Go Back   DefenceTalk Forum - Military & Defense Forums > Global Defense & Military > Navy & Maritime

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces






Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence


Russian Navy Discussions and Updates

This is a discussion on Russian Navy Discussions and Updates within the Navy & Maritime forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; Originally Posted by Ranger25 Makes sense for sure, given the economic conditions I don't see any larger projects happening soon. ...


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.40 average.
Old August 15th, 2015   #931
Super Moderator
General
Feanor's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Under your bed. No seriously, take a look.
Posts: 15,014
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger25 View Post
Makes sense for sure, given the economic conditions I don't see any larger projects happening soon.
Honestly I don't think it make sense. I think they should go ahead with the series of 6 11711s. They can replace and augment the existing and rapidly aging BDK fleet. Meanwhile they should work on a realistic LHD project instead of the inadequate Rotterdam-style Priboy. And of course the Lavina project from Krylov is sheer fantasy. Instead of trying to have everything and right away, they should use the Mistral-tech to build a Russian equivalent, possibly using a lot of the same systems. It would take them well past 2020 to get the first ship into service, but it would be a worthwhile vessel. And they wouldn't have a shortage in the meantime.
Feanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2015   #932
Defense Enthusiast
Lieutenant
Ranger25's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Si Vis Pacem. Para Bellum
Posts: 559
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
Honestly I don't think it make sense. I think they should go ahead with the series of 6 11711s. They can replace and augment the existing and rapidly aging BDK fleet. Meanwhile they should work on a realistic LHD project instead of the inadequate Rotterdam-style Priboy. And of course the Lavina project from Krylov is sheer fantasy. Instead of trying to have everything and right away, they should use the Mistral-tech to build a Russian equivalent, possibly using a lot of the same systems. It would take them well past 2020 to get the first ship into service, but it would be a worthwhile vessel. And they wouldn't have a shortage in the meantime.
It sounds as though they're having trouble simply getting the Gren Class built with a realistic schedule. Will be entertaining to see if the Lavina or Priboy enter or complete production
Ranger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2015   #933
Super Moderator
General
Feanor's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Under your bed. No seriously, take a look.
Posts: 15,014
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger25 View Post
It sounds as though they're having trouble simply getting the Gren Class built with a realistic schedule. Will be entertaining to see if the Lavina or Priboy enter or complete production
The problem was that the MoD kept changing their requirements for the type. The shipyard can produce the 11711s at a reasonable pace without many difficulties. Given the shortage of vessels I think they would be a cheap and timely stop-gap while they iron out and develop a real LHD.
Feanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2015   #934
Defense Enthusiast
Lieutenant
Ranger25's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Si Vis Pacem. Para Bellum
Posts: 559
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
The problem was that the MoD kept changing their requirements for the type. The shipyard can produce the 11711s at a reasonable pace without many difficulties. Given the shortage of vessels I think they would be a cheap and timely stop-gap while they iron out and develop a real LHD.
Agreed. And the 11711s seem to have decent capacity especially for regional duties. Observing the current geopoliticsl situation with Putin and the West they can apparently deploy overland to most potential hot spots.
Ranger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2015   #935
Defense Enthusiast
Lieutenant
Ranger25's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Si Vis Pacem. Para Bellum
Posts: 559
Threads:
Admiral Kuznetsov out of dry dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger25 View Post
Agreed. And the 11711s seem to have decent capacity especially for regional duties. Observing the current geopoliticsl situation with Putin and the West they can apparently deploy overland to most potential hot spots.


Admiral Kuznetsov returns from dry dock - IHS Jane's 360
Ranger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2015   #936
Defense Aficionado
Major General
John Fedup's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Vancouver and Toronto
Posts: 2,397
Threads:
Is the Russian Lider nuclear destroyer a serious proposal or just fantasy? If looks equated with capability it would an awesome addition to any naval fleet.
John Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2015   #937
Super Moderator
General
Feanor's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Under your bed. No seriously, take a look.
Posts: 15,014
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fedup View Post
Is the Russian Lider nuclear destroyer a serious proposal or just fantasy? If looks equated with capability it would an awesome addition to any naval fleet.
Somewhere between fantasy and reality. I'd classify it as lunacy, personally.

But yes, they really intend to build them. Finances and technology permitting.
Feanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2015   #938
Super Moderator
General
Feanor's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Under your bed. No seriously, take a look.
Posts: 15,014
Threads:
Some news.

So it looks like the Marshal Ustinov project 1164 cruiser will be in upgrade for longer, and will receive new missiles. What exactly it will get is unclear, but my money is on the Kalibr system, though it's possible new SAMs are also planned, or possibly exclusively planned.

ТАСС: А€мия и žŸš - š€ейсе€ "œа€ˆал Ус‚инов" полƒ‡и‚ нов‹й €аке‚н‹й комплекс и ве€не‚ся в с‚€ой в 2016 годƒ

Also a new hovercraft landing ship is being developed by Almaz, based on the current Zubr. However it has yet to secure an MoD contract. Let's not forget the factory that produces the Zubr is in Crimea, and needs orders.

š€ƒпнейˆий в ми€е мал‹й десан‚н‹й ко€аблŒ - ‘е€лога ‘€онемедведа

Finally, the Northern and Pacific fleets are getting the Bastion complex, and it looks like mass production of it will begin, with 4 btlns per year planned.

?????????-????????? ??????? ????????

EDIT: It's confirmed the Admiral Nakhimov heavy cruiser is getting the Kalibr as well. It's getting 80 launch tubes that can carry the Kalibr, the Oniks, or the Tsirkon (a new presumably hypersonic AShM). But it doesn't seem to be getting a new SAM, as they're installing the old Fort launchers back on it.

This will make it the biggest Kalibr cruise missile carrier in the VMF, with 80 missiles. The entire volley recently fired at targets in Syria had 26 missiles, and it took 4 ships. The entire cruise missile arsenal of the Caspian flotilla was in play (they can carry a max of 32). This ship, when completed, by itself will carry three volleys that size, and then some. It's also the first time the VMF will have cruise missile capability of this scope and scale against shore targets.

http://alexeyvvo.livejournal.com/149487.html
http://alexeyvvo.livejournal.com/148698.html

Last edited by Feanor; October 26th, 2015 at 02:18 AM.
Feanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2015   #939
Banned Member
Private
No Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Austria
Posts: 20
Threads:
Russian Navy Comissioned New Submarine

The Krasnodar newest diesel-electric 636.6 project submarine was put in service of the Russian Navy. St Andrew’s Flag has been flown over the submarine by the order of Russian Navy Commander-in-Chief Admiral Victor Chirkov.
corporalclegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2015   #940
Banned Member
Private
No Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Austria
Posts: 20
Threads:
Russia to Equip Subs with Anti-Torpedoes

Diesel electric submarines being built for the Russian Navy are planned to be equipped with anti-torpedoes, reports FlotProm referring to Alexander Buzakov, director general of the Admiralteyskie Verfi shipyard.

Russia to Equip Subs with Anti-Torpedoes
corporalclegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2015   #941
Defense Enthusiast
Corporal
Rimasta's Avatar
Join Date: May 2010
Location: California
Posts: 169
Threads:
Russia news leaked-probably on purpose-details of a nuclear tipped submarine launched torpedo. The Toroedo is called the "Status-6". It seems this will likely provoke the US to strengthen its nuclear posture. Some are already saying the US Navy should deploy nuclear tipped tomahawks or TLAM-N's back on US Navy vessels.

Russia has said it planned countermeasures to the US-NATO missile defenses but nuclear torpedos seem like they only guarantee US commitment to missile defense, and upgrading its nuclear Triad. Perhaps it'll pave the way to a new arms control agreement, although it doesn't seem like that's where the wind is blowing.

Russia reveals giant nuclear torpedo in state TV 'leak' - BBC News
Rimasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2015   #942
Super Moderator
General
Feanor's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Under your bed. No seriously, take a look.
Posts: 15,014
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimasta View Post
Russia news leaked-probably on purpose-details of a nuclear tipped submarine launched torpedo. The Toroedo is called the "Status-6". It seems this will likely provoke the US to strengthen its nuclear posture. Some are already saying the US Navy should deploy nuclear tipped tomahawks or TLAM-N's back on US Navy vessels.

Russia has said it planned countermeasures to the US-NATO missile defenses but nuclear torpedos seem like they only guarantee US commitment to missile defense, and upgrading its nuclear Triad. Perhaps it'll pave the way to a new arms control agreement, although it doesn't seem like that's where the wind is blowing.

Russia reveals giant nuclear torpedo in state TV 'leak' - BBC News
Status-6 is something different entirely. It's an unmanned submersile, not just a torpedo, with a nuclear weapon. It's use is not tactical, it's supposedly a megaton-class warhead for destroying coastal areas. The unmanned submersile is supposedly designed with a depth up to 1000m, and long range.

If anything, this is a new form of MAD.

EDIT: Allegedly the range is 10 000 kms, and each sub can potentially carry multiple units. The idea is that they will be used to destroy coastal cities, and contaminate the coastline with radiation, thus making life impossible in the coastal areas. Something quite relevant, consider US population distribution.

http://imperia-mir.livejournal.com/80453.html

Last edited by Feanor; November 13th, 2015 at 04:59 AM.
Feanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2015   #943
Super Moderator
General
swerve's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Reading, Berkshire
Posts: 6,685
Threads:
Move the capital to Denver!
swerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2015   #944
Defense Enthusiast
Lieutenant
Ranger25's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Si Vis Pacem. Para Bellum
Posts: 559
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
Status-6 is something different entirely. It's an unmanned submersile, not just a torpedo, with a nuclear weapon. It's use is not tactical, it's supposedly a megaton-class warhead for destroying coastal areas. The unmanned submersile is supposedly designed with a depth up to 1000m, and long range.

If anything, this is a new form of MAD.

EDIT: Allegedly the range is 10 000 kms, and each sub can potentially carry multiple units. The idea is that they will be used to destroy coastal cities, and contaminate the coastline with radiation, thus making life impossible in the coastal areas. Something quite relevant, consider US population distribution.

Статус-6 - оружие на Day After. Ответы на вопросы. - ОТ МИ*А СЕГО
Three concerns IMO

1- is this propaganda or a realistic weapon?

2- leaks say speeds up to 100kph? What would countermeasures be?

3-if realistic, given budget constraints and where the price of crude and value of Ruble stand, realistic timeframes to field?
________________
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Ranger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2015   #945
Super Moderator
General
Feanor's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Under your bed. No seriously, take a look.
Posts: 15,014
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by swerve View Post
Move the capital to Denver!
Yes, that would certainly save the capital, but how well would the US do if it were to lose both coastlines for the next ~300 years, due to radiation levels? These weapons are a recognition of the fact that in the modern world deterrence doesn't require total annihilation. Even the destruction of 6 major coastal cities, and ~50-100kms of coastline around them would be an unacceptably high price for any foreign adventure the US could possibly seek to undertake.

On an additional note, apparently they will not only carry nuclear warheads but be nuclear-powered. This is interesting in light of the work currently being done on mobile nuclear power plants for the Russian military.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger25 View Post
Three concerns IMO

1- is this propaganda or a realistic weapon?
Both, from the looks of it. They've been working on something with deepwater unmanned vehicles.

Quote:
2- leaks say speeds up to 100kph? What would countermeasures be?
Good questions. Russian commentators are saying "unstoppable" but I'm hoping our def-pros here will have a better answer.

Quote:
3-if realistic, given budget constraints and where the price of crude and value of Ruble stand, realistic timeframes to field?
Well it's a question of trade-offs. The Putin government would sooner raise retirement age, and cut spending on healthcare and education, as well as potential additional taxes, then sacrifice the re-armament program. At least that's how it stands right now. This should tell you that if push comes to shove, and they feel they need this to ensure that BMD can never reliably stop the Russian arsenal, then they will make sure it gets funded.

But let's not forget the two subs in question (09851 and 09852), as well as the current testbed (the Sarov) are all experimental one-off designs. If they were serious about deploying this in a major way, they'd need a whole new class of nuke subs. Strategic Nuclear Submersile Carriers. Then again, they may not need many of these things. The paper in the "leaked" video shows one to carry 4 and the other 6. Add to that whatever the Sarov can carry, even if just a couple, and 12 of these might be enough to guarantee deterrence.12 major coastal cities destroyed, and their immediate surroundings contaminated would certainly be too high a price to pay. And if some of the targets hit are major naval bases, and not just cities, this could cripple the USN on one theater at least.

In other words, this may end up being just 2-3 subs with a new experimental weapon (possibly two separate weapons actually, hence the two separate and rather different subs with different numbers of potential submersiles). It all remains to be seen.
Feanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:12 PM.