Libya's new Coast Guard?!

drg

Okay, I completely missed this piece of information (when it came out).
Here: http://jdw.janes.com/public/jdw/index.shtml, it reports that Libya has bought two patrol boats, built in Croatia, for its "newly-established" coast guard.
I'd always assumed that the Libyans already had a coast guard.
It doesn't seem to be spending up big, though, so amybe it's not going to be a major force in the area.
Any thoughts?

The Libyan Navy has some very old ships. Sarkozy will be trying to sell some Gowinds to the Libyans on Gaddafi's visit in December.

neillrush

Libyan CG

Libya's Coast guard have in fact ordered 10 of these 32m patrol boats (PV30-LS) from Adria-Mar, very fast, very stable and "Stealth". The first two were prototypes delivered in May 2006, of around 130-tons, subsequent vessels were modified after evaluation and the weight reduced to around 116-tons, the 2nd pair were due to be delivered to Libya last month but were delayed due to "Operation Noble Midas 07" and the third pair are fitting out at present in the Bay of Bakar. The Libyan's are so impressed with the Croatian ships they are looking to order a 60-82m Patrol Boat/Corvette with a displacement of 1000-1500-tons, and they are cheaper than a Gowind!!!
Rgds Neill
http://www.gogibraltarsite.com/MediterraneanNavalNews.html

Ragusian

The Libyan's are so impressed with the Croatian ships they are looking to order a 60-82m Patrol Boat/Corvette with a displacement of 1000-1500-tons, and they are cheaper than a Gowind!!!
Rgds Neill
I've heard it's the 62 metre stealth corvette they are interested in. Designed by the same company that did the PV30-LS.
The bigger corvette(the 80-meter) is being designed for the Croatian Navy by the Naval intitute in zagreb and as far is I know, it's not for sale... yet.
And these 2 pictures I'm attaching are showing a Lybian IBN OUF, built originally in France in the 70s', being towed for a refit in Croatia .

Most other corvettes will be cheaper than the Gowinds, but they're top-tier corvettes. The Moroccans will probably buy Dutch Sigma corvettes. They are a very good ship considering their price to the Gowind. A country that is in a very hot region like Israel, a Gowind type vessel would be the better buy.

Gowind 120 Pic

http://users.ntua.gr/ge00238/gowind/gowind120.jpg

Last edited:

contedicavour

Currently the Libyan navy has 1 operational Koni class corvette, a couple of Nanuchka light corvettes and half a dozen FACs (mix of Combattante II and Osa II) and a couple of LSTs used for training.
When the tender for replacement of corvettes and FACs will come out, expect also the Russians to propose their latest 22080 or even Gepards. However we don't know what Gheddafi will want to buy since it's not money he lacks, but training and qualified personnel. He could even buy Russian Kilo SSKs (or Lada class) since Libya used to have 6 Foxtrots...
OPV(H) would be though the most logical ships to buy to patrol their long coastline. Anybody want some Comandanti OPVs ;) ?

cheers

mic of orion

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Libya is getting three Molniya-class boats from Russia. I don't know if those are destined for the coast guard or not.

ahtashns

Lcg

The PV30-LS craft, designed for anti-smuggling and search-and-rescue missions, are ‎powered by two Deutz TBD630 marine diesels and have a maximum speed of more ‎than 30 knots.‎

According to Jane's Navy International, Adria-Mar officials say that Tripoli has ‎shown "strong interest" in the company's proposal for a 200-foot patrol vessel with ‎longer range and capable of carrying a light helicopter.