Top 10 Navies

Panzer

We have airforce rankings going on, so how about navies?

Please post your reasons for rankings.

USA will definately be first. So who after USA??

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The USN Reserve fleet is actually the second largest in the world

If its total naval vessels (and not just combatants)

The USN Lift (merchant fleet) is the third largest
and the USN Reserve Lift is the fourth largest

It might pay to restrict this to combatant vessels only.

So:

USN 1st
USN Reserve. 2nd
UK 3rd
Japan 4th
France 5th

big_evil

I have no freakin idea abt the navies...all I know is that US, Uk, Russia, France, China have the most powerful ones.... anyone wants to add details to that?

Panzer

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have no freakin idea abt the navies...all I know is that US, Uk, Russia, France, China have the most powerful ones.... anyone wants to add details to that?
I would add Japan to that list but i am not too sure about Russia.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Panzer said:
It might pay to restrict this to combatant vessels only.
Ok guys combatant vessels only.

Also what about China??
India??
you need to consider the capability of those vessels,

eg Russian still nominally has a large fleet, except that up to 2/3rds of it is sitting in one of the 12 ports in the north west rusting away - absolutely useless - but their penant numbers are still active.

China - to all intents and purposes has a Littoral Fleet, and a significant number of her frigate sized vessels are considered to be obsolete - in fact Japans Navy is more than capable of destroying if not containing the chinese navy - as it currently stands.

I'd argue that at a surface combatant level, India has a more powerful fleet than China, but at the submarine level, I would say that China is more powerful.

See how difficult this is? ;)

If you change the rules and then measure it by an issue of throw weight, then its

USA
Russia
UK (as they have MIRVS on their Tridents)
France
China
Israel (as they have developed nukes to be capped onto their sub launched cruise missiles)
India doesn't have any boomers, and the Yakhont/Brahmos is not nuke capable (yet)

big_evil

people here are forgetting how fast China is upgrading and modernizing its forces... including the army, airforce, and the NAVY!! they're phasing out old stuff and inducting newer stuff... India is only good with surface combatants... submarine wise...even Pakistan is better than india... and leave the indian aircraft carrier away cuz its worthless...dunno y the indianz bought it in the first place.... russia....yess! they MAJORLY need to open their eyes and see the rusting stuff in their docks... and yeah I forgot to mention Japan before...its navy is pretty awesome!

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
big_evil said:
people here are forgetting how fast China is upgrading and modernizing its forces... including the army, airforce, and the NAVY!! they're phasing out old stuff and inducting newer stuff... India is only good with surface combatants... submarine wise...even Pakistan is better than india... and leave the indian aircraft carrier away cuz its worthless...dunno y the indianz bought it in the first place.... russia....yess! they MAJORLY need to open their eyes and see the rusting stuff in their docks... and yeah I forgot to mention Japan before...its navy is pretty awesome!
My comments are based on knowing what China is in the process of upgrading and replacing - they still do not have a surface fleet that could depart home waters and effectively prosecute an effective engagement against Japan or India (for example)

New platforms require new training, they require substantial effort into re-integrating into the existing fleet. China does not have any surface force projection, india OTOH does.

The total number of vessels means nothing, total tonnage means little

capability
throw weight
force projection
autonomous prosecution
training
logistics support
denial capability
surge ability
tempo consistency
integration into other national assets
competency of the officer corp
doctrinal logic

all of the above define what is a capable navy (and army, airforce)

big_evil

I dont see a reason why China in the coming yrs wud not undertake every effort to entirely modernize all its forces no matter what amount of fundin and training required... it has the perfect economy and internal strength and is bound to challenge the US by ....lets say 2060 or I wana be too optimistic then 2030... no other military force wud be near to China's by then.... whether army, airforce, navy or nuclear...

Red aRRow

Forum Bouncer
no other military force wud be near to China's by then.... whether army, airforce, navy or nuclear...
Oh come on...U.S.A and Russia are still there dude. It's not like they're all going to leave the planet anytime soon. :roll

big_evil

Russia's fleet is rusting away and USA has too many DADDY obligations all around the world...I dont think US can at once gather up all its forces at one point if by 2050 China decides to attack with full might at one place...lets say Taiwan... lol think rationally dude!