated officially but it is estimated between 1.2 and 1.4 billion dollars, most of which o to R&D projects such as hull mounted sonar, ship combat control system, radar, EO system, 76mm gun fire control system etc. Even unit price is 200 mil. dollars, compare it with other corvette projects, or just with cancelled corvette project of Hellenic Navy (if I'm not mistaken, unit price was estimated around 300 million dollars without armament at the time of cancellation)
For the MILGEM cost,I searched through Google and found that it's 1.6 billion for the 8 ships.As far as the FACMs are concerned, in Greece with biggest coastline in Europe they are need for coastal defence.The Visby corvette costs between 100-184 millions,there are other examples too.You should also check "The Global corvette"(US).I think that it might cost less than 200millions,a total new program.