Go Back   DefenceTalk Forum - Military & Defense Forums > Global Defense & Military > Navy & Maritime

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

Royal Canadian Navy Discussions and updates

This is a discussion on Royal Canadian Navy Discussions and updates within the Navy & Maritime forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; Another news story about Irving's desire for foreign AOPS sale. Again, I am at a loss as to what country ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #796
Defense Aficionado
Major General
Threads:
Another news story about Irving's desire for foreign AOPS sale. Again, I am at a loss as to what country needs this ship as most nations which have a need already have something similar. The asking price seems unrealistic to any potential foreign buyer. If the Canadian government and Irving want to retain skilled workers for a smooth transition to the CSC then negotiate a sixth AOPS build for the RCN. Hopefully the CSC decision will be made before it becomes necessary to add a seventh AOPS!

Irving wants to sell Arctic patrol ships to other customers but are the vessels too expensive? | Ottawa Citizen
John Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #797
Private
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fedup View Post
Another news story about Irving's desire for foreign AOPS sale. Again, I am at a loss as to what country needs this ship as most nations which have a need already have something similar. The asking price seems unrealistic to any potential foreign buyer. If the Canadian government and Irving want to retain skilled workers for a smooth transition to the CSC then negotiate a sixth AOPS build for the RCN. Hopefully the CSC decision will be made before it becomes necessary to add a seventh AOPS!

Irving wants to sell Arctic patrol ships to other customers but are the vessels too expensive? | Ottawa Citizen
I thought it was already understood they where going to purchase the sixth vessels in the class? I wonder which countries could possible want this vessel of monster we created. The speed of a minesweeper, the hull of an icebreaker, the sensor/ EW/ decoy outfit of a minor surface combatant, yet with armament of a minor coast guard vessels.

Maybe Iceland I am guessing? They tend arm their coast guard ships lightly while having a modest sensor outfit. They would also like the ability to transport supplies and break through light ice perhaps? Maybe Finland but with the ship being up-gunned? From what I understand the ice there is not that bad; and their coast guard which seconded from their navy is in need of a new command ship. Then begs the question though why either one of this countries by something so overpriced and time-delayed in Canada when they could just go to Norway?
J_Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #798
Defense Aficionado
Major General
Threads:
At the present time, the sixth ship has not been ordered and clearly the government doesn't want to fund it. However, they may have to keep Irving's workforce intact. I agree that any country looking for an ice capable patrol ship would opt for a Norwegian build over Canadian.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #799
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Fincanteri putting public pressure on the Gov't.

Exclusive: Consortium offers Canada a deal on a new fleet of frigates that could save $32 billion | National Post
Belesarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #800
Defense Enthusiast
Lieutenant
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belesarius View Post
I wonder if Australia will be offered the same deal.
hauritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #801
Defense Enthusiast
Corporal
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hauritz View Post
I wonder if Australia will be offered the same deal.
Bids have been submitted for Sea5K and are being evaluated. Fincantieri may have made a similar offer, but as we don’t know the details of either the RFT or the evaluation process and criteria it’s impossible to know how such a “deal” might or might not have been offered or what it might contain; and there’s not much point in speculating. We’ll just have to wait for the evaluation to complete. IIRC, that and second pass are due in April.
spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #802
Colonel
No Avatar
Threads:
It appears that Navantia is bidding a modified F-105 for the Canadian Surface Combatant program fitted with both the Saab 9LVCMS and also with CEAFAR as the radar system:

Navantia Team Submits Proposal for CSC
John Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #803
Defense Aficionado
Major General
Threads:
Here is another assessment of our military procurement issues, pretty much sums up a sad state of affairs.

Andrew Coyne: The problem with military procurement in Canada is the military always comes last | National Post
Old 1 Week Ago   #804
Private First Class
No Avatar
Threads:
Well John here's the Aion bid.

Alion Finally Announced CSC Bid – Maple Leaf Navy Magazine
walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #805
Private First Class
No Avatar
Threads:
Well the FRA/ITA bid has been punted out due to non-compliance with the process - they sent the bid to the Government rather than through the competitive process

https://www.defensenews.com/industry...gate-offering/

Interesting quote to pick out of that one was the FREMM bid leant more to the ASW-specific Italian variant than the French variant.

So you've got Type 26, F-105 or De Zeven Provincien still in it I think plus any not made public?
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #806
Defense Aficionado
Major General
Threads:
I believe TKMS and OMT were eligible to bid their respective designs, the F125 and the Iver Huitfeld. It will be interesting to see if they did actually bid. If the Type 26 proposal wins, I will be surprised if no lawsuits emerge.
Old 1 Week Ago   #807
Defense Enthusiast
Lieutenant
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Well the FRA/ITA bid has been punted out due to non-compliance with the process - they sent the bid to the Government rather than through the competitive process

https://www.defensenews.com/industry...gate-offering/

Interesting quote to pick out of that one was the FREMM bid leant more to the ASW-specific Italian variant than the French variant.

So you've got Type 26, F-105 or De Zeven Provincien still in it I think plus any not made public?
That is a big deal that the FREMM bid pretty much eliminated itself.

It sounds like their offer was more of an ultimatum. They were effectively saying do it our way or count us out.

What's the bet that this might have had something to do with the unnamed bidder who complained that the project had a "very high risk of failure".

Bidder urges overhaul of design tender in $60B navy frigate program - Politics - CBC News
hauritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #808
Defense Aficionado
Major General
Threads:
Yep, it was likely the same team that made the complaint. They understandably did not want to turn over IP information to Irving which is why they made this "Hail Mary" offer directly to the Canadian government. They were pi$$ed and decided there was no point in jumping through all the hoops in the tender process and wasting a $hitload on money on a no-win proposition. Again, it will be interesting to learn if there are other bids besides the vendors which have declared themselves.
Old 1 Week Ago   #809
Defense Enthusiast
Sergeant
Threads:
Irving tweeting image of pending mega block assembly of APOV-430 HMCS Harry DeWolf

APOV-430 HMCS Harry DeWolf 50.jpg

Large online image

Some media from Irving Halifax Shipyard: First Arctic and Offshore Patrol Ship assembled at Halifax Shipyard

And, Canadian Forces twitter sharing some additional images
(reduced and combined them for space)

DeWolf assembly comp.jpg

Larger images online: Upper Left, Upper Right, Lower Left, Lower Right
FormerDirtDart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #810
Defense Enthusiast
Corporal
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fedup View Post
Yep, it was likely the same team that made the complaint. They understandably did not want to turn over IP information to Irving which is why they made this "Hail Mary" offer directly to the Canadian government. They were pi$$ed and decided there was no point in jumping through all the hoops in the tender process and wasting a $hitload on money on a no-win proposition. Again, it will be interesting to learn if there are other bids besides the vendors which have declared themselves.
Providing your IP to the build yard is a normal part of the process of building in a foreign country if you don’t have your own yard there: it’s being done in Aust, Singapore, Indonesia, Chile and many other places. And to get to build first you need to win, which means convincing the customer in your bid that your build program is achievable, and that in turn means you need to make arrangements of some sort with a local yard unless of course you plan a green fields approach.
spoz is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: