STOBAR Aircraft Carriers

BigJan

Does any one have a picture of a loaded plane (weapons on the hard points) take off of a STOBAR aircraft carrier? I've never seen one or seen an good info on how much a plane be it Su-33, Mig 29K or Su-25UTG can carry with when flying off a carrier.

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does any one have a picture of a loaded plane (weapons on the hard points) take off of a STOBAR aircraft carrier? I've never seen one or seen an good info on how much a plane be it Su-33, Mig 29K or Su-25UTG can carry with when flying off a carrier.
Here's a video of an SU-33 doing taking off with what looks like a useful load of AAMs - up to you how much faith you put in a video like that with regards to fuel load, etc. The SU-33 has always struck me as very, very large for ski-jump carriers, but I don't know a great deal about it.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3Dmhzu0mMg"]Full Takeoff Sukhoi Su 33 Flanker-D - YouTube[/nomedia]

PO2GRV

looks as if the weapons could be mockups or dummy trainers? at 0:08 in the video you see its wings are already in the foldandstow position with the weapons still on the hardpoints which I'm not sure would be a SOP with live weapons

to be fair though even if the weapons are inert they could still be the same weight as live arms

colay

How close to an aircraft's MTOW is possible using a ski jump? My understanding is that the Su-33 and MiG-29 are basically restricted to providing CAP for the fleet as they are limited in terms of the fuel and ordnance they can take off with.

BigJan

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
How close to an aircraft's MTOW is possible using a ski jump? My understanding is that the Su-33 and MiG-29 are basically restricted to providing CAP for the fleet as they are limited in terms of the fuel and ordnance they can take off with.
That's what I was wondering because I've never seen any Su-33 flighing off the Kuzens (I can't spell its name, the Russian carrier) with anything more than a pair of achers or almos missles. Has any one seen other stuff flown by an Su-33 off a carrier?

PO2GRV

That's what I was wondering because I've never seen any Su-33 flighing off the Kuzens (I can't spell its name, the Russian carrier) with anything more than a pair of achers or almos missles. Has any one seen other stuff flown by an Su-33 off a carrier?
Kuznetsov

wiki reads it also carries SU25s as trainers.

endurance wouldn't be as much of an issue if there were aircraft aboard that could "buddy refuel" but even then, that limits the MTOW of that aircraft I would imagine

edit: you can go to this old thread for more information http://www.defencetalk.com/forums/navy-maritime/new-kuznetsov-10177/