Go Back   DefenceTalk Forum - Military & Defense Forums > Global Defense & Military > Navy & Maritime

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

Royal Malaysian Navy (RMN) update

This is a discussion on Royal Malaysian Navy (RMN) update within the Navy & Maritime forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; Originally Posted by weasel1962 KLANG, Sept 19 (Bernama) -- Malaysia's upcoming submarine force will be relying on the navies of ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.
Old September 19th, 2006   #76
Aussie Digger
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by weasel1962
KLANG, Sept 19 (Bernama) -- Malaysia's upcoming submarine force will be relying on the navies of countries like the US and Australia to assist in deep sea rescue operations, should the unthinkable happens.

Royal Malaysian Navy (RMN) First Admiral Amzah Sulaiman said the US and Australian navies had established submarine forces, thus having the experience and resources to assist the nation's submarine force, which was still in its infancy.

"We'll be relying on allies for rescue and salvage operations and the nearest one I can think of is the Royal Australian Navy, as we have long-standing experience with them in rescue work," he told reporters on the deck of the USS Frank Cable which was docked at Westport here, Tuesday.

Meanwhile, Royal Australian Navy submarine group commander Commodore Richard Shalders said high-end rescue systems were expensive and there was no necessity to purchase them.

"You can just set up a rescue platform and other people's system can be used to help you," he said.

He said Malaysia could benefit from the Pacific Reach Exercise to be held in November 2007, where some 12 nations would send their submarines and rescue ships to test the waters off Western Australia.

"It's a very open community where you have free access to other countries' abilities and capabilities, and all information are shared so that we can assist your submarines or anyone else's in case of an accident," he added.
I wonder what Dr MAHATIR thinks of this proposal? I reckon he'd probably prefer to see the Sub on the bottom of the Ocean than accept any help from us...
Old September 19th, 2006   #77
Entertainer
General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Digger
I wonder what Dr MAHATIR thinks of this proposal? I reckon he'd probably prefer to see the Sub on the bottom of the Ocean than accept any help from us...
That would be the happy fellah advocating proliferation of nukes ?
Grand Danois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006   #78
Aussie Digger
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Danois
That would be the happy fellah advocating proliferation of nukes ?
Yep that's him, the former Prime Minister of Malaysia and the one who spoke openly of his hatred for Australia and United States WHEN he was PM...
Old September 19th, 2006   #79
Entertainer
General
Threads:
Quote:
Yep that's him, the former Prime Minister of Malaysia and the one who spoke openly of his hatred for Australia and United States WHEN he was PM...
Then
  1. good he isn't PM anymore.

2. he is really not that happy a fellah, but instead a pretty frustrated fellah.
Grand Danois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006   #80
Aussie Digger
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Danois
Then
  1. good he isn't PM anymore.
  2. he is really not that happy a fellah, but instead a pretty frustrated fellah.
I agree, though it will be interesting to see what some of the Malaysians who visit this site say about him, if anything. Hopefully he's not representative of most of his Country...
Old September 19th, 2006   #81
Defense Aficionado
Lieutenant General
Threads:
Quote:
I agree, though it will be interesting to see what some of the Malaysians who visit this site say about him, if anything. Hopefully he's not representative of most of his Country...
Wasn't he also in charge when the locally built MEKO project was set up ? His most enduring legacy will remain building everything locally (from Proton cars to semiconductors) whatever the cost
I don't have anything against mild nationalism or a moderate level of import substitution, but by the mid-90s there was no "mild" or "moderate" in his policies anymore !

cheers
contedicavour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006   #82
Private First Class
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Considering a couple of weeks ago his own party refused to make him an official delegate to their summit I think it would be safe to assume he's on the outer these days.
scraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006   #83
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
what the hell... the thread being hijacked, the man is officially retired , he is already out of the way.
caksz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2006   #84
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
I think a lot of malaysians admired him for what he have done in integrating and thrusting a well industrialized Malaysia.but you can't have supporters without haters for his outspoken and sarcastic remarks has been his trademark all along.his opinions on OZ and particularly US surely based on their foreign policies and specifically to OZ on how they treat their neighbours.sometimes we not disagree some of their actions,feeling that OZ has really taken that deputy sheriff post.that's all.but in case of emergency i don't think he's that cold-hearted to leave his countrymen died in vain.we had problems with singapore as well but nothing serious happened on their relationship.
mmmbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2006   #85
Colonel
No Avatar
Threads:
Re:

Deleted

Last edited by weasel1962; October 19th, 2008 at 12:00 AM.
weasel1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2006   #86
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
i'm not sure the exact date he announced his hatred for australia but i remember well it is after mr. howard announced australia rights to use first strike/preemptive strike policy in the region.
after that malaysia announced they will buy su 30 from russia.
arkhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2006   #87
Aussie Digger
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhan
i'm not sure the exact date he announced his hatred for australia but i remember well it is after mr. howard announced australia rights to use first strike/preemptive strike policy in the region.
after that malaysia announced they will buy su 30 from russia.
And yet at a military to military level Australia and Malaysia (as well as Singapore) get along like a "house on fire". There is a large scale FPDA exercise on right now with RAAF, F-111, F/A-18, AP-3C and B-707 operating out of Butterworth and RAN frigates and patrol boats operating out of Changi...
Old September 20th, 2006   #88
Private First Class
Threads:
Quote:
And yet at a military to military level Australia and Malaysia (as well as Singapore) get along like a "house on fire". There is a large scale FPDA exercise on right now with RAAF, F-111, F/A-18, AP-3C and B-707 operating out of Butterworth and RAN frigates and patrol boats operating out of Changi...
Makes sense doesn't it? The military ties outliving the vulgarities of different politicians, leaders and their administrations, transcending politics. I think at the military to military level between Malaysia and Australia really reflects the long term relationship irrespective of whoever is elected in both countries. It historically has been a positive relationship. The Aussies having provided assitance during the Malayan "Emergency" and "Confrontasi" period.
Subangite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2006   #89
Colonel
No Avatar
Threads:
Re:

Deleted

Last edited by weasel1962; October 19th, 2008 at 12:00 AM.
weasel1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2006   #90
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
that was a political talk digger. every politician need their boogeyman. bush have his osama and al qaeda, ahmanidejad have his bush and during that times howard was mahathir's boogeyman.
dont worry about mahathir now, our new prime minister style is lot more different than mahathir.
arkhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: