Iran to launch satellite with own rocket

Frozen Hell

Iran to launch satellite with own rocket within 18 months
AFP
05/01/2004
Iran's defence minister said Monday that the Islamic republic would launch its own satellite into space with an Iranian-made launch system, the official news agency IRNA reported.

"Within 18 months Iran will launch its own satellite. Iran will be the first Islamic country to enter the stratosphere with its own satellite and its own, indigenous launch system," Defence Minister Ali Shamkhani was quoted as saying.

"The aerospace capacity of the Islamic republic is one of the main means of deterrence for the country, and is acquired through cooperation between the defence industries and universities," he added.

"There was a time when the Persian Gulf was a source of threats against the Islamic republic, but today with the power we have obtained this region can no longer be used against us by any non-regional power," IRNA quoted him as saying.

-ends-

Pretty impressive for a country like Iran. :)

The Watcher

Nice! I wouldn't be surprised if iran had nukes. :D I hope neighbors of Iran can follow soon and make their own indigenous launch systems! :iran

interseptor

I am not superised Iran is a very Selfsuficient Country that can produce various weapons in its own labs and now its luanching setelites to orbit gives Iran a new Venture towards the world.

highsea

Well, the 18 months has come and gone....IIRC, Russia inked a deal with Iran to launch these birds back in May... But 2 of their launchers are grounded right now. You can only blow up so many sats before your customers start getting nervous. Oh well.