NATO submarines in Black Sea

hugeness

hi i have been following all the georgia stuff, and i read a report that the USS Dallas nuclear sub was headed to the Black sea.
now it seems its in san fran, but anyway, i thought that US subs were banned from the black sea under the montreax treaty, is this correct, or can turkey let them in if it wants?

thanks

hugeness

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
excuse me? i'm not in a submarine, i was asking about the status of submarines in the black sea... ive been posting on a thread on another site, with lots of what appear to be russian mafia..
i posted what i believed to be an accurate report about the USS Dallas submarine (yes i know the coast guard is there too).. and got my head ripped off about non black sea subs.. it would just be nice if some expert could tell me they were wrong, that s all.

hugeness

excuse me? i'm not in a submarine, i was asking about the status of submarines in the black sea... ive been posting on a thread on another site, with lots of what appear to be russian mafia..
i posted what i believed to be an accurate report about the USS Dallas submarine (yes i know the coast guard is there too).. and got my head ripped off about non black sea subs.. it would just be nice if some expert could tell me they were wrong, that s all.
i am aware turkish (ie NATO) subs do live there quite happily.

Galrahn

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
The USS Dallas returned to port in Groton last week. It is not in the black sea.

There have been no reports in the open source about submarines in the black sea.

hugeness

Excuse You...
now if someone would be so kind as to address my question that would be great, thanks!

DNFTT

If you do not wish to feed the trolls then do not respond to him at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

hugeness

thanks, i think i said that, do you know if US submarines could enter the black sea... ? legally? montreaux treaty and stuff?

Chrom

Earlier this month they visited Cyprus http://www.military.com/news/article/navy-news/uss-momsen-visits-cyprus.html?col=1186032311124 , so it's not impossible for them to get dispatched to the Black Sea. So far it's unconfirmed. I'm sure during the Cold War some USN and other non-Black Sea navies' subs operated there.
USS Dallas (SSN 700)-
http://www.navysite.de/ssn/ssn700.htm
No, during cold war none of nuclear submarines operated in Black Sea. Both prohibited by treaty and useless from military POV.

hugeness

Earlier this month they visited Cyprus http://www.military.com/news/article/navy-news/uss-momsen-visits-cyprus.html?col=1186032311124 , so it's not impossible for them to get dispatched to the Black Sea. So far it's unconfirmed. I'm sure during the Cold War some USN and other non-Black Sea navies' subs operated there.
USS Dallas (SSN 700)-
http://www.navysite.de/ssn/ssn700.htm
thank you.
phew! well thats a bit of progress, basically confirms what i was thinking anyway... ie a cruise missile sub would not need to be in the black sea, only the med. (range 3000km)
it did get me thinking, oh, but this is not the site for such things! back to guardian.co.uk to talk to putins friends.

Firehorse

Banned Member
No, during cold war none of nuclear submarines operated in Black Sea. Both prohibited by treaty and useless from military POV.
Are you sure? Besides, what about conventional subs?
The Navy decided to stop constructing diesel subs in 1956 and decommissioned the last diesel sub used for standard practices in 1990, according to the March 2006 issue of Proceedings. http://www.military.com/features/0,15240,95378,00.html
The USS Dolphin (AGSS-555) was the last US diesel-electric submarine, commissioned on August 17, 1968, and decommissioned on September 22, 2006.
http://www.dieselpowermag.com/news/0702dp_uss_dolphin_diesel_submarine/index.html

2S1

Banned Member

Are you sure Chrom?

It's a very bold and quite frankly very hopeful statement to make.

AegisFC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The USS Dallas returned to port in Groton last week. It is not in the black sea.

There have been no reports in the open source about submarines in the black sea.
Thanks for the info Galrahn. As always you are very informative.

hi i have been following all the georgia stuff, and i read a report that the USS Dallas nuclear sub was headed to the Black sea.
now it seems its in san fran, but anyway, i thought that US subs were banned from the black sea under the montreax treaty, is this correct, or can turkey let them in if it wants?

thanks
What is your source saying that the USS Dallas is in San Fransisco?

Also why didn't you look up the treaty and read it yourself?

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/naval-arms-control-1936.htm

Last edited:

tatra

Verified Defense Pro

thanks
On terminology: 'headed to' is not precise enough. A sub leaving port in Virginia might be 'headed to' Georgia. That doesn't mean it (has) passes into the Black Sea.

