India's P-17 (stealthy multi-role surface combatant)

Su_37

Future Commissions: Shivalik; Laid Down - 11 July 2001, Launched - 18 April 2003, Commissioning - 2005.

..Sahyadri; Laid Down - Commissioning - 2006/07.
..Satpura; Laid Down - Commissioning - 2007/08.

Displacement: 4900 tons.

Dimensions: Length - 143 metres.
.................Beam - 16.9 metres.
.................Draught - 4.5 metres.
.................Moulded Depth - 9.2 metres.

Maximum Speed: 32 knots for GT operations( Combat Mode
). Maximum cruising speed of 22 knots on diesels.

Complement: 250 (incl. 25 officers)

The Project 17 (P17) standard frigate will be the Indian Navy's (IN) new stealthy multi-role surface combatant for the 21st century. The program calls for 12 units. Cabinet approval for this project was given in 1997,

Construction of the first P17 frigate commenced with plate cutting on 18 December 2000, the keel laid on 11 July 2001 and the launch on 18 April 2003. The other two units will then be delivered at 18 month intervals and subsequent units - twelve planned in all - will likely be built in progressively modified batches

Christened as the 'new' Nilgiri Class frigate, the P17 is an enlarged and modified version of the Russian P1135.6 Talwar {Krivak III} Class frigates. It was jointly designed by the NDB and Russia's Severnoye Project Design Bureau (Severnoye Proyektno-Konstruktorskoye Bjuro - SPKB), the designers of the P1135.6 frigate. SPKB has been a consulting partner to the IN for quite some time now and its design influence is clearly seen in the Type 15 Delhi Class destroyers and Type 25/25A Khukri / Kora Class corvettes. More recently, France's DCN International (DCNI) has been involved in this project as a consultant undertaking signature management studies amongst other things. CAE of Canada will act as the overall platform functional integrator, which is landmark since this is the first time a Western company has been put in charge of a vital IN project.

In appearance and layout, the P17 is very similar to the Talwar Class frigate although the aft end is more like the Delhi Class destroyer. It is possible that the superstructure may yet be altered to resemble the Lafayette design depending upon DCNI's input. The P17 is approximately 143 meters long with a beam of 17 meters, a standard displacement of 4600 tons (5000+ tons full load) and a maximum speed of 30 knots. With respect to the P1135.6 design, the P17 is about 17 metres longer, 2 metres wider and displaces about a thousand tons more. Other important differences are in the propulsion system (CODOG vs. COGOG), number of embarked helicopters (two vs. one) and in the weapons and sensor suite. The ship will feature modular construction techniques using around 172 modules. This should, in theory, speed up the pace of construction considerably. The vessel's complement is estimated to number 257 (including 35 officers), which is a considerable improvement over present IN surface combatants of similar tonnage and results from the use of increased automation of many shipboard equipment and systems.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Its the french who are being busy. They are working on Indian ASW vessels and then pakistans subs and acoustic detection systems.

I may be from the "old school", but that seems to me to be a conflict of interest.

Oqaab

12 P-17 and 3 Talwar will make 15 stealth warships. I hope F-22p has some stealth systems to counter these.

Su_37

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
gf0012 said:
Its the french who are being busy. They are working on Indian ASW vessels and then pakistans subs and acoustic detection systems.

I may be from the "old school", but that seems to me to be a conflict of interest.
Well.. this sound intresting ...... but one thing .....

- If India going to buy 150 - 200 number of Mirage 2000-5 Planes , then I don;t think friench is going to seel nay of these

platform to Pak.

- French is supplying Scropio Subs to India.

French promised to India that no majoy wepon system will be seel to pak without consulting to India , including Rafal plane.

If you remember in the battel which ever have the close deplomitic relations will win , In the UK - Argentine War , French

supplyed Uk the defelection code for its Exocet Anti ship missile , which it has supplyed to Argentina.

Uk mounted the diplomatic pressure on French when the 2 of these missile destroyed Uk ships.

Arginatina, uses these missile agaist UK effectively , They fitted Exocet missile on plane , then these plane fly on low allitute avoiding radar detection, and then fire thse antiships missiles , Uk ships don;t even get the time to figure it out what happened to them.

So , Well this might be posssibilities that France and India reach an Understanding that Franch will provide Signature of Pak subs, in order to get lucretive Indian Contract worth of 3 billions and also future contact.

It is worth of Noticing that French Scropian Subs will have the capability to install nuclear reacter in it.

May be Wrong, But everything is fairExocet in Love and War. Classic Trick , get with the power of money.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
In the military research environment, and especially within the Euro community, the French military manufacturing are typically referred to as the "whores of europe".

As nasty, unattractive and unfair as that may be, it refers to their willingness to sell to anyone if the price is right.

Certainly my own personal experience would reinforce that. I deal with a French company that deals with India and Pakistan at the same time now - and they have no intention of abandoning either customer whilst they can generate revenue.

dabrownguy

Actaully if you count the PROJECT 15A BANGALORE CLASS than its a lot more stealth ships. ANd also the PROJECT 17 NILGIRI CLASS. I think these are to counter balance chinas or they just felt like spending money. whos knows. Any ways there also working on PROJECT 28 CLASS to get rid of nasty subrimes that may comenear the indian cost.

dabrownguy

I aslo for got to mention the PROJECT 75 we are to get 24 or more for brownwater combat in the indian cost. there kinda like the scorpenes.

Oqaab

French promised to India that no majoy wepon system will be seel to pak without consulting to India , including Rafal plane.
Can u post a link for that ??? Or these are just rumours ???

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I aslo for got to mention the PROJECT 75 we are to get 24 or more for brownwater combat in the indian cost. there kinda like the scorpenes.
What are like the scorpenes??

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
elkaboingo said:
i suppose they must be subs of a kind. :?
I'm confused, I thought he was talking about surface vessels. You don't use subs for brown water ops - unless they are micro midget subs and the water is very deep and very dirty... ;)

shamsi

gf0012 said:

Don't they say something about French, money, mothers and trade?

darklegent

Thats odd we all (Europe, Middle east, India, Pakistan, China) curse the French and yet buy their hardware. Smart Traders ....lol ;)

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
darklegent said:
Thats odd we all (Europe, Middle east, India, Pakistan, China) curse the French and yet buy their hardware. Smart Traders ....lol ;)
They make very good kit. No question about it. eg, they are probably the current world leaders in ramjet technology.

There's never been much of an issue that they can't build quality gear.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
One of the things that I like about US, French, Russian (and now Chinese and Indian) older naval vessels is that classic clipper line.

This must be the first Indian surface combatant that hasn't continued with that Soviet mentality of placing missile cannisters in every available deck spot - they were so ugly (and probably top heavy)

Warships like the New Jersey, Dunkerque, Sverdlov, to some extent the Arleigh Burkes all have that gracefull long bow design.