RAAF force enhancements

A

Aussie Digger

The RAAF is to be further enhanced following Budget announcements today from the Australian Government. here's the announcement:

The Government has approved three new major projects that will give the Royal Australian Air Force the edge in air combat operations.

Senator Hill said the Government had decided to invest $326 million to buy an additional two Airborne Early Warning and Control aircraft – just days before the first of Australia’s fleet undertakes its initial test flight.

"The RAAF will now be equipped with a fleet of six Wedgetail aircraft, instead of four, almost doubling the Australian Defence Force’s air and maritime surveillance capability," Senator Hill said.

"The investment is about 10 per cent of the original contract price for a 50 per cent increase in capability.

"Increasing the size of our order to six aircraft also means that four of the Wedgetail aircraft will now be fitted-out in Australia, creating around 170 new jobs in Brisbane. Australian industry can expect to undertake more than $80 million of work on the project with a further $75 million worth of associated export work for Australian industry. There will also be three technology transfer programs worth $24 million to Australia."

The first of Australia’s AEW&C Wedgetail aircraft will take to the skies in Seattle next week. The first two aircraft will be officially handed over to the RAAF in November 2006.

The second project will provide Australia’s F/A-18 Hornet fighter aircraft with the capability to conduct all-weather precision bombing operations at a cost of around $50 million.

"The RAAF’s air strike capability will be boosted through the acquisition of kits for existing bombs that will increase their accuracy and allow delivery in adverse weather conditions," Senator Hill said.

Defence will issue a restricted Request for Tender to the manufacturers of suitable weapons systems, including Enhanced Paveway II (EP2) and Joint Direct Attack Munition (JDAM), to determine which weapon kit best meets RAAF requirements. These weapons include GPS guidance software to ensure the highest possible accuracy with the lowest possible collateral damage.

"Recent operations in Afghanistan and Iraq have demonstrated that precision bombing from the air not only limits casualties but also provides critical support to joint operations," Senator Hill said.

The bomb improvement program will complement the Government’s future follow-on stand-off weapon program. Together the two projects will provide a cost-effective enhancement to the ADF’s air strike capability while Defence awaits the arrival of the Joint Strike Fighter. The initial integration of the bomb kits will be complete by 2008.

The third project will provide the C-130J Hercules fleet with major enhancements to their capability with the introduction of self-protection systems at cost of around $20 million.

"This project will introduce missile warning systems, countermeasure dispensing systems and ballistic protection to our transport aircraft ensuring they are better protected against surface-to-air missiles and small arms fire," Senator Hill said.

While most of the equipment will be acquired from overseas suppliers and is off-the-shelf, installation of the equipment will be undertaken in Australia. Self-protection for the full C-130J aircraft fleet will be fitted by 2005.

In addition, the Government will be considering a number of new major capital equipment projects in 2004-05 that will significantly increase the ADF’s capability for amphibious deployment, maritime surveillance, command and control, strike, trooplift, land force protection, and improved logistic and management information.

These projects will represent a major boost for Australian industry, particularly in the areas of shipbuilding, information technology and aerospace engineering.

In addition to the 6 operational AWACS aircraft the RAAF is also acquiring an additional system that will be used for training and could be installed on a 737 if required to provide additional capability. The bomb improvement program is also long overdue with the RAAF currently possessing GBU-10/12 as it's only precision air to ground munition...

A

Aussie Digger

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yep these will provide a massive increase in our ability to protect our own airspace and improve our ability to consuct strike operations. I've read reports that due to the new technology radar (MESA) the RAAF's Wedgetails will be as capable as the US's latest edition E-3 Sentries. With Link 16 and all the other capabilities it will possess, things are looking very bright for the RAAF. Cheers.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
That last shot looks like Boeings facility in Seattle. No Australian military reg numbers yet, it still using US reg numbers - although it appears just to be a mask

Awang se

Verified Defense Pro
Can it track a surface targets. Or like the ERIEYE it have to fly a figure 8 pattern in order to do so.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
It can track land targets. As a piece of trivia, the RAAF AP-3c Orions are also able to engage land tracking of targets.

They have been used in Iraq for such work.

A

Aussie Digger

The Synthetic Aperture capability of the RAAF's AP-3C Elta radar has proven itself in Iraq in the land surveillance role and the AP-3C is now regarded as amongst the most capable platform of it's kind in the world.

Pathfinder-X

Tribal Warlord
Verified Defense Pro
oh this plane. i seen this plane's ad on aviation weekly, claims to be the most advanced AWACS system in the world (my ass). :D but it does have pretty good capability though. surely these AWACS will help RAAF take abilities to the next lvl.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Pathfinder-X said:
oh this plane. i seen this plane's ad on aviation weekly, claims to be the most advanced AWACS system in the world (my ass). :D but it does have pretty good capability though. surely these AWACS will help RAAF take abilities to the next lvl.
The idiotic thing about this project is that Australia designed some of the critical elements of the system and agreed that Boeing could sell future models without paying us a royalty for development.

Bloody morons in govt strike again. The aust'n taxpayer pays for R&D and Boeing gets the rewards...

Pathfinder-X

Tribal Warlord
Verified Defense Pro
gf0012 said:
The idiotic thing about this project is that Australia designed some of the critical elements of the system and agreed that Boeing could sell future models without paying us a royalty for development.

Bloody morons in govt strike again. The aust'n taxpayer pays for R&D and Boeing gets the rewards...
now dat's some dump crap ur politicians pulled off rite there!!! :D2

even a moron knows to get some money from things they made, could ur government did this to please the U.S and possibly get better deals on other things???

A

Aussie Digger

Pathfinder, I have no doubt that the Wedgetail IS the most advanced AWACS in the world, as it's the newest. It's not the most capable, simply because it's designed for a particular role and level of capability (ie: particular level of capability for a particular amount of money)... It is still very capable however, and is widely regarded as being more capable than any likely opponents in the forseeable future.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Pathfinder-X said:
even a moron knows to get some money from things they made, could ur government did this to please the U.S and possibly get better deals on other things???
No, the aust govt (on both sides) has decided that the R&D is beneficial to our allies and does not see these things as something that should realise financial gain.

From a commercial opportunity perspective, that sounds daft. From the politico-diplomatic perpsective, it's entirely acceptable.

umair

Peace Enforcer
RAAF's got it made!
I really like the radome style, no pod, no rotodome but somewhere in between.Gary what's this arrangement called?

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
It's called a Multi-role Electronically Scanned Array (MESA).

The MESA is a steerable beam, L-band electronically scanned array. It's able to track airborne and surface targets at the same time.

In contemporary terms its considered superior to the E3 AWACs which uses a mechanically steered system. Digital is lighter, faster and more accurate (in this case.)

adsH

Digital system phased Aray based radars have the added advantage of Being light easly mounted and less power consuming i would supose it would compensate by haveing Longer range faster electronic scan.It is certainly more accurate as its not Pulse based.(I hope its the samething, the Phased Array radar and MESA) but I doubt this AWAC will simultaneously scan Ground target while Monitoring the Air space. I think RAAF will use this for Air Asset Control and and Airspace monitoring the P3C and the New UAV based Assets can do the Dirty Job of monitoring th surface. I think the Israeli Flacons have the design type to do both!! but i dout it will be chaep to keep one of those AirBorn, GF do you think the Israeli AWACS the Falcon system consumes tooo Much power it looks Huge its Phased Array Radar is HUGE and i can bet that it has side mounted P.A.R too (not too sure here), i am sure it poses the added advantage of haveing an exceptional long range with clever Israeli Electronics. BUt the Israeli AWAC is in a completely differnt League from this Australian AWAC.

A

Aussie Digger

I have read that Wedgetail will be second only to the latest model E-3 Sentry in terms of overall capability. It's radar is just as capable as the E-3 if not more so, but it does not possess the ability to control as large a battle as the E-3, through having lesser numbers of consoles and operators...

adsH

i think lesser does not mean less in capability what i have read about this Awac and the swedish Awacs is that they are minimizing Operation console's where they have allocated most of the Petty tasks to the computer and the rest to the Few operators who can now carry out a variety of task when they are aided by the on bord computer system they have Multiple windows like environment too shirk enlarge screens so they are in no way less in operational capacity.