Further:

"The International Straits Commission was abolished, authorising the full resumption of Turkish military control over the Straits and the refortification of the Dardanelles. Turkey was authorised to close the Straits to all foreign warships in wartime or when it was threatened by aggression; additionally, it was authorised to refuse transit from merchant ships belonging to countries at war with Turkey. A number of highly specific restrictions were imposed on what type of warships are allowed passage. Non-Turkish warships in the Straits must be under 15,000 tons. No more than nine non-Turkish warships, with a total aggregate tonnage of no more than 30,000 tons, may pass at any one time, and they are permitted to stay in the Straits for no longer than three weeks. The number of foreign warships permitted in the Straits at any one time is restricted to one. Black Sea states are given more leeway, being authorised to send capital ships of any tonnage through the Straits (but only one at a time and specifically excluding aircraft carriers). They are also allowed to send submarines through the Straits, with prior notice, as long as the vessels have been constructed, purchased or sent for repair outside the Black Sea. The less restrictive rules applicable to Black Sea states were agreed as, effectively, a concession to the Soviet Union, the only Black Sea state other than Turkey with any significant number of capital ships or submarines. The passage of civil aircraft between the Mediterranean and Black Seas is permitted, but only along routes authorised by the Turkish government."

"In April 1982, the Convention was amended to allow Turkey to close the Straits at its discretion in peacetime as well as during wartime"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreux_Convention_Regarding_the_Regime_of_the_Turkish_Straits

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/naval-arms-control-1936.htm

Nothing here about submarines not being allowed. Nor that Turkey MUST close the straight. Nuclear submarines were not heard of in 1936 and thus are unaccounted for in the Straits regime, or only to the extent that it specifically adresses submarines (which, depending on interpretation, may or may not be considered surface ships as addressed by the treay). Also, 'during war' means 'when Turkey itself is a belligerent'. Besides, the United States was not a signatory to the Convention.

"The convention applies specific individual and aggregate tonnage and numbers limits. These limitations effectively preclude the transit of capital ships and submarines of non-Black Sea powers through the straits, unless exempted under Article 17. Article 17 of the convention permits a naval force of any tonnage or composition to pay a courtesy visit of limited duration to a port in the straits at the invitation of the Turkish government. In such instances, the tonnage and numbers limitations of the convention do not apply. Warships of non-Black Sea powers may not remain in the Black Sea for longer than 21 days. "
http://www.todayszaman.com/tz-web/detaylar.do?load=detay&link=150811&bolum=102

Finally, if an SSN sailed in quietely (which they typically do), underneath a tanker or something, how would anybody know?

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Besides, the United States was not a signatory to the Convention.
The Montreux convention is not Geneva. It does not only apply to its signatories, in fact in theory not abiding by it could be taken as a casus belli by the signatories.
Montreux was created to abandon the occupied Straits Zone, and return the Straits to Turkey.

beleg

Finally, if an SSN sailed in quietely (which they typically do), underneath a tanker or something, how would anybody know?
Although Bosporus is wide and deep enough for subs to sail submerged ,trust me you wouldn't want to send one of your SSNs under a tanker. Safe transit in Bosporus depends heavily on weather conditions due to the geography of the place. Sometimes the wind and the currents can prevent 100.000 ton tankers from taking the sharp 80degree angels and they can hit the shore. Especially when sailing to north at its narrowest point of Kandilli-Asiyan Bosporus is merely 700m wide and the currents may exceed 7knots on calm days.

Can it be done? Yeah sure.. Would you want do do it? Definitely not (during peacetime anyway).

As far as i know subs are required to sail at surface and don't think SSNs are classified different than other warships/subs in terms of Montreux convention.

swerve

Super Moderator
...Black Sea states are given more leeway, being authorised to send capital ships of any tonnage through the Straits (but only one at a time and specifically excluding aircraft carriers). ...
This clause is often taken to prohibit the passage of aircraft carriers, but in fact it only excludes them from benefiting from the right of passage for capital ships of Black Sea states, by specifically stating that the definition of capital ships does not include aircraft carriers. There is no other mention of them in the convention.

Aircraft carriers therefore come under the general tonnage limit. In practice, this meant at the time (1936) that quite a few light carriers could sail freely through the straits, but nowadays excludes every carrier in the world except perhaps Chakri Naruebet & Giuseppe Garibaldi. It also defines aircraft carriers rather narrowly, therefore permitting the Turks to accept the Soviet claim that their carriers, with their batteries of SSMs, were covered by the capital ships exemption.

As Beleg says. I wouldn't want to be in that sub. Minimum depth of the channel is only 36 metres. Hull ca 10 metres diameter, plus height of sail, plus draught of a large ship - how much clearance are you going to have, above & below? And you have to do the same in the Dardanelles, where AFAIK the minimum depth is much the same, but the average depth is less, so there are more tight sections. There are surface & underwater currents flowing in opposite directions, & sharp bends at the narrowest points. In the words of one shipping website "All the dangers and obstacles characteristic of narrow waterways are present and acute in this critical sea lane."

About the Bosporus -
"At the narrowest point, Kandilli (700 m), a 45 degree course alteration is required. The current can reach 7-8 knots at this point. At Yenikoy, the necessary course alteration is 80 degrees.

At the above mentioned turns (Kandilli and Yenikoy) where significant course alterations have to be made, the rear and forward sights are totally blocked prior to and during the course alteration. The ships approaching from the opposite direction cannot be seen round these bends."

And the Dardanelles -
"A very sharp course alteration is needed at the narrowest point. (More than 90 degrees)"

Last edited: