Displacement, full load 91 487 tons

20 x F-14D Bomcat
36 x F/A-18 Hornet
8 x S-3A/B Viking
4 x E-2C Hawkeye
4 x EA-6B Prowler
4 x SH-60F
2 x HH-60H

I bet some of these are patroling close to Iraq and Iran :)

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Aussie Digger

The largest and most powerful warships ever built

Nimitz class aircraft carriers

Length 317 m
Beam 40.8 m
Draught 11.3 m
Flight deck length 332.9 m
Flight deck width 76.8 m
Displacement, standard 81 600 tons
Displacement, full load 91 487 tons

20 x F-14D Bomcat
36 x F/A-18 Hornet
8 x S-3A/B Viking
4 x E-2C Hawkeye
4 x EA-6B Prowler
4 x SH-60F
2 x HH-60H

I bet some of these are patroling close to Iraq and Iran :)
Yes. Obviously. And?

This website is designed for the DISCUSSION of military related topics, not one-off statements about a particular platform.

Discuss the Nimitz class, ask questions, whatever you like, but don't simply cut and paste info from somewhere else.

A quick read of the forum rules will enlighten you I'm sure. You've got an hour to fix it up before I delete the thread.

The forum rules can be read here:

http://defencetalk.com/forums/rules.php

Cheers

AD.

ever4244

Maybe we should talk about which is the most powerful battleship in WW2 ------excluded carrier.
Personally I like Bismarck best;
Even through it s not the largest ,but it s tough and balanced between power speed and defence .

USNavySEAL3310

USS Iowa, supported Normandy invasion and lived up through the Korean war. She was the lead ship of her battleship class.

Displacement: 45,000 tons
Length: 887 ft 3 in (270 m)
Beam: 108 ft 2 in (32.9 m)
Draft: 37 ft 2 in (11.3 m)
Speed: 33 knots (61 km/h)
Complement: 151 officers, 2637 enlisted
Armament:
1943 9 16 in (406 mm) 50 cal. Mark 7 guns
20 5 in (127 mm) 38 cal. Mark 12 guns
80 40 mm 56 cal. anti-aircraft guns
49 20 mm 70 cal. anti-aircraft guns
1983 9 16 in (406 mm) 50 cal. Mark 7 guns
12 5 in (127 mm) 38 cal. Mark 12 guns
32 BGM-109 Tomahawk cruise missiles
16 RGM-84 Harpoon Anti-Ship missiles
4 20 mm 76 cal. Phalanx CIWS
(Wikipedia)

contedicavour

Back to WW2, I'd say the Yamato battleships of the Japanese Navy. If they hadn't been used so foolishly on a suicide mission against Okinawa :rolleyes:

Nowadays, it's the USN carriers or the SSBNs... a Ohio class SSBN could pulverize 18 large agglomerations... :shudder

cheers

LancerMc

IJN Yamato Class

They were largest battleships ever made, at over 67,000 tons. While a failure in history because of carriers, they were still impressive ships in their own right and would have given any USN fast battleship a run for their money.

Kirov Classier Battlecruisers

An ambitious design, ment to take on an entire carrier battle group. ARMED TO THE TEETH!

contedicavour

IJN Yamato Class

They were largest battleships ever made, at over 67,000 tons. While a failure in history because of carriers, they were still impressive ships in their own right and would have given any USN fast battleship a run for their money.

Kirov Classier Battlecruisers

An ambitious design, ment to take on an entire carrier battle group. ARMED TO THE TEETH!
Regarding the Kirov/Ushakov class battlecruisers, their ASUW (shipwreck SSMs) and AAW (grumble SAMs) capabilities are impressive, but they are weak on ASW. While that may have been the job of the Udaloy ASW destroyers, the ship on its own is relatively vulnerable to a missile/torpedo attack by 2 or 3 SSN/SSKs.

cheers

Galrahn

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Regarding the Kirov/Ushakov class battlecruisers, their ASUW (shipwreck SSMs) and AAW (grumble SAMs) capabilities are impressive, but they are weak on ASW. While that may have been the job of the Udaloy ASW destroyers, the ship on its own is relatively vulnerable to a missile/torpedo attack by 2 or 3 SSN/SSKs.
Does anyone know if the Admiral Nakhimov or Pyotr Velikiy have had their sonars upgraded? With modern sonars and three modern ASW helicopters, it would seem the platform would have the tools for robust ASW, the question is whether the crew is trained well enough to use the tools.

boldeagle

Big 10-4, Big-E

Ohio by far.. that CVW isn't even current.

Yes, the American CVNs no longer carry F-14 ("retired" in late Sep 2006) or S-3 ("retired" even earlier!), having traded them for even more F-18, mostly F-18E & F-18F "Super Hornet". Since the S-3 used to provide significant ASW "punch", their loss is to be lamented, especially since now, even a Chinese diesel sub can (and recently, DID) surface within torpedo range of one of the CVNs off Taiwan!:nutkick

Pleasant screams...:vamp

abramsteve

Iowa class battlewagon! Not only the best all round class of battleship built, but also the best looking. As far as a Yamato v Iowa showdown, my moneys on the Iowa every time. They were faster, had superior fire control, and fired a shell that whilst smaller, had the same impact/explosive qualities of the larger shell fired by the Yamato.

LancerMc

I don't doubt that an Iowa class BB could pose a grave threat to a Yamato BB. At long range both ships are nearly equal in fire power, but if an Iowa were to come into close range the Yamato it would pose a graver threat. True the Iowa's were 6 knots faster, but also remember the American's thought the Yamato's had 15.9 inch guns with less range and fire power then their 16 inch guns. Only did the USN learn after the war that the ships were equiped with much larger 18.2 inch cannons. The Yamato's were also equiped with 24 6in & 5in guns or then the Iowa's 20 5in guns. All around the Yamato's armor was significantly more then the Iowa's, but the Iowa had a much longer cruising radius. I would say they were pretty fairly matched, but in reality both were obsolete because of carrier airpower.

abramsteve

Maybe mate, but speed, maneuverability, and as stated before, superior fire control means that the she wont give a Yamato and easy shot, and never sit still and go blow for blow with her.

Agree though about them both being obcelete, but the Yamato was more obcelete than an Iowa....:)

Big-E

Banned Member
I think pound for the pound the ABs are the most powerful ships ever built. If needed you can loadout with nothing but 1000lb TLAMs.

knightrider4

Ab

Yeah when you consider that these warships are capable of concurrent ASW, ASuW & AAW as well as strike it's a potent package.

AegisFC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I think pound for the pound the ABs are the most powerful ships ever built. If needed you can loadout with nothing but 1000lb TLAMs.
For the most part I agree, but the Tico's may egde them out a bit because of the 2 guns and more VLS cells.

Galrahn

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I think pound for the pound the ABs are the most powerful ships ever built.
I used to think so too.

Actually, the Spanish F100 Alvaro de Bazan Air-Defense Frigate class holds the distinction for delivering the most missiles per ton than any ship (over 2000 tons) in the world.

With its standard load of 28 SM-2s, 4 RGM-109s, 64 ESSMs, and 8 Harpoons the Alvaro de Bazan 'stardard' loadout includes 104 missiles on a 5800-ton platform.

The AB Flight IIA on the other hand deploys 108 missiles on a 9200-ton platform (typically only 16 ESSMs deploy on DDG-79 forward, 8 Harpoons on DDG 51-78 for only 100 missiles). The US also deploys RUM-139s in VLS, the Spanish don't.

If needed you can loadout with nothing but 1000lb TLAMs.
True, but any VLS system 'could' do that, but nobody ever will again unless the situation is dire because it puts too many eggs in one basket. A little history...

The only time something like this was ever done was the USS San Jacinto during Gulf War I, which deployed with 122 Tomahawks. In the end, the Navy concerns were so high due to its incredibly expensive payload, the USS San Jacinto operated in the Red Sea throughout the entire Gulf War, and only fired 14 Tomahawks during the war.

If I remember correctly, at the end of the war the US had used something like 288 Tomahawk missiles in the Gulf War. There was something like 140 Tomahawks in inventory in the states at the end of the war, with the rest of the remaining US Tomahawks onboard ships, with the USS San Jacinto carrying 108, which was close to the entire inventory reserve back in the states. The Navy gave the ship the distinction of "Special Weapons Platform" until it returned home.

Last edited:

aaaditya

Back to WW2, I'd say the Yamato battleships of the Japanese Navy. If they hadn't been used so foolishly on a suicide mission against Okinawa :rolleyes:

Nowadays, it's the USN carriers or the SSBNs... a Ohio class SSBN could pulverize 18 large agglomerations... :shudder

cheers
yamato may be the largest warship ,but definitely not the most powerfull,these vessels were considered to be quite vulnerable as they had a lot of design defects.i would rate the smaller bismarck as a more powerfull vessel.

Big-E

Banned Member
yamato may be the largest warship ,but definitely not the most powerfull,these vessels were considered to be quite vulnerable as they had a lot of design defects.i would rate the smaller bismarck as a more powerfull vessel.
Agreed... the Yamato class had defective belt armor and their gunnery was appaling. Without the advent of radar range finding the Japanese were left in the dark. The Bismark's FuMO (FunkMessOrtungsgeräte) gunnery radar was revolutionary of battleships, at the time she was the deadliest warship afloat.

Status
Not open for further replies.