SPECOPS

joker

The purpose of this thread is to obtain info. on the operational structure and purpose of US Specops forces. I do believe that the US military/Pentagon command several different SF.

What I wanted to know is what role does each of the units listed below fulfill as far specops missions are concerned and from which service do they originate from?

Ive listed what I think may be right but pls. make any corrections where relevant.

1. Delta Force - CT - USAr

2. Green Berets- COIN/Guerilla WF- USAr

3. SEALS- "multirole" (sorry cant find the appropriate military acronym) - USN

4. Rangers (are these guys even special operators/commandos?) a brief description of their strucutre and purpose would be welcome.

5. MRF- recce- USM

6. 82nd airborne (once again are these special operators) airborne assault.

7. Does the USAF have a specop unit and if so what is its functions and mission?

8. I know the NEST is responsible for locating missing US WMDs but as far as I can tell they are a civilian agency. Please correct me if Im wrong. Does the US military have a unit dedicated to safeguarding/locating/retrieving or destroying missing WMDs.

One point I never understood was why the US never structured their elite units like the Brits i.e. SAS, SBS and Pathfinders tasked with much of what all the above mentioned US SF units are tasked with. What are the pros and cons of the US system over the British one?

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Both the US and UK now have their separate special forces units under a single command structure.

A

Aussie Digger

Joker, The US 75th Ranger Regiment is technically a "special operations" unit as they are attached to SOCOM (US Special Operations Command), however they are more in the nature of an infantry support unit for Special Ops Units as they are neither trained nor equipped for a "proper" specwarops role. They are structured as a light infantry "airmobile" unit and work closely with the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment (as do ALL US Special Forces). The Green berets are not called that, they are officially known as US Army Special Forces and comprise the 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 10th, 19th and 20th Special Forces Group. They undertake the full range of Special Ops missions and all up comprise around 10,000 men.

Delta Force (Special Forces Operational detachment - Delta) is still not officially acknowledged as a US unit, however it provides a similar capability to and is structured along the same lines as the British SAS regiment, it is also (I believe about the same size). It is primarily concerned with international counter-terrorism missions, though like the British SAS, covers the full spectrum of Special Ops missions.

The 82nd Airborne are the USA's parachute Division (ie: not a Specops unit) and the 101st Airborne is the USA's light infantry Airmobile (ie Helicopter borne infantry) Division.

The USAF does have special operations units, known as Special Tactics Squadrons and these comprise "Combat Controllers" whose task is to prepare landing zones, guiding air traffic providing initial ATC etc. They are considered "special" as they are often in an area of operations before any supporting units and therefore trained in the full range of specwarops capabilties ie: HALO/HAHO parachuting, diving/small boat handling tecniques, close quarter battle training advanced first aid, navigation, weapons handling, communications abilities etc, etc. USAF also operate Parachute jumpers which are designed to provide CSAR and advanced medical treatment capabilities. The USAF Special Operations command comes under the Umbrella of the US SOCOM.

US Navy SEALS are designed to provide a Special Operations Capability in the Maritime and Littoral (ie: from beach-heads to about 25 klms off the shore) areas. They undertake a full range of Special Operations missions in these areas. They are grouped in 6 Operational SEAL teams plus the "famous" SEAL Team 6 (or the Naval Special Warfare Development Group, DEV-GROUP as it's more commonly known)which is responsible for the USA's Maritime Counterterrorist Operations.

If you're interested in finding out much more about world SF units; http://www.specialoperations.com/ is about your best bet on the net. Cheers.

A

Aussie Digger

Oh and Gf, the Marine Corps "Force Recon" Units do not come under SOCOM for some strange reason. Buggered if I know why, cause they're yanks probably... ;)

Winter

I'm pretty sure Aussie Digger's summary wrapped it up. USAF Special Operations Command has around 10,000 (?) personnel. As well as Special Tactics Groups and PJs, AFSOC also operates several special operations wings, which fly specops aircraft variants, such as Combat Talons and Pave Lows.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Aussie Digger said:
Oh and Gf, the Marine Corps "Force Recon" Units do not come under SOCOM for some strange reason. Buggered if I know why, cause they're yanks probably... ;)
That will be an interesting long term issue as there are a few autonomous units that the USMC are supposed to have at risk. In light of Rumsfelds attitude to SOC, I'm surprised that they still maintain a separate posture - although nominally they are managed by the USN.

A

Aussie Digger

The Force Recon Units are independant because they are directly embedded within the Marine Expeditionary units. They are the recon platoon for the MEU, if you will. Their capabilities make them "special" but their role predominantly is recon for the MEU, the rest of their capabilities just makes them more useful. Winter, I said 10,000 in the whole of the US SOCOM, not just USAF Special Operations... Each Service that operates Specwarops units has it's own Special Operations Command. Each Spec Ops unit apart from Marine Force Recon ALSO comes under the Umbrella and is ultimately responsible to the United States Special Operations Command. Confusing eh? Bureaucrats love that sort of crap. Gives them plenty of work to do... Interestingly enough I have also read that the FBI's Hostage Rescue Team is also "under" the command of the US SOCOM, probably only for equipment and training purposes though.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Aussie Digger said:
The Force Recon Units are independant because they are directly embedded within the Marine Expeditionary units. They are the recon platoon for the MEU, if you will. Their capabilities make them "special" but their role predominantly is recon for the MEU, the rest of their capabilities just makes them more useful. Winter, I said 10,000 in the whole of the US SOCOM, not just USAF Special Operations... Each Service that operates Specwarops units has it's own Special Operations Command. Each Spec Ops unit apart from Marine Force Recon ALSO comes under the Umbrella and is ultimately responsible to the United States Special Operations Command. Confusing eh? Bureaucrats love that sort of crap. Gives them plenty of work to do... Interestingly enough I have also read that the FBI's Hostage Rescue Team is also "under" the command of the US SOCOM, probably only for equipment and training purposes though.
The NEST Teams also come under the control of SOCOM as well now. There was a darn good book on the HRT that came out approx 2 years ago, the author was a long time operator and has a pretty extensive write up about the co-training that they used to undertake with specwarries etc at the military "training houses" etc.. They would do HALO HAHO jumps etc with them as well.

Was an interesting read - for the life of me I can't remember the name of it though

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Special Forces (Green Berets) are trainers and advisors. Each group is assigned to a geographical area of operations, once a soldier is assigned to that group they will be there for the rest of their career. An A-Team would be tasked for example to train and advise members of the host nations indigenous forces to fight guerilla's or other factions determined to disrupt and or overthrow said host nations government. Even though their role is training and advising that does not exclude SF members from accompanying and or leading said indigenous forces.

SEAL Teams. Again each team is task specific and mission oriented. One team specializes in high seas raids, while another specializes in brown water warfare.

Delta Force. This is the creme de la creme American Spec Ops force. Members are drawn from various components and branches of the armed forces, most of which are Ranger or SF based. Delta Force performs the real clandestine high speed missions that we never read about. These individuals have alter ego identities meaning they work, and live in a world that does not recogninze or know who they are or what they do.

Ranger Regiment. The Rangers were typically tasked to seize critical objectives well ahead of main forces as well as providing long range patrols well forward of the FEBA. This has changed as they will be adding an additional Regiment, a Stryker Brigade, organic Aviation and a total make over of their mission posture. These guys are going to be the main feeder for Delta and SF as well as taking on more covert type operations. The long patrolling is gone, and emphasis has been switched to giving these guys tons of trigger time. Currently the Regiment is firing live rounds 5 days a week. Every 4th week the entire week is spent on the range firing live ammo.

Force Recon. The USMC's version of the Ranger Regiment with much of the same capabilities.

The Air Force does not have a real and true Spec Op community however, they do have Spec Op type troops that accompany the above formations some or all the time. Para Rescue men are in Delta Force and are every bit as tough, elite and professional as any other Spec Op types. The Air Force also supplies CAC's and FAC's to these formations for obvious reasons.

Let's not forget 160th SOAR AV Regiment also knowns as the Night Stalkers. Without question the best and brightest helicopter pilots in the world, second to none! The 160th is tasked to support Delta as well as the Ranger Regiments and SF groups.

Interesting info on the NEST guy GF0012, my buddy was a Ranger Regiment HALO jump master and I will have to ask him if he's trained any NEST guys.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Gremlin29, that would be good, ask him also if he ever managed to do some exchange training in Australia, we had some Rangers out here a few years ago who did some harsh environment training. (stuck out in the desert in an iron ore mountain range, and then given 48 hrs to get to another location intact without electronic assistance). Not an easy course.

The USAF used to have extraction teams in the 80's based in the UK. ie if a US asset went missing their job was to fly in and pull them out. I've got their title and unit number in another location (which I'll be in in 36 hrs. so I'll post the details). They were also absorbed, firstly into other units, then under SOC.

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Okay, I talked to my buddy and he said he has never trained with NEST perosnel other than on training missions involving the Rangers as a perimeter security unit. So the exposure to NEST he did have was in the form of operational training rather than qualification type training. He did say that they most likely received their HALO/HAHO training at the John F. Kennedy Special Warfare School (hope I got that one right!) via 3rd SF Group. He did have high praise for the NEST guys that he did train with and said they were pretty high speed.

I'll ask if he's worked with Australian SAS, I know he's worked with the Brit SAS quite a bit as we've swapped anecdotes about those lads more than once.

The Air Force guys your talking about are probably Para Jumpers (PJ's) and they are definately are Special Ops types however their "speciallity" is with rescuing downed aviators in hostile environments. These guys still exist and operate however I am not familiar with how they are organized, as a seperate unit, a detachment etc. I do know that Delta Force includes PJ operators. Becoming a PJ in the Air Force is quite a feat, much like passing the SEAL or SF courses.

As an aside, SEAL Team 6 (IIRC) was deactivated due to over exposure to the media.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
As an aside, SEAL Team 6 (IIRC) was deactivated due to over exposure to the media.
Yes, I remember that, they actually have a new title which is a "small sentence" ;) IIRC fundamentally the same unit , but completely different title so as to lose any connection and identify their prev life. Damn shame as you lose "unit history"

The Brits were suffering the same hype with the SAS. There was about 5 minutes of serious consideration given to changing their name - except removing the "SAS" title would see the fall of the government :)

The whole nature of specforces is to work in the shadows, I wish the press would focus on other issues rather than the "super warrior", "uber soldier" tags. They do the same in Aust. They carry on like they are a public item and invariably get 99% of the info wrong anyway.

Rule No: 1 Assume that any public media info about spec forces roles and or activities is probably 99% wrong.

I worked with half a dozen ex SAS/SASr guys on some projects and they NEVER talk about anything they did at an op level - which is how it's supposed to be.

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I agree wholeheartedly. I think the military in general needs to be shielded more from the media. It's difficult enough without having to worry about your "public image". And your correct about Team 6.

joker

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wow thanks a lot Aussie Digger, GF and Gremlin your info has been of great help indeed.

A

Aussie Digger

The new name of the old SEAL Team 6 was in my post above, they call it DEV-Group now.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Aussie Digger said:
The new name of the old SEAL Team 6 was in my post above, they call it DEV-Group now.
have you got their tasking profile handy? The last one I saw was completely different in wording than the rest of the sister units. (It basically meant the same thing, but there was an obvious attempt to cloud association and separate their operational blessings. I'd thought their new name was a bit longer though. I might have had a brain fart and confused taskings with titles. ;)

A

Aussie Digger

The "Naval Special Warfare Development Group" is their full title now apparently. I found an article on the DEV-GROUP on the Special Operations website I posted earlier, here it is:

The Naval Special Warfare Development Group (formerly known as MOB 6, SEAL Team SIX, and MARESFAC) based at Dam Neck, Virginia, is responsible for U.S. counterterrorist operations in the maritime environment. Its origin can be traced to the aftermath of the failed 1980 attempted to rescue American hostages at the Iranian Embassy (Operation Eagle Claw). Prior to this, the SEALs had already begun CT training, including all 12 platoons in SEAL Team One on the West Coast. On the East Coast, however, elements of the SEAL Team Two had taken the issue one step farther. They formed a dedicated two-platoon group known as "MOB Six" (short for Mobility Six) in anticipation of a maritime scenario requiring a CT response and had begun training (including the development of advanced tactics such as "fast roping") to that end. Yet, as was the case with the US Army's initial CT unit - Blue Light - and Delta Force, only one group was needed and could be recognized as official. With the formal creation of SEAL Team Six (a name selected primarily to confuse Soviet intelligence as to the number of SEAL Teams in operation) in October 1980, MOB Six was demobilized. A large number of members, however, including the former MOB Six commander, were asked to join the fledgling group. With prior experience from these operators, aggressive leadership, and an accelerated training program, SEAL Team Six was declared mission-ready just six months later.

Training for Six was conducted throughout the United States and abroad, both on military and civilian facilities on an extremely accelerated schedule. Exchange programs and joint trainings were expanded with the more experienced international teams such as Germany's GSG-9, Great Britain's Special Boat Squadrons (SBS), and France's combat divers. In all cases, emphasis was placed on realism in training, in accordance with the "Train as you Fight, Fight as you Train" philosophy popular amongst most of the world's leading special operations and CT units. Six participated in a number of operations, both overt and covert, throughout the 1980's (see list at the end of this section) before being revamped and renamed. The reasons for this transformation are vague, however the primary factor cited has been the need for the unit to evolved out of a poor reputation of the group within the Navy. A great deal of controversy was generated due to charges of misappropriation of funds and equipment by team members, as well as the conviction of unit founder Cdr. Richard Marcinko on charges of conspiracy, conflict of interest, making false claims against the government, and bribery. He was sentenced to nearly two years in a Federal penitentiary in addition to being forced to pay a $10,000 fine. Despite this turn of events, Marcinko is still revered in some SEAL circles as an almost mythical figure. This status was attained, in no small part, to a best selling-book series which centers around fictional maritime special operations and counterterrorism.

Soon after the departure of Cdr. Marcinko, the unit's name "SEAL Team Six" was changed to "DevGroup" but only after they decided that the name MARESFAC (pronounced Mariz-fack) was just not a reasonable cover. MARESFAC stood for Marine Research Facility. This name (MARESFAC) was used for a short time, but the reality of the situation soon caused planners to rethink their OPSEC. Given the obviously (visibly) high level of physical conditioning of the men entering and leaving the facility, it was soon determined that such a cover was not reasonable. In short, it was decided that not even a casual observer would believe that such well-muscled and trim men could possibly make up the bulk of the scientific research facility staff. For this reason, it was soon changed to the more plausible (if equally vague) DevGroup for Special Weapons and Tactics Development Group.

The US government has described the Naval Special Warfare Development Group as having been established to oversee development of NSW tactics, equipment, and techniques. This, of course, is only partly true. The unit is under the direct command of NAVSPECWARCOM, however it is also a component of Joint Special Operations Command (JSOC - Pope AFB, North Carolina), along with other CT units such as Delta Force and the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment (SOAR). It was rumored that DEVGRU maintained a small number of HH-60 helicopters, but the majority of aviation requirements are provided by the 160th SOAR, especially in support of ship assaults, which frequently make use of the small MH-6 "Little Bird" (operated exclusively by the 160th).

The Teams:

Red (Assault with Indian as mascot)
Gold (Premier Assault Team)
Blue (Assault)
Gray (Transpo)
Black (Recon/Surveillance)
Green (New personnel, in training)

Each team has "Cells", such as an Evasion and Recovery Cell (the new name for E&E is now E&R), a Force Protection Cell (military version of VIP Protection detail), a Sniper Cell, etc.

At any one time all members of the team will be in one of three categories on the base:
1. SPECTRA (pronounced "spec-tray" and standing for SPECial TRAining where the team goes to HALO, shooting schools, etc.)
2. Standby (this team is on-standby - via beeper - within a certain distance from base and ready to deploy at a moment's notice)
3. Deployment (this team is overseas, for instance conducting foreign training with a host nation, acting as security at an embassy, performing missions as needed, etc.)

On the Compound at Dam Neck there is a $25 million kill house with armor plated walls to prevent penetration of live rounds. The walls are also completely covered with rubber to facilitate a 360 degree shooting situation. The original killhouse facility was destroyed in an accidental fire and a new one built in its place. This ultra-modern three story building has been fitted with the latest in CQB technology, such as pop up targets, turners, movers, video cameras, catwalks and other essential components.

Organization and manpower of the Group is classified, however is estimated that NSWDG now numbers approximately 200 operators. There is also an administrative and testing section, which numbers approximately 300 personnel. These individuals are responsible for the actual testing and development of new NAVSPECWAR equipment, including weapons. It has been reported that DEVGRU is one of only a handful of US units authorized to conduct preemptive actions against terrorists and terrorist facilities( NOTE: Red Cell once shared this charter, although it was never put into practice before the unit was disbanded). DEVGRU operators reportedly fire an average of 2,500 to 3,000 rounds per week in training.

Operations

1985 - Six deployed to the site of the Achille Lauro hijacking in anticipation of a possible assault on the vessel.

1985 - SEAL Team Six members were also responsible for the rescue and evacuation of Governor Sir Paul Scoon from Grenada during Operation Urgent Fury. Four SEALs were lost to drowning during helicopter insertion offshore. Other aspect of the operation included the securing of a radio transmitter which resulted in heavy contact with Grenadian forces.

1989 - The unit took part in Operation Just Cause as part of Task Force White, which included SEAL Team Two. Their primary task, along with Delta Force, was the location and securing of Panamanian strongman Manuel Noriega.

1990 - They again operated in Panama as part of a secret operation code-named "Pokeweed" which had as its goal the apprehension of Colombian drug lord Pablo Escobar. Although Six was deployed from the US aircraft carrier USS Forrestal offshore, the mission was unsuccessful due to poor pre-assault intelligence.

1991 - SEAL Team Six reportedly recovered Haitian President Jean Bertrand Aristide under cover of darkness following the coup which deposed him.

1991 - Six was also part of contingency planning for the shooting down Saddam Hussein's personal helicopter with Stinger missiles, although this operation never got beyond the planning stage.

1996 - The unit reportedly deployed to Atlanta, Georgia as part of a large US counterterrorist contingency plan for the 1996 Summer Olympics. (NOTE: The Federal Bureau of Investigation's Hostage Rescue Team [HRT] is responsible for domestic CT and was the primary response unit).

1998 - Deployed to hunt for Bosnian war crimes suspects.

Hope this helps. This is probably about as much as you will find out on the Internet.... Cheers.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Excellent summary! One of the few times that I didn't save a link, so I'm glad you had it nearby.

cheers. gary

A

Aussie Digger

No worries mate, it's in my "favourites". Without trying to plug the website too much, (I have no affiliation with the website at all), www.specialoperations.com/ has an amazing amount of information and pictures on specwarops units, police tactical teams and para-military units world wide for those interested in that sort of thing. Cheers.