How many Soldiers are in service in Pakistan and India??

Majin-Vegeta

Banned Member
hi,

umm..someone in another forum thinks Pakistan has 600,000 soldiers :S and india has 1.2 million..he even gave me an article!! :S so now im confused..i thought Pakistan had 1.5 million while india had 3 million??

id also like to know manpower..from wat ive heard..Pakistan supposed to be very powerful..and now it seems untrue :S i need more answers!!

Winter

I wouldn't know much about this...I thought the case for the Pakistan Army was around half a million front line troops (possibly 600,000?) and around another half a million reservists. Again for India, around one million troops and approaching half a million to a million reservists. I'm sure some other people on this forum can come up with more exact figures.

Majin-Vegeta

Banned Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
yea i think your right, 850 thou troops and the rest being Militian meaning 850 + 600 = 145 million :D

wat bout military manpower??

Su_37

In 2002 the Indian Army had 980,000 active troops, along with an Army Reserve consisting of: 300,000 first line troops (those within five years of full time service), and another 500,000 second line troops (subject to recall to service until 50 years of age). The Territorial Army numbered 40,000 first line troops (and 160,000 second line troops). In 1994 the army had approximately 940,000 men and women on active duty, and another 36,000 in the Territorial Army. As of 1998 the Army had a sanctioned troop strength of 1,045,000, but there was a shortage of about 59,000 troops.

The Pakistan Army a total strength of 520000, larger than that of the United States, with a reserve element of 500,000 who have a reserve obligation up to the age of 45 years.

Winter

Su_37 said:
In 2002 the Indian Army had 980,000 active troops, along with an Army Reserve consisting of: 300,000 first line troops (those within five years of full time service), and another 500,000 second line troops (subject to recall to service until 50 years of age). The Territorial Army numbered 40,000 first line troops (and 160,000 second line troops). In 1994 the army had approximately 940,000 men and women on active duty, and another 36,000 in the Territorial Army. As of 1998 the Army had a sanctioned troop strength of 1,045,000, but there was a shortage of about 59,000 troops.

The Pakistan Army a total strength of 520000, larger than that of the United States, with a reserve element of 500,000 who have a reserve obligation up to the age of 45 years.
Having directly copied that off GlobalSecurity.org, Su_37, I am not sure about it's complete accuracy...These things can be quite out of date by a matter of years, you know....

elkaboingo

we have around 750,000 active duty troops
500,000 reservists
a lot of ground crews and maintanance
and a large amount of national guards and militia type things

umair

Peace Enforcer
elkaboingo said:
we have around 750,000 active duty troops
500,000 reservists
a lot of ground crews and maintanance
and a large amount of national guards and militia type things
You're forgetting extremely patriotic citizens who have always come out with whatever they could to help beet off the agressor.
According to one TIME cloumnist(drat! my memory, I can't seem to remember anything except accounting standards these days :roll )
Who can defeat a nation who knows how to play hide and seek with death[/b]

Majin-Vegeta

Banned Member
i meant 850,000 + 600,000 :p

so its around that i see? and obviously yea..people would come out to support against the aggression. :)

elkaboingo

yes you must include all those who brandish ak's, hockey sticks and cricket bats....

umair, look at who you are quoting. time magazine is dumb and knows nothing of defence matters (just like the guardian columnist who said chally 2 has 2ft thick armor). a more reliable source like janes would be better.

which reminds me, im not subscribed to them, all i have is a few tattered copies that are a decade old. the copy of janes idr im holding right now is boasting spy sats and the fn p90 just came out.

farina

At moment of truth any nation can generate an army twice the size of its "in service" army. Pakistan is one of those nations that can mobilize an army 5 times its "in service" army- the whole 18-49 aged men and women to fight against the aggressors! :pak

Majin-Vegeta

Banned Member
exactly, it dont matter how many are in service, they have 145 million ppl..even if someone took it over..they wouldnt be able to rule such a country AHAHA!! so thats a big advantage to Pakistan..so if america or anyother country invaded..rather than seeing 1 - 3 soldiers die a day (like in Iraq) u'd see 10 - 20 soldiers die a day, cuz Pakistan is quite small but carries so many ppl..so its a condensed area..u cant tell whos the enemy and whos not..so its hard :)

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
so if america or anyother country invaded..rather than seeing 1 - 3 soldiers die a day (like in Iraq) u'd see 10 - 20 soldiers die a day
Majin-Vegeta - lets keep the anti-country comments out of these threads ...

[Admin: Majin, we shouldn't celebrate death of a soldier. As the rules says: Do not disrespect military personnel of other countries. DefenceTalk.com considers them dedicated professionals who put their lives on the line for their motherland. You would not want someone to celebrate pakistani soldiers death or worst. Thanks, please carry on.]

elkaboingo

thanks to the anti narcotics force, there are literally hundreds of thousands of ak-47s to arm the public with (a last resort) that ought to be deterrent enough :)

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
IIRC the Stockholm Institute of Peace reckons that there are more than 80million AK's produced... what I want to know is where are they all... :eek

elkaboingo

on the black market, being sold by disgruntled russian troops....

ak-47's or all variants. i know pak police us the ak-47 and ak-104 (good sub machine gun and pierces body armor, drawbacks are the recoil)

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Pathans in Quetta can make ak-47s with hand within less than an hour! Over the past 30 years they have been doing that so they must be good. I think, to curb street violence in Pakistan these shops in Peshawor, Quetta should be regulated and watched. Right now, you can't really tell who buys what and where its going.

Majin-Vegeta

Banned Member
wat? no..Pakistan produce thier own AK47's..they make the best weaponry in the world..and sorry didnt mean to be rude to soldiers :S