India offers naval services to GCC states

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
ABU DHABI [MENL] -- India has launched an effort to market naval services to Gulf Cooperation Council fleets.

Industry sources said New Dehli has briefed several Gulf Arab states on an offer to provide them with naval shipyard maintenance and upgrades. The sources said India has offered these services at a much lower rate than its Western counterparts.

"The pitch is that India is much closer than Europe or the United States and GCC fleets can be serviced cheaper and returned much faster," an industry source said.

The sources said a similar offer has been relayed to Iran. The Indian proposal was for New Dehli to upgrade Iran's fleet of Kilo-class diesel submarines procured from Russia.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.menewsline.com/stories/2004/february/02_27_3.html

general

Roger Smith said:
India has good relation with GCC States and Iran, I am sure India will be able to secure number of good deals.
that's if they can overcome the hugely massive Pakistani influence in the GCC states.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Actually, India enjoys substantial trade with the GCC. I can confirm this because I am a member of the Australian/Arabic Chamber of Commerce and the Australia/India Chamber of Commerce.

First Ever GCC - India Industrial Conference Concludes with a Mumbai Declaration (18 Feb, 2004)

The first GCC-India Industrial Conference, convened in Mumbai was historic, marking the first ever structured gathering and composite dialogue forum involving GCC and India on a great magnitude. The conference ‘Opportunities and Challenges - 21st Century’ focused on four select priority areas covering GCC and India – (i) trade, (ii) investments, (iii) industrial cooperation including Small and Medium Enterprises(SMEs)/Small Scale Industries (SSI) and (iv) transfer of technology including Information Technology. GCC is India’s second largest trading partner, with overall GCC-India trade amounting to about US $12.5 billion in the year 2002. Endorsing the GCC-India Framework Agreement for Economic Co-operation, which provides overall commitment for increased broad-based economic cooperation, the Conference in its concluding day called for increased cooperation in harmonization and recognition of business standards, trade documentation and certification to provide further streamlined movement of goods and services.

Comprising of ministerial and business delegations from the six member states of the Cooperation Council for the Arab States of the Gulf – UAE, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Qatar and Kuwait – and India, this mega event symbolized the political will on all sides to complement and reinforce the strong India-GCC bilateral relations and to further promote engagement with the GCC as a group addressed ways and means to promote economic cooperation between India and GCC.

(original source middle east news service)

mysterious

I think Naval matters have a bit of a strategic importance which is a bit of a sensitive matter than just plain trade and economic cooperation. Besides, once Pakistani Gwadar Port opens up and similar facilities spring up alongside it; I dont see why the GCC would use Indian naval services when Gwadar would be right at their door-steps.

Roger Smith

mysterious said:
Well I'm waiting to see when these so-called 'changes' take place.
There is already changes taking place with India like Iran & GCC defence cooperation, Afghanistan military supplies etc. ;)

general

mysterious said:
Well I'm waiting to see when these so-called 'changes' take place.
they are nothing compared to what Pakistani influence have in the region.All GCC states have Pakistani pilots flying for them.And when Qatar was selling the Mirages they were first offered to Pak and later India.

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Iran & GCC defence cooperation, Afghanistan military supplies
Iran and Afghanistan are not part of GCC.

The members are:
Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar and the United Arab Emirates (UAE). ?

Roger Smith

WebMaster said:
Iran & GCC defence cooperation, Afghanistan military supplies
Iran and Afghanistan are not part of GCC.

The members are:
Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar and the United Arab Emirates (UAE). ?

WB

You are right on the above aspect. India are having cordial and friendly relation with every Muslim countries including GCC, wherelse Pakistan is taking it for granted. ;